Four Sins that Cry to Heaven for Vengeance: A pathway to right living?

Casablanca

I was re-reading an old Cathecism I came across recently and came across a question:
"What are the four Sins that Cry to Heaven for vengeance?". Upon exploring the issue online, I found the this refers to sins, so grave, that they demand a response from God, and their result is to deny a soul entry into paradise.

What are sins that cry to heaven for vengeance and sins against the Holy Spirit? | Catholic Answers

Further explanation and reference can be found here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sins_that_cry_to_heaven

And an interesting reflection can be browsed here:

https://www.stpeterslist.com/11583/commentary-on-the-4-sins-that-cry-to-heaven-for-vengeance/

My question for consideration is whether, in the midst of a troubled and ever changing world, this basic precept of faith still holds a clear and measureable pathway to right living and a just society.

Oh, the four Sins(and their biblical foundations) specified as crying out to Heaven for vengeance are :

murder (Gn 4:10), sodomy (Gn 17:20-21), oppression of the poor (Ex 2:23), and defrauding workers of their just wages (Jas 5:4).

stakerwallace

Modernise them:

What about stealing someone's smart phone?

Casablanca

It is interesting to look at the 4 grave sins in two distinct ways:

Firstly, as a basis for a moral life, 'right living' as a former great catholic leader described it. There I see a clear imperative from the Cathecism that any practising catholic cannot enter Heaven if one of these transgressions are present. So for instance, can a catholic business or indeed the church itself enter God's Presence if that body is clearly guilt of not paying it's workers, or indulging in immoral behaviour

However, it is as a social document that they interest me most. Any of the four proscribed activities would have formed part of any communist or fascist dictatorship's attempt to create a social structure. Is this wrong? Surely the paying of a fair wage, not murdering people, not oppressing the poor and weak as well as living a sexually moral life must be a basis for any just society.

Last edited:

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
perhaps the peadophiles we have in the churches know the get out clause for sodomy or they would nt have engaged in so much of it

publicrealm

We can't even cleanse our society by throwing offenders off tall building - because of DCC's restrictive height policies.:mad:

benroe

I was re-reading an old Cathecism I came across recently and came across a question:
"What are the four Sins that Cry to Heaven for vengeance?". Upon exploring the issue online, I found the this refers to sins, so grave, that they demand a response from God, and their result is to deny a soul entry into paradise.

What are sins that cry to heaven for vengeance and sins against the Holy Spirit? | Catholic Answers

Further explanation and reference can be found here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sins_that_cry_to_heaven

And an interesting reflection can be browsed here:

https://www.stpeterslist.com/11583/commentary-on-the-4-sins-that-cry-to-heaven-for-vengeance/

My question for consideration is whether, in the midst of a troubled and ever changing world, this basic precept of faith still holds a clear and measureable pathway to right living and a just society.

Oh, the four Sins(and their biblical foundations) specified as crying out to Heaven for vengeance are :

murder (Gn 4:10), sodomy (Gn 17:20-21), oppression of the poor (Ex 2:23), and defrauding workers of their just wages (Jas 5:4).
Poor god, must be inconsolable.

Irish-Rationalist

What about murder and sodomy? The people where I live frown upon necrophilia. Strange lot...

Morgellons

Firstly, as a basis for a moral life, 'right living' as a former great catholic leader described it. There I see a clear imperative form the Cathecism that any practising catholic cannot enter Heaven if one of these transgressions are present. So for instance, can a catholic business or indeed the church itself enter God's Presence if that body is clearly guilt of not paying it's workers, or indulging in immoral behaviour

However, it is as a social document that they interest me most. Any of the four proscribed activities would have formed part of any communist or fascist dictatorship's attempt to create a social structure. Is this wrong? Surely the paying of a fair wage, not murdering people, not oppressing the poor and weak as well as living a sexually moral life must be a basis for any just society.
Let's just say for argument's sake I was mad into sodomy and defrauding workers of their just wages. Could I still get to heaven if I go to confession?

Casablanca

Modernise them:

What about stealing someone's smart phone?
I suppose this would fall under not paying a worker their just wages, as any failure to pay a bill would hurt the creditor. That is presuming the the creditor is just and the bill is fair. If the later is not fair, the the creditor is the one wronging the debtor, if you see what I mean.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
Let's just say for argument's sake I was mad into sodomy and defrauding workers of their just wages. Could I still get to heaven if I go to confession?
think the workers call that getting a bum deal

Casablanca

I'm afraid I haven't got to the section of the Cathecism on forgiveness yet, which seems to be relatively small and late in the book. At the moment the main concentration is on Sins, lots and lots of sins.

If one of our more theologically learned posters can help out here, I'd appreciate it.

Failing that I'll revert in due course.

Cruimh

Firstly, as a basis for a moral life, 'right living' as a former great catholic leader described it. There I see a clear imperative form the Cathecism that any practising catholic cannot enter Heaven if one of these transgressions are present. So for instance, can a catholic business or indeed the church itself enter God's Presence if that body is clearly guilt of not paying it's workers, or indulging in immoral behaviour

Social Justice - covered by the two great encyclicals,

Rerum Novarum (May 15, 1891) | LEO XIII

Quadragesimo Anno (May 15, 1931) | PIUS XI

Casablanca

I've just resigned myself that I'm going to hell...........so may as well keep going

Should you get there before us, will you keep a place warm for us, so to speak.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies