Four Star Pizza go into Examinership: Times

gijoe

They owe NIB €4.9million alone and admit to being insovent. IIRC did they not make a big announcement maybe a year or so back about a big expansion programme that was going to bring hundred's of jobs etc? Anyway it just goes to show that all these 'retail jobs' that seem to be the latest fade in job announcements are just job replacements at best from other operators. I mean I even saw Tesco on TV this evening trying to compare their Swinford store jobs with high quality knowledge economy jobs - give me a break! And just to emphasise the point they profiled a young 'Team Leader', on less than €10/hour no doubt, who is a recently qualified Architect - that takes 5 years, to become a tenner an hour 'Team Leader'.........
Four Star Pizza chain has interim examiner appointed - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 16, 2010

johnfás

The other annoying thing about the media lauding jobs in Tesco is that they don't report the local jobs that are lost as a result of the openings of major stores in rural areas nor the fact that the profits leave the area. I am not anti large supermarkets and also not a corporatist. However, I fail to see why the media has to be intellectual dishonest about such business developments. Ditto when RTÉ focuses on job creation in Northern Ireland - which has no material benefit to our economy or the licencer payers of RTÉ.

MsAnneThrope

They owe NIB €4.9million alone and admit to being insovent. IIRC did they not make a big announcement maybe a year or so back about a big expansion programme that was going to bring hundred's of jobs etc?
I think that was Apache Pizza, not Four Star.

RTÉ April 2009: Apache Pizza to deliver 85 new jobs

There was a thread here about it too.

johnfás

Seems to be alot of competition in the pizza delivery market - Pizza Hut Express, Hells Pizza, Extreme Pizza, Pizza Slice - all opened up in the past few years. That said, the Dominos in Tallaght is the busiest on the planet IIRC, so there must be some market for it.

Harmonica

Seems to be alot of competition in the pizza delivery market - Pizza Hut Express, Hells Pizza, Extreme Pizza, Pizza Slice - all opened up in the past few years. That said, the Dominos in Tallaght is the busiest on the planet IIRC, so there must be some market for it.
Its dirt cheap to make a basically a sort of premium product in this country.

I wonder did Four Star get into the property game as it seems a common means for solid businesses to throw it all away these days.

Davidoff

RTE just reads out the press releases.

Only last week they reported that Iceland 'plans to create 2,175 new jobs over the next four years.'

Isn't it great when you can get publicity for what you intend to do in 2014?

Meanwhile if you want the truth about whether the country is bankrupt or not you have to swich over to Al-Jazeera.

jimbo99

they owe nib €4.9million alone and admit to being insovent. Iirc did they not make a big announcement maybe a year or so back about a big expansion programme that was going to bring hundred's of jobs etc? Anyway it just goes to show that all these 'retail jobs' that seem to be the latest fade in job announcements are just job replacements at best from other operators. I mean i even saw tesco on tv this evening trying to compare their swinford store jobs with high quality knowledge economy jobs - give me a break! And just to emphasise the point they profiled a young 'team leader', on less than €10/hour no doubt, who is a recently qualified architect - that takes 5 years, to become a tenner an hour 'team leader'.........
four star pizza chain has interim examiner appointed - the irish times - tue, nov 16, 2010
tesco will only ever be good for tesco.......in the long run.

stoichkov

there's a four star pizza in kilmainham, round the corner from the jail, and built under the world's clumsiest-looking apartment block.

any time i go past it, it is invariably empty.

Its a bad sign with fast food shops start closing down.

They normally do very well in recession times.

Last edited:

Holy Cow

Its a bad sign with fast foos shops start closing down.

They normally do very well in recession times.
Yeah, I remember last year RTE (FF TV) ran a report about fast food being a growth business.....LOL.

Why pay €10 for a pizza when ya can get a half decent one in the supermarket for half the price?

The recession is about to get recessionier.

spotty

Spotty is racked with guilt. He knew it was a bad idea to go on that diet :-(

mr_anderson

Pity.
Their thin bases were always much nicer than Dominoes.
They also used to send me an xmas card every year. :oops:

Goodbody

there's a four star pizza in kilmainham, round the corner from the jail, and built under the world's clumsiest-looking apartment block.

any time i go past it, it is invariably empty.
That's because in Kilmainham they all eat Goodfella's Pizza.

hammer

Maybe people have discovered that they have ovens at home :)

There was a corporate article on Four Star Pizza about 2 months ago letting us know how successful they were doing :(

High rents will kill any business.

At least now the owners can renegotiate rents and get to write off substantial amounts of their debts. There are no flies on the two boys.

borntorum

The other annoying thing about the media lauding jobs in Tesco is that they don't report the local jobs that are lost as a result of the openings of major stores in rural areas nor the fact that the profits leave the area. I am not anti large supermarkets and also not a corporatist. However, I fail to see why the media has to be intellectual dishonest about such business developments. Ditto when RTÉ focuses on job creation in Northern Ireland - which has no material benefit to our economy or the licencer payers of RTÉ.
+1 on both counts (+2?)

As for Four Star, one is always regretful when a business gets into trouble, but as has been said, there is huge competition in the take out pizza market and IMO Four Star is of a poorer quality than some of the others

DeputyEdo

Oh no....where will I get my bland tasting pizzas that repeat on me for about 6 hours from now????

Sync

Maybe people have discovered that they have ovens at home :)
I know right? Good god takeaway pizza's awful. Anything you have to douse with sheets of Bounty to get the grease off is not to be taken internally.

Like a lot of the sandwich bars, international franchises kill these sort of companies. Dominos and Subway are just a far more efficient, developed business model.

gayguy2000

Seriously, with the price of a pizza in this stupid country, it's a wonder anyone ever buys them. I know I don't. How can they justify 20 euro for a pizza of any size???

ballot stuffer

Seriously, with the price of a pizza in this stupid country, it's a wonder anyone ever buys them. I know I don't. How can they justify 20 euro for a pizza of any size???
In the early hours of the morning when under the influence a service that delivers steaming hot greasy pizza to your door seems like the best idea in the world!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies