• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Foster kids removed because of foster parents' politics.

Morgellons

I remember reading somewhere in the run up to the last referendum that people were worried that the state would take away their children because of their political views. It struck me at the time as being highly unlikely that such a thing would ever happen but here in this case, as read in the Telegraph, exactly that has happened. Very well, here the parents were foster parents but still the dynamics are easy to recognise, and with this story in mind it's now becoming easier for me to understand those muted fears from before the Referendum.

Foster parents 'stigmatised and slandered’ for being members of Ukip - Telegraph

Morgellons

Yeah, I just posted this about it on another thread:

(note that her great defense against this insanity is " but,but, I have mixed races in my family, I can't be racist ")
Ah, what a sad time we live in.

Excuse me Alara, I didn't know you have posted on the matter.

rainmaker

Administrator
Typical Telegraph/Mail type sensationalist nonesense.

They are only able to effectively give one side of the story, as the local authority cannot say too much for legal reasons of confidentiality.

People having foster children removed for being members of a mainstream political party would be illegal for start.

“Then one of them said, 'Well, Ukip have got racist policies’. The implication was that we were racist. [The social worker] said Ukip does not like European people and wants them all out of the country to be returned to their own countries.
Somehow I do not think if social workers were engaging in such an illegal removal they would be so stupid as too openly state that.

Mercurial

The story is hopelessly one-sided, treating the unsubstantiated claims of the foster parents as though they are fact.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
The story is hopelessly one-sided, treating the unsubstantiated claims of the foster parents as though they are fact.
I'm glad you don't approve of rushing to judgement without getting all the facts of a case...

JohnG

I'm a member of UKIP and I'm not a racist. There are no racists in our party. We do not allow anyone who has EVER been a member of any racist party or organisation (EDL, BNP etc) to join us.

This is an outrage. The people responsible needs to be fired and banned from ever holding any similar position ever again.

Sync

1. UKIP aren't a racist party.
2. Even if UKIP had racist policies, its still a lawful party and that in and of itself shouldn't be enough to disqualify people from fostering.
3. There's only one side of the story portrayed in the article, and only the word of he foster parents word that this is why they were discounted. No one in their right mind can make a judgement on the situation based on this article.
4. UKIP asking for a "decree" from the government that they're not a racist party is the stupidest part of the entire tale.

ManUnited

1. UKIP aren't a racist party.
2. Even if UKIP had racist policies, its still a lawful party and that in and of itself shouldn't be enough to disqualify people from fostering.
3. There's only one side of the story portrayed in the article, and only the word of he foster parents word that this is why they were discounted. No one in their right mind can make a judgement on the situation based on this article.
4. UKIP asking for a "decree" from the government that they're not a racist party is the stupidest part of the entire tale.
I disagree with 2. Belonging to a racist party should definitely bar anyone from fostering children. Racists aren't born, they are made.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
(1) This is in the UK and totally irrelevant to our recent referendum, despite the OP's linking of the 2.
(2) These are foster parents. Not parents at all but minders. Again totally irrelevant to any discussion about parents' rights.
(3) Not racist? They are more subtle than the BNP, I'll give them that. What to UKIP say to BNP? "Shhh!"

Kevin Ryan

Typical Telegraph/Mail type sensationalist nonesense.

They are only able to effectively give one side of the story, as the local authority cannot say too much for legal reasons of confidentiality.

People having foster children removed for being members of a mainstream political party would be illegal for start.

Somehow I do not think if social workers were engaging in such an illegal removal they would be so stupid as too openly state that.
I think you are being too optimistic. The BBC is now reporting on the story, having spoken to the Council's 'Strategic Director of Children and Young People's Services'. It really doesn't look good for the Council:
"We always try to place children in a sensible cultural placement. These children are not UK children and we were not aware of the foster parents having strong political views. There are some strong views in the UKIP party and we have to think of the future of the children."
BBC News - UKIP couple have foster children removed from care

It now seems the Council is operating a bar on UKIP members fostering 'foreign' children, which is nuts. I really have no time for that party, but while I'm sure it has a fair few racists in its ranks, so does the Conservative Party. UKIP is not the BNP.

EPluribusUnum

I remember reading somewhere in the run up to the last referendum that people were worried that the state would take away their children because of their political views. It struck me at the time as being highly unlikely that such a thing would ever happen but here in this case, as read in the Telegraph, exactly that has happened. Very well, here the parents were foster parents but still the dynamics are easy to recognise, and with this story in mind it's now becoming easier for me to understand those muted fears from before the Referendum.

Foster parents 'stigmatised and slandered’ for being members of Ukip - Telegraph
Except that foster parents do not have the legal rights of natural/legal parents. So you get the point, they aren't really the foster parents, though that's what we call them. The state (govt.) itself is the foster custodian of the child(ren). As such, it has presumably decided to leave the child(ren) in the care of others.

Sync

I think you are being too optimistic. The BBC is now reporting on the story, having spoken to the Council's 'Strategic Director of Children and Young People's Services'. It really doesn't look good for the Council:
"We always try to place children in a sensible cultural placement. These children are not UK children and we were not aware of the foster parents having strong political views. There are some strong views in the UKIP party and we have to think of the future of the children."
BBC News - UKIP couple have foster children removed from care

It now seems the Council is operating a bar on UKIP members fostering 'foreign' children, which is nuts. I really have no time for that party, but while I'm sure it has a fair few racists in its ranks, so does the Conservative Party. UKIP is not the BNP.

If true the it depends on how the parents answered the questions put to them really. If they were asked " do you think all foreign children should be repatriated" and they said yes then it's hard to say that this is a culturally appropriate place to have the kids. Lots of UKIP voters are there simply due to economic reasons though, it shouldn't simply be a blanket block on UKIP members from fostering.

D

Dylan2010

Like I said above, UKIP is the smart educated subtle wing of the BNP.
Any time Ive heard Nigel on the box its nromally anty EU / Big government stuff , they even wore the "green jersey" at one stage at EU meetings. Any links to where they want repatriation of ethnic groups etc that a racist party must have as its views?

stopdoingstuff

Any links to their "racist" policies? This whole affair in an outrage. Ukip's raison d'etre is to change the UK's relationship with the EU and restore the UK's independence, as they see it. There is no justification at all for the councils actions- it is the worst kind of politicized bias and shows just how malign the influence of the EU has become, since it has now gotten to the stage that being anti-EU makes one unfit to look after children. I wonder what Daniel Cohen-Bendit thinks.

Seanie Lemass

It is not far fetched at all. I know of a family who had a foster child taken away from them in the 1980s because they were republicans.

It does illustrate the dangers of ceding power to faceless officials. I was in college with people who were on "social science" courses and became social welfare officials. I would seriously dread to think that anybody's life depended on the whims of such eijits to be quite honest. They were that terrible combination of naivety, self righteousness and slightly above average intelligence.

If the stated reasons for removing the children are true, then this is very disturbing indeed.

rainmaker

Administrator
I agree completely.

I am very interested to know the outcomes of any investigations into this decision.

damoireland

I disagree with 2. Belonging to a racist party should definitely bar anyone from fostering children. Racists aren't born, they are made.
You sound like you would have made a great Argentinian/ Chilean General in the 80's, what with your support for forcibly removing children from their parents for holding different political beliefs to yours?

Would you like those who hold different beliefs to yours also to be imprisoned? Tortured perhaps?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies