• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Foul men's toilets in Dublin Busáras

Shqiptar

I really hope that very few (preferably none) of those French rugby fans who were here for the big match last weekend had to answer the call of nature whilst in Dublin Busáras. If they did, the visual and olfactory experience might just have been enough to send them scurrying for the nearest plane or train back to La Belle France.

The gent's toilets in Dublin Busáras are poorly maintained, filthy and disgusting. I've been complaining to the powers that be for ages but they're just getting worse. On the day I took the photos below, there were actually doors on all the cubicles which was in itself unusual. You might have needed to have been sitting down with one foot pressed against the doors to keep them closed but at least there were doors this time. What? Locks? Don't be silly. It's far from locked toilet doors you were reared. Same goes for coat hooks.

Filthy walls and floors, gaping holes in the ceiling where presumably a fan was once situated, metal door jams that are falling apart, toilet seats with stains of unknown origin and telephone numbers scrawled here and there should you want to have sex with another man - this is what greets folks from foreign lands when they arrive off the airport bus. Of all the facilities I've come across in bus and train stations around Europe, only Gara de Nord in Bucharest compares.

Take a bow, Bus Éireann staff - but hold on to these officious hats. Ye don't want them falling the goo.

[video=youtube;4D_AtXGN-jY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_AtXGN-jY[/video]

enuffisenuff

Yep....its a total disgrace....

mr. jings

I used to use Bus Eireann back in the day when I live with my folks on the Trim Road. The jacks were always foul there, and slightly creepy too.

Shqiptar

I complained about a guy taking pictures in the men's toilet.
I was using the aforementioned facilities a couple of years ago and a guy in the next cubicle stuck his head under the cubicle wall to have a look at me. Charming.

Shqiptar

Write to the Chairman of Bus Eireann.

O wait...........he's working somewhere in the Middle East.............
Meh. He passes it on to some underling who sends a bland reply and nothing happens.

eyelight

I was using the aforementioned facilities a couple of years ago and a guy in the next cubicle stuck his head under the cubicle wall to have a look at me. Charming.
Thought you were into that sort of thing.

corporal punishment

You haven't seen creepy untill you've seen the victorian public toilets in Greenwich near the Ibis hotel. Subterranean and kitted out in tile and oak. It'd be lovely if as I said it wasn't so creepy.

slippy wicket

We're they not always foul, stinking and full of junkies and rent boys.

Shqiptar

Write to the Minister for Transport about it.

It's a transport related matter, and Leo is a *dynamic* young man..................
I might send him this thread and tell that the video is going "viral".

(Which it might just have done by the time the mandarins have figured out what that means.)

FrankSpeaks

There are truly disgusting excuses for human beings in the way they leave public toilets. They smear excrement on walls or leave it or blood on seats, block up loos. Would they do it in their own houses?

NYCKY

I really hope that very few (preferably none) of those French rugby fans who were here for the big match last weekend had to answer the call of nature whilst in Dublin Busáras. If they did, the visual and olfactory experience might just have been enough to send them scurrying for the nearest plane or train back to La Belle France.

The gent's toilets in Dublin Busáras are poorly maintained, filthy and disgusting. I've been complaining to the powers that be for ages but they're just getting worse. On the day I took the photos below, there were actually doors on all the cubicles which was in itself unusual. You might have needed to have been sitting down with one foot pressed against the doors to keep them closed but at least there were doors this time. What? Locks? Don't be silly. It's far from locked toilet doors you were reared. Same goes for coat hooks.

Filthy walls and floors, gaping holes in the ceiling where presumably a fan was once situated, metal door jams that are falling apart, toilet seats with stains of unknown origin and telephone numbers scrawled here and there should you want to have sex with another man - this is what greets folks from foreign lands when they arrive off the airport bus. Of all the facilities I've come across in bus and train stations around Europe, only Gara de Nord in Bucharest compares.

Take a bow, Bus Éireann staff - but hold on to these officious hats. Ye don't want them falling the goo.

[video=youtube;4D_AtXGN-jY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_AtXGN-jY[/video]
At least now we know where they did that scene in "Trainspotting".

Shqiptar

No surprises there. They're the business card of the Dublin experience for all tourists and visitors.

Being the regular first stop after arriving via the airport, the toilets of Busárus herald the standard quality of the rest of the average international travelers experiences of our filthy capital city. By the time said tourist gets uptown to check out the bars, they'll have found that the Busárus experience was a grounding in the general qualities of gents toilets elsewhere in the city and country.

Most pubs in the city centre of Dublin, and particularly popular places in Temple Bar but also including many more in the Grafton Street area, aren't much better. Check out nice little bars like Sheehans of Chatham Street, or larger houses like The Hairy Lemon just down the road. These bars take in tens of thousands on a good day, yet they won't part with a few bob for paper or soap in the men's rooms. The jacks in the Quays on Temple Bar Square defies all hygienic understanding and potential for diseases. The Temple Bar itself was beyond all possible imagined horrors last time I was in there. The Palace Bar had a filthy towel hanging on a nail one time I went in there. Originally white, it was brown and it smelled very foul as soon as you entered the room. The smell permeated everything.

Hit it with one strike of lightning and it'd be have been enough to begin the evolution of life all over again.

Working as a private contractor in Dublin when I still lived in Ireland, I worked in most bars in the city and the surrounding counties off and on for several years. Restaurants too. The standards of Irish toilets in general leave much to be desired considering even the most basic of standards. The fact that people do pretty much the same themselves at home in their domestic bathrooms is likely part of the problem as to why business proprietors are lazy in addressing the issue. Irish people often carpet their bathrooms. They put matching rug sets on the floors too. I've seen it more times than I can shake a stick at. When pointed out, the hygiene implications seem to go right over their heads.

In general, the restaurants of Dublin have far better standards of loo hygiene than any of the bars who don't specialize in or offer food services. Places like the new Clarendon Lounge on the corner of Chatham and Clarendon Streets are fantastically well put together. Beautifully lit, well fitted, regularly maintained, and reasonably comfortable to use. Air conditioned, scented, and very stylish. Certainly not up to the standards of Public Spending minister John McGuinness's €250,000 private, hidden en suite toilet in his Dáil offices, but certainly good enough for an average tax-paying citizen to make a quick deposit.

The main indicator here regarding Irish standards in general is that, broadly speaking, the women's toilets are maintained throughout the day and evening, where men's toilets are generally only dealt with at the end of business when the premises has been vacated by all customers.

Like many things on our little island, public toilet standards need to improve drastically. As long as they don't, Dublin will remain, like the red light area of Amsterdam and Paris in general, one the most píss-stinking, vile hellholes in Europe.

Luxury toilet paper only in minister's
Its not just the filth of the toilets in Dublin Busáras: they're actually very poorly maintained if at all. You could powerhose them with superheated steam for a half hour and they'd still look decrepit. Doors are falling off, fittings aren't being repaired, there are gaps where the toilet bowls are coming away from the wall or something.

When I lived in Belgium, there'd be a person charged with maintaining each public toilet. Usually a woman, she had access to both male and female toilets - something that used to freak out some conservative Indian male colleagues. Anyway, you paid her 10BEF (about 20c) and she kept the place spick and span. It was one less person on the dole too, I suppose.

blokesbloke

I explained that. I had run out of toilet paper and was asking politely if you would oblige me. There was no need to squeal like a little girl and I kept my promise never to reveal that you had a tiny penis.

blokesbloke

Anyway it's BE have the cleaners joined the drivers on strike? Or is that settled now?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies