• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

GDPR

Stop being silly, Ted. The idea that anyone who matters would like Ireland to rejoin the UK is for the birds (I'm probably putting it more politely than the idea deserves).

There are three choices: a reversal of Brexit (or Britain at least remaining in the Customs Union), a customs border on the Irish Sea or a hard border.

Of the three, a customs border on the Irish Sea seems to me the least likely.

One wonders, though, what'll happen after the next election in Britain.
I've not seen anyone advocating the second option, I merely presented it, given that a customs union or reversal of Brexit are not even remote options currently. This then brings things around to a United Ireland, as the only player in town to avoid a hard border. Maybe the UK will ride in late on and surprise us all, or maybe unicorns will fly, one never knows.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Tribalism in Ireland exists. It's a reality. And it exists mainly because of the ever-present determination of the Orange Order to propagate the lie that the survival of Protestantism in Ireland depends on the maintenance of the union.
I'm not going to argue with you about that. I happen to think it's a bad thing, and that people shouldn't contribute to its perpetuation.

The common habit of cracking stupid triumphalist jokes more often than not contributes to its perpetuation. And the silly crack that "We" should give "them" Rathlin Island falls under that heading, imo.

That is all I'm saying. I don't know where you got the idea that I was denying its existence.

The Field Marshal

I've not seen anyone advocating the second option, I merely presented it, given that a customs union or reversal of Brexit are not even remote options currently. This then brings things around to a United Ireland, as the only player in town to avoid a hard border. Maybe the UK will ride in late on and surprise us all, or maybe unicorns will fly, one never knows.
The Unionists plus many Catholics do not want a united Ireland.

The best way imo to achieve a solution is for a cross border conference of all Irish politicians to occur and for them to thrash out a solution.

British and Eu mainland politicians trying to attend will be arrested.

GDPR

Nonsense, there are far more options than that.
Of course there are, if the UK decides to be serious, but in the absence of any such evidence that they give a toss about Ireland or the north, or wake up and realise that the EU is not going to cave in at the last minute, then one comes to the United Ireland option.

GDPR

The best way imo to achieve a solution is for a cross border conference of all Irish politicians to occur and for them to thrash out a solution.

Interesting idea, which of our prisons would serve us the best?

The Field Marshal

Interesting idea, which of our prisons would serve us the best?
The one with the worst record for health care.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I've never understood the insistence on writing "United Ireland" with a capital "U". Makes it look like a religion. Personally, I'd settle for a united Ireland.

The Field Marshal

I've never understood the insistence on writing "United Ireland" with a capital "U". Makes it look like a religion. Personally, I'd settle for a united Ireland.
What use is a united Ireland if a pile of unionists and some Catholics hate the idea?
It simply will not work without large scale consent in NI.

The solution is a binding free trade federal arrangement between North and South that gives total autonomy to each section.

EU and British mainland must then suck it up.

Strawberry

Its because people are thinking of United States and United Kingdom. You are right though it should be united Ireland because in the event of unity the country wouldn't be called United Ireland, it would just be Ireland.

Paddyc

you've got the biggest mouth going, I know that.
threatening us with the eu, jesus christ.
like we give a s h i t?

how about we make an exchange then eh? all the scummy micks from the uk for all our brethren in the north?
actually nah, f u ck that, threats from little micks ain't gonna soften our resolve.

prepared for peace, ready for war.
and u better believe it u bogtrotters.
and next time the gloves will be off, raf wiping out entire council estates in londonderry, the royal artillery ************************-ing up cork when all you s h i tbags have retreated south like cowards, oh you better believe you little no-ones. The paras will take dublin in a day, who r ya!??!!?!??!?!!?

you wanna see how us brits really do war, take a look at cologne, hamburg, dresden and berlin in 1945.

all f u c king mouth, thats all u are mick scum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sym94ZrLKY8
Do you want to wipe off the screen after you've finished?

firefly123

That,s idiotic.
The U.K. and the Unionist politicians have said no, that is out.
Do you understand English?

The Irish politicians do not want a hard border, understandably.
I suspect also that neither do the NI politicians of either hue.

The solution is for Varaker , Foster and the other politicians north and south to hold an all island conference to decide the matter and to shut out all mainland UK politicians and all EU non Irish politicians.

This is a problem for the people of the island of Ireland to solve without outside interface.

So Clear off Teresa May! Junkers, Barnier and all the rest of the EU meddlers.
I know. It's mad that no one has tried tried this yet!
Oh wait...
All-Ireland Brexit forum a 'grandstanding exercise' says Arlene Foster - The Irish News

All-Ireland Brexit forum a 'grandstanding exercise' says Arlene Foster

STORMONT'S first minister has aimed a stinging broadside at the Irish government's all-Ireland Brexit forum, insisting she had better things to do than listen to a lot of "grandstanding remoaners".

Democratic Unionist leader Arlene Foster has already declined an invite to attend next week's "civic dialogue" event in Dublin, which has been organised by Taoiseach Enda Kenny to discuss the fall-out from the referendum result.

GDPR

what your eu gonna do when we've got our vanguard subs threatening their cities, idiots.

bring it on, unfinished business, can't wait till berlin is nothing but ash

little micks, bring it on, we can't wait.
Drugs and Anti-GFA Republicanism taken to trolling are not it seems a good combination.

firefly123

A Catholic can be a unionist. Unionism isn't a specific religion

firefly123

Its because people are thinking of United States and United Kingdom. You are right though it should be united Ireland because in the event of unity the country wouldn't be called United Ireland, it would just be Ireland.
We could call it ireland united and get sponsorship on our flag!

The Field Marshal

The EU would insist on border checks on our side too. The potential for the border to become an opportunity for criminality is too great. I believe the only way out of this is for the middle ground in the north to support a united Ireland. It may take the reality of a border to encourage the shift.
To whom does the island of Ireland belong?

I always thought it belonged to the people living on it.

As such it is up to them alone to determine its future .

It is my strong belief that 99% of all people on this island do not want a re erection of any internal border.

Therefore they must do-operate to inform non residents of this island to clear off now and let us make our own arrangements to overcome these external difficulties.

Paddyc

I say call Irelands bluff.

UK should state if there is no deal and a hard border is to be introduced. Have a United Ireland referendum. If an United Ireland passes - no need for border. If it fails, hard border until a deal can be agreed post-Brexit.

Watch Leinster House s**t the bed at the thought of paying for Northern Ireland.
Watch the City of London s**t the bed at the thought of being outside the single market for services.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom