• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fr Hoban doesn't have faith in the holy spirit to rustle up new vocations

D

Dylan2010

Caught this guy on Newstalk 106, Fr Hogan said that praying to the "holy spirit" wasnt working in relation to getting new vocations :shock: , maybe he hasnt considered "god" is punishing the Irish church, could it not be God's plan?

it must be gas at their planning meetings "so whats your proposal to increase vocations?".... "how about a bit of an old pray?"....annywaay

So whats the future with 75% less priests in 20 years, Skype on a big screen? Holographic priests to say mass? will they start sourcing priests from Africa which could introduce a new cycle of abusive or sexually active priests given that they are not adverse to cover ups over there?

Text Only | Irish Examiner

There are currently 4,000 priests in Ireland but in 20 years time, with the greying of the clergy and the collapse in vocations, Fr Hoban says Ireland will be "effectively priestless".

In the past 23 years, the number of clerical students has declined from 525 at Maynooth, Cloniffe, Thurles, Kilkennny, Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Belfast, All Hallows, and Rome to just 70 seminarians at colleges in Maynooth, Belfast, and Rome.

Accusing Church leaders such as Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin of being in denial, he warns "we have a decade to come to terms with this crisis".

In Nov 2012, Archbishop Martin said that "for the moment what we have to do is find worthy candidates who able to live as celibate priests... I believe that there are candidates there".

Asking questions about the effect of celibacy on vocations, Fr Hoban says too many priests feel disconnected, lonely, and isolated.

IbrahaimMohamad

Has Father Hogan considered the very dominereing possibility that /god as he understands him does not exist?

D

Dylan2010

Has Father Hogan considered the very dominereing possibility that /god as he understands him does not exist?
he sounded a bit miserable that he missed out on getting his leg over in this life....the thought that it was for nought would break the poor lad

gerhard dengler

Caught this guy on Newstalk 106, Fr Hogan said that praying to the "holy spirit" wasnt working in relation to getting new vocations :shock: , maybe he hasnt considered "god" is punishing the Irish church, could it not be God's plan?

it must be gas at their planning meetings "so whats your proposal to increase vocations?".... "how about a bit of an old pray?"....annywaay
So whats the future with 75% less priests in 20 years, Skype on a big screen? Holographic priests to say mass? will they start sourcing priests from Africa which could introduce a new cycle of abusive or sexually active priests given that they are not adverse to cover ups over there?

Numbers enrolling in Irish seminaries are up in recent years compared to earlier in the 2000's.

Numbers enrolling in other locations appear to be increasing too
CARA reports U.S. seminary theology numbers highest since 1988-89 | National Catholic Reporter

IbrahaimMohamad

he sounded a bit miserable that he missed out on getting his leg over in this life....the thought that it was for nought would break the poor lad

It's very difficult for a lad who is not obsessed in burying the lad in a felleow male to admit that there is no virtue in celebacy!

googolplex

Ever thought of including the wimmen?

Radix

It's very difficult for a lad who is not obsessed in burying the lad in a felleow male to admit that there is no virtue in celebacy!

So Ibrahim reveals himself as a troll!

Whatever one might say about the aforementioned Padre, he at least wears his heart on his sleeve. And he is right about a changing Church, even if not about a 'crisis'. The truth is that the world is changing. The new "Church" will be led by the so called 'laity'.

Similarly politics will be so led.

Welcome to the new world!

EvotingMachine0197

Fr. Hogan has identified the problem himself - people are finally starting to realise that praying is about as useless as crossing fingers, touching wood or rubbing lucky stones.

quicksilver

That's funny alright. it is interesting to see more and more priests coming to 1st world (and 2nd world) countries from underdeveloped countries. Sure, it's only a matter of time before those same countries see a drop in the number of seminarians and then what happens? But that could take 50 years or more....so for now, it's back to the prayers for the Irish bishops.

Marcos the black

One mortal man fails to see Gods plan.. wow.. there's a shock. Are you sure your not taking what he said out of context?

EvotingMachine0197

One mortal man fails to see Gods plan.. wow.. there's a shock. Are you sure your not taking what he said out of context?
It's not just one man though, is it.

There is no market these days for the sellers of supernatural intercessions. Kids just think its weird stuff and want little or nothing to do with it. Fair play to them...

Marcos the black

It's not just one man though, is it.

There is no market these days for the sellers of supernatural intercessions. Kids just think its weird stuff and want little or nothing to do with it. Fair play to them...
Yeah... kids always know best.. fair play to em..

Peppermint

I think the church in Ireland is going the same way as the UK.
Different churches I know, but I see many similarities.
I'd guess in 20 odd years, catholic beliefs will be very much a minority pastime in Ireland.

Radix

Caught this guy on Newstalk 106, Fr Hogan said that praying to the "holy spirit" wasnt working[/QUOTE

Link please.

Moderators you have sent lesser offending stuff to the Zoo.

Last edited:

googolplex

I think the church in Ireland is going the same way as the UK.
Different churches I know, but I see many similarities.
I'd guess in 20 odd years, catholic beliefs will be very much a minority pastime in Ireland.
The vow of chastity is now a big problem I think, for most modern catholics ( it only came into being due to inheritance rights as far as I recall). People still have faith and believe, but a lot of damage has been done, so people require a more comfortable format which might include female priests and married priests. The faith still remains but just under more accommodating terms.

devoutcapitalist

in 20 years time in ireland weekly mass attendance will be around 15% and amongst 18-34 years old it will probably be less than 5%. In 10 years time it will be around 25% i reckon.

devoutcapitalist

The vow of chastity is now a big problem I think, for most modern catholics ( it only came into being due to inheritance rights as far as I recall). People still have faith and believe, but a lot of damage has been done, so people require a more comfortable format which might include female priests and married priests. The faith still remains but just under more accommodating terms.
your right on married priests and female priests, celibacy is absolute rubbish. Sadly i can't see the celibacy rule been relaxed for at least another 30 years especially if the next pope or any future popes come from africa or asia.