• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fr. Brian Darcy, Turbulent priest, BBC last night.

Eoin Coir

Dont know if any of you was watching BBC programme on Brian Darcy last night. While i have not always been his greatest admirer this programme portrayed him in a positive light I think. He has given his life to the Catholic Church and he works hard and reaches out to a lot of people, across all classes. I think he has been treated unfairly by Rome - probably at the behest of some right wing members of the Church here. Also shown on the programme was Fr. Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive magazine which is not the most charitable paper I may add. In contrast to McKevitt, Darcy comes across as a shining light.

I think this programme shows the disfunctional nature of the Catholic Church here which Rome should be addressing, not the likes of harmless creatures like Brian Darcy and other priests like Tony Flannery.

MrD011

I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes .

I cant understand why he just doesn't leave and form his own church as he obviously doesn't identify with the catholic teachings that he signed up to in the first place.

He is being used by the tabloids to fuel their anti-catholic agenda , does he not realise this himself.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Dont know if any of you was watching BBC programme on Brian Darcy last night. While i have not always been his greatest admirer this programme portrayed him in a positive light I think. He has given his life to the Catholic Church and he works hard and reaches out to a lot of people, across all classes. I think he has been treated unfairly by Rome - probably at the behest of some right wing members of the Church here. Also shown on the programme was Fr. Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive magazine which is not the most charitable paper I may add. In contrast to McKevitt, Darcy comes across as a shining light.

I think this programme shows the disfunctional nature of the Catholic Church here which Rome should be addressing, not the likes of harmless creatures like Brian Darcy and other priests like Tony Flannery.
Don't have a lot of time for D'arcy to be honest. He seems like a bum kisser or at least that was my impression pof this long term media darling

Who or what is McKevitt? "Interesting" paper, Alive.
Should all priests be "harmless creatures?"

I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes, he is a lunatic that craves the limelight
His is in the limelight but I doubt he is a lunatic.

Bren Boru

D'arcy is an egotistical attention seeker. If he is away from a camera or a microphone for too long a time he comes out in a rash. His viewpoint is nor more or less relevant that so many other priests who do good work and go about it quietly without the need to appear on the Late Late Show every season.

Analyzer

Did he have anything to say about Seanie Quinn ?

Or was that off limits ?

Maybe "reaching out" to your average ordinary Multibillionaire (well that used to be the case) is a bit much ?

Cruimh

I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes .

I cant understand why he just doesn't leave and form his own church as he obviously doesn't identify with the catholic teachings that he signed up to in the first place.

He is being used by the tabloids to fuel their anti-catholic agenda , does he not realise this himself.
If the only priests were ones who agreed 100% with Vatican teaching then there would be a lot less priests.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

If the only priests were ones who agreed 100% with Vatican teaching then there would be a lot less priests.
Here is an own goal but what Catholic priests do you admire? Don't say that stupid Fr Ted series even though Ted and Fr Trendy are modeled on you know who. I think many live in their own universes: the Pope and his sycophants, the Alive Cre and Fr D'arcy and the media. Bit like the British Tories (many of whom are RC) and dissident Republicans (many of whom are RC)

Eoin Coir

If one uses as a yardstick a priest who still can connect with people (even though he may be fond of the limelight) I think Darcy has something going for him. And i dont think he is a heretic. I assume this programme was filmed before recent Quinn protests.

Levellers

He is the priest for celebrities. If you are famous or rich he will forgive anything you do.

He has never taken a stand on child abuse. He moans when the abuse is exposed and then starts to row back saying ‘if hurt has been caused’. A waste of space.

feet first

Rev Fr Brian is the curate to the rich and famous. when did he work with the poor or do missionary work, he is a publicity seeking egotist. Was in his company on a few occasions, he will always seek out the "big" people in the room, and court their company.

As regards connecting with people , who is he connected to only the big wigs and of course himself. He is using the guise as a clergyman to court media attention, and lets face it.............what has he really to offer, apart from air time.

Eoin Coir

He is the priest for celebrities. If you are famous or rich he will forgive anything you do.

He has never taken a stand on child abuse. He moans when the abuse is exposed and then starts to row back saying ‘if hurt has been caused’. A waste of space.
I'm not sure if you are fair to him there. And how many other priests would take on Cardinal Daly on LLS the way he did ?

And i have heard he gives away every penny he gets to those in need.

wishywashy

Leave? And give up a comfortable lifestyle like that? He may be a rebel,but hes not stupid.

wishywashy

I'm not sure if you are fair to him there. And how many other priests would take on Cardinal Daly on LLS the way he did ?

And i have heard he gives away every penny he gets to those in need.

Like Sean Quinn?

Analyzer

Rev Fr Brian is the curate to the rich and famous. when did he work with the poor or do missionary work, he is a publicity seeking egotist. Was in his company on a few occasions, he will always seek out the "big" people in the room, and court their company.

As regards connecting with people , who is he connected to only the big wigs and of course himself. He is using the guise as a clergyman to court media attention, and lets face it.............what has he really to offer, apart from air time.
But what about his brave stand for "ordinary man" Sean Quinn ?

did he even get a slice of that expensive cake ?

derryman

I have not seen the programme so I can not comment on it, However the media would lead one to believe that Father Brian is the most popular priest (not that I think priests should be popular) however two pages in and that is not reflected. As regards his giving away all that he gets to the poor I am wondering how this works as he is a member of a religious order and as such all he recieves would not be his to give, add that with his vow of poverty and it leaves some questions I think.

Eoin Coir

Given I am not his greatest supporter ( Sean Quinn issue and the likes) but I think a lot of posters are unfair to him. Whats in it for him, a lonely life, no married life,no home if he is kicked out etc.
I have heard that any alms he gets are given away to poor people, the man hardly has a coat for himself. Surely he must have something going for him

Colin M

Given I am not his greatest supporter ( Sean Quinn issue and the likes) but I think a lot of posters are unfair to him. Whats in it for him, a lonely life, no married life,no home if he is kicked out etc.
I have heard that any alms he gets are given away to poor people, the man hardly has a coat for himself. Surely he must have something going for him
He said something about that he would be a 'better priest' if he had married. The easy solution would have been to leave the priesthood years ago, and then get married, and retain his religious foundation. His own fault, really.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

He said something about that he would be a 'better priest' if he had married. The easy solution would have been to leave the priesthood years ago, and then get married, and retain his religious foundation. His own fault, really.
I detest the man. However, there is no logic to your post. You are saying any priest who is not in accord with the rules should leave. I presume you like Edith Piaf.