Fr Peter McVerry's Hypocrisy

Fr Peter McVerry, in a letter in the IT today writes:

Madam, - Could I suggest that the PDs postpone their tax cuts until all homeless people have been given beds? - Yours, etc,
The hypocrisy of the man is staggering. He is a member of multi-bilion euro institution who will always have a bed to sleep in and a warm meal. The man has never paid income tax in his life shielded as he is by his religious vows.

It's disgraceful that he is constantly interfering in politics and pontificating from his ivory tower about things that will never affact his life.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
dubsthcentralboy said:

Madam, - Could I suggest that the PDs postpone their tax cuts until all homeless people have been given beds? - Yours, etc,
The hypocrisy of the man is staggering. He is a member of multi-bilion euro institution who will always have a bed to sleep in and a warm meal. The man has never paid income tax in his life shielded as he is by his religious vows.

It's disgraceful that he is constantly interfering in politics and pontificating from his ivory tower about things that will never affact his life.
they do effect his life he works everyday with the homeless

DOD

dubsthcentralboy said:

Let me guess. This is coming from a comfortable middle class social conservative who doesn't want to talk about such vile things as homelessness? Fair ****'s to people like Peter McVerry. He doesn't have to worry about a roof over his head, nor hould he. Nor should anyone, that is his point. You come across as really small minded.

DOD said:
dubsthcentralboy said:

Let me guess. This is coming from a comfortable middle class social conservative who doesn't want to talk about such vile things as homelessness? Fair ****'s to people like Peter McVerry. He doesn't have to worry about a roof over his head, nor hould he. Nor should anyone, that is his point. You come across as really small minded.
Nice to know that you're so open-minded yourself DOD. I count five value judgements that you've made about me if your short post. Try to stick to debating rather than passing idle judgements on the people you're debating.

Fr McVerry is obviously a very good man who feels strongly about what he has made his mission in life. I am a great admirer of his and I think he should be vaule for the work he has done.

However, we had enough of the Church running people's lives in this country without clerics trying to tell the Government what to do about taxation policy. I for one believe in giving people their own money to spend. I know better how to spend my own money that Brian Cowen. Charity should be a voluntary thing, the Government can't make people moral or charitable by stealing from their pay packets every month and pumping money in to some endless hole.

St Disibod

dubsthcentralboy said:

dubsthcentralboy, do you by any chance also go under the name of 'the agent' (see here)?

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
To the best of my knowledge Fr Peter McVerry lives, and always has, amongst those that he works with. Does simply being a catholic mean that we're not able to say anything because we're all magically responsible for everything wrong the church as ever done?

St Disibod said:
dubsthcentralboy said:

dubsthcentralboy, do you by any chance also go under the name of 'the agent' (see here)?
No, nut guilty I'm not 'the agent' - if you look closely, 'the agent' doesnt' know the difference between a contraction and an abbreviation. I certainly do!

By the way, Fr McVerry is the same man who insists that 20% of the people of Ireland ar eliving in poverty. Even Sinn Fein don't believe such nonsense!

quirk

Website
www.southarmagh32.blogspot.com
Peter McVerry is one of the most progressive voices within the catholic church, and we should welcome this rather than criticising him for being a priest. He is well known and has a platform which he uses very well to hilight many of the problems in maodern day Ireland.

DOD

dubsthcentralboy said:
However, we had enough of the Church running people's lives in this country without clerics trying to tell the Government what to do about taxation policy. I for one believe in giving people their own money to spend. I know better how to spend my own money that Brian Cowen. Charity should be a voluntary thing, the Government can't make people moral or charitable by stealing from their pay packets every month and pumping money in to some endless hole.
Peter McVerry is not speaking as part of the church, but as an anti-homelessness campaigner.

quirk said:
Peter McVerry is one of the most progressive voices within the catholic church, and we should welcome this rather than criticising him for being a priest. He is well known and has a platform which he uses very well to hilight many of the problems in maodern day Ireland.
Progressive? What Fr McVerry's always banging on about was progressive in the 60s, not now. His Maexist ideologies about changing unjust structures etc. have all proven to be meaningless in really tackling poverty.

I will not refrain from criticising him just because he does a lot of good work, every one who enters in to public debate must be prepared for public scrutiny.

The way to reduce poverty is create opportunities for people, educational, work etc - not more dehumanising hand-outs.

DOD

dubsthcentralboy said:
The way to reduce poverty is create opportunities for people, educational, work etc - not more dehumanising hand-outs.
Let's talk about that one shall we? How much real investment is put into educational advancement in underprivileged areas? It's all very well to say it's as easy as giving people jobs but there are a few problems with that. Firstly, as I said, the investment isn't being put into underprivileged area and and secondly that does nothing to help those who are already homeless. Homelessness is an issue, whether we like it or not and while you may think that hand outs are dehumanising, the Government needs to take some responsibility here.

You see by the tack you are taken it is very easy to turn it round and blame people who are homeless, 'because they don't want to work' etc. But when you are on the streets already and suffer from alcohol or ather addiction issues or mental health problems, getting a job is not exactly always an option. People need the initial helping hand. And that i what great oganisations like the Simon Community and Focus Ireland are doing, but the point is that it is Government that should be taking care o these things. There are no easy answers to this, but we need to do something and the Government needs to do something.

I have just finished a 6 month stint as a volunteer with the Simon Community and one thing I always reminded myself (even though I was in a residential project so they weren't homeless per se) is that this could so easily be me. Let's not forget that. It could be us. All it takes is for the wrong things to happen at the wrong time. yes there is personal responsibility involved as well, but that is not to say it is homeless people's fault.

DOD

White Horse said:
They don't want beds, they want a fix.
A very simple way to look at it. Wrong too. I don't think anyone wants to be on the streets.

DOD said:
dubsthcentralboy said:
Let's talk about that one shall we? How much real investment is put into educational advancement in underprivileged areas? It's all very well to say it's as easy as giving people jobs but there are a few problems with that. Firstly, as I said, the investment isn't being put into underprivileged area and and secondly that does nothing to help those who are already homeless. Homelessness is an issue, whether we like it or not and while you may think that hand outs are dehumanising, the Government needs to take some responsibility here.

You see by the tack you are taken it is very easy to turn it round and blame people who are homeless, 'because they don't want to work' etc. But when you are on the streets already and suffer from alcohol or ather addiction issues or mental health problems, getting a job is not exactly always an option. People need the initial helping hand. And that i what great oganisations like the Simon Community and Focus Ireland are doing, but the point is that it is Government that should be taking care o these things. There are no easy answers to this, but we need to do something and the Government needs to do something.

I have just finished a 6 month stint as a volunteer with the Simon Community and one thing I always reminded myself (even though I was in a residential project so they weren't homeless per se) is that this could so easily be me. Let's not forget that. It could be us. All it takes is for the wrong things to happen at the wrong time. yes there is personal responsibility involved as well, but that is not to say it is homeless people's fault.
You make some good points. Obviously all the wretched people on the streets are not to blame for their sutiation. It's distressing to me that some of my fellow citizens, however few, are living on the streets. This is unacceptable, but, in my experience, Government intervention can not cure such social ills. The voluntary and community sector has proven to be much more affective in this field in the past and I don't think that anything would be gained by the Government taking over.

Of course, I know that the Labour party even demand that the Government make people happy, but we need to bear in mind that the Government is not the be all and end all. We have a great deal of responsibility ourselves in this sphere. It's easy to salve our own consciences by saying "oh, the Government ought to do something".

DOD

White Horse said:
DOD said:
[quote="White Horse":3a05ll0x]They don't want beds, they want a fix.
A very simple way to look at it. Wrong too. I don't think anyone wants to be on the streets.
No they want drugs more. Eventually someting gives.[/quote:3a05ll0x]

Certainly the Drugs and/or drink gets prioritised. Doesn't mean they don't want the bed though

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
dubsthcentralboy said:
By the way, Fr McVerry is the same man who insists that 20% of the people of Ireland ar eliving in poverty. Even Sinn Fein don't believe such nonsense!
wasn't the a survey out ther other day that put it a 7%?

lostexpectation said:
dubsthcentralboy said:
wasn't the a survey out ther other day that put it a 7%?
If there was I missed it, might have come out when I was back home in Israel for a few weeks.

The most recent data I'm aware of put it at 6.8%, but I know there was a announcement this afternoon at the Govt Press Centre re: anti-poverty strategy, not seen anything on it yet...

DOD

dubsthcentralboy said:
You make some good points. Obviously all the wretched people on the streets are not to blame for their sutiation. It's distressing to me that some of my fellow citizens, however few, are living on the streets. This is unacceptable, but, in my experience, Government intervention can not cure such social ills. The voluntary and community sector has proven to be much more affective in this field in the past and I don't think that anything would be gained by the Government taking over.

I see where you are coming from, however I think the reason that these groups are more effective is because they have had to be in the absence of Government intervention. There shouldn't need to be organisations like Simon, Focus etc. Obviously there would still need to be the people that currently work for these organisations, but they'd be working for state agencies instead. At the end of the day organisations like Simon, etc, (sorry for constantly mentioning them, I'm biased for obvious reasons) don't have the same money to tackle these things that Government does.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies