Fr Peter McVerry's Hypocrisy

BarryW

I lost all respect for Fr. McVerry after his campaign recently telling the 20% of the population in relative poverty not to bother voting

Absolutely shameful.

DOD

BarryW said:
I lost all respect for Fr. McVerry after his campaign recently telling the 20% of the population in relative poverty not to bother voting

Absolutely shameful.
How is it absolutely shameful? What should he have said. These Shysters and gangsters dn't give a feck about homelessness but sure vote for them anyway because you have a duty to?

DOD

dubsthcentralboy said:
lostexpectation said:
dubsthcentralboy said:
By the way, Fr McVerry is the same man who insists that 20% of the people of Ireland ar eliving in poverty. Even Sinn Fein don't believe such nonsense!
wasn't the a survey out ther other day that put it a 7%?
If there was I missed it, might have come out when I was back home in Israel for a few weeks.

The most recent data I'm aware of put it at 6.8%, but I know there was a announcement this afternoon at the Govt Press Centre re: anti-poverty strategy, not seen anything on it yet...
Lads, as Barry has cleared up, the 20% figure is 'relative poverty'.

DOD said:
BarryW said:

Absolutely shameful.
How is it absolutely shameful? What should he have said. These Shysters and gangsters dn't give a feck about homelessness but sure vote for them anyway because you have a duty to?
But DOD, how could your homeless friends vote? Don't they need a residence? The fact is that Fr McVerry makes up the stats as he goes along - I almost fell off my chair when he started spouting that 20% of the people of Ireland live in poverty - laughable. I certainly haven't met them.

THe real figure is just below 7%, and, sad to say, many experts believe that it has now virtually hit a floor. Perhaps we'll be able to drop it by another per cent or two, but no more than that. Sad but reality

DOD

dubsthcentralboy said:
DOD said:
BarryW said:

Absolutely shameful.
But DOD, how could your homeless friends vote? Don't they need a residence? The fact is that Fr McVerry makes up the stats as he goes along - I almost fell off my chair when he started spouting that 20% of the people of Ireland live in poverty - laughable. I certainly haven't met them.

THe real figure is just below 7%, and, sad to say, many experts believe that it has now virtually hit a floor. Perhaps we'll be able to drop it by another per cent or two, but no more than that. Sad but reality
Sorry, I meant to say Poverty. As I said, the 20% is relative povertyand I think that is a much more relevant figure myself. Having more than enough to be well off in a developing country is not much good to you in Ireland! You need to think in terms of irish society and standards of living.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
dubsthcentralboy said:
DOD said:
BarryW said:

Absolutely shameful.

20% of the population in relative poverty

BarryW

dubsthcentralboy said:
Well there you have it. 20% of the population in relative poverty, 7% in absolute poverty.........and an FF member says its "sad but a reality"

10 years in power...... :roll:

lostexpectation said:
20% of the population in relative poverty
Relative poverty is a highly-dubious measure and not widely trusted internationally. If we use this measure then surely every citizen is 'at risk of poverty' based on the fact that they might become sick or lose thier jobs bringing economic hardship. The most reliable measure is consistent poverty - 6.8%.

Let's not forget that 255,000 people have been lifted out of grinding poverty in the last ten years alone.

John_C

Question,
I'm an adult living on about 12,000 a year. Am I included in the relative poverty figure?

John_C said:
Question,
I'm an adult living on about 12,000 a year. Am I included in the relative poverty figure?
Hard to tell, this is how to qualify according to the poverty people...

- No substantial meal for at least one day in the past two weeks due to lack of money
- Without heating at some stage in the past year due to lack of money
- Experienced debt problems arising from ordinary living expenses
- Unable to afford two pairs of strong shoes
- Unable to afford a roast once a week
- Unable to afford a meal with meat, chicken or fish (or vegetarian equivalent) every second day
- Unable to afford new (not second-hand) clothes
- Unable to afford a warm waterproof coat

John_C

I could be wrong but is that not the measure of consistant poverty. Is the measure of relative poverty not a simple %age of the average wage?

John_C said:
I could be wrong but is that not the measure of consistant poverty. Is the measure of relative poverty not a simple %age of the average wage?
You're absolutely correct - my mistake. the measure for relative poverty is 60% of the median income threshold...

sorry...

Levellers

There are 23 so called 'homeless' charities in Dublin alone. They receive €120m a year in government subventions.

That tax payers money should be given to Dublin Council and let them take responsibility for dealing with homelessness.

Bridger

Fr Peter McVerry, in a letter in the IT today writes:

The hypocrisy of the man is staggering. He is a member of multi-bilion euro institution who will always have a bed to sleep in and a warm meal. The man has never paid income tax in his life shielded as he is by his religious vows.

It's disgraceful that he is constantly interfering in politics and pontificating from his ivory tower about things that will never affact his life.
Why do so many people claim priest or religious don't pay income tax. They pay income tax, like everyone. The Catholic church doesnt corporate tax but it doesn't distribute profits or have share holders so I dont see how they could every have capital gains tax. Some priests in orders would have taken vows of poverty too and live on next to nothing.

Old Mr Grouser

Why do so many people claim priest or religious don't pay income tax. They pay income tax, like everyone. The Catholic church doesn't corporate tax but it doesn't distribute profits or have share holders so I don't see how they could every have capital gains tax.

Some priests in orders would have taken vows of poverty too and live on next to nothing.
But a lot of other priests, both in Orders and Secular, live very well.

And why shouldn't they?

And why shouldn't the Churches be paying some form of tax on their wealth?

"Caesar's," they replied. "Well, then," he said, "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God." Matthew 22:21

GDPR

Old Mr Grouser are you for or against the disestablishment of the Church of England?

NMunsterman

Fr Peter McVerry, in a letter in the IT today writes:

The hypocrisy of the man is staggering. He is a member of multi-bilion euro institution who will always have a bed to sleep in and a warm meal. The man has never paid income tax in his life shielded as he is by his religious vows.

It's disgraceful that he is constantly interfering in politics and pontificating from his ivory tower about things that will never affact his life.
Peter McVerry is one of the very few people who actually lives as he says - the complete opposite of what you claim.

He himself comes from a wealthy background and could easily have made a lot of money and had a very comfortable living for himself had he so decided - but instead he decided to dedicate his entire life to helping the most vulnerable and downtrodden people in Ireland - and you choose to have a go at him.

He is one of the most progressive voices in Ireland in drawing attention to the outrageous and totally inexcusable sub-standard housing policy and services available in Ireland in 2017 - if we were in 1917 we could be excused but there is absolutely no excuse today.
In a state which has a housing policy in line with our standard of living, there would be no need for Peter Mc Verry.

Peter McVerry is a deeply inspiring and wonderful human being - it is to Ireland's deep shame that he needs to be as active as he is in trying to alleviate the dire poverty and suffering of our homeless, among other unfortunate citizens - and it is deeply shameful and totally unjustified that you are having a go at him.

Instead of having a pop at Peter Mc Verry, you need to asking much more fundamental and searching questions on the totally unacceptable housing policy in place in this State where serious reforms need to be taken to tackle the housing crisis.

Sync

The hypocrisy of the man is staggering. He is a member of multi-bilion euro institution who will always have a bed to sleep in and a warm meal.
So pretty much anyone who works for a multinational shouldn’t comment on homelessness?

The man has never paid income tax in his life shielded
How much do you estimate the exchequer has missed out on from his priest’s salary?

1. He’s not interfering. He sent a letter to a paper.
2. I’m willing to bet your average priest will have spent far more time with the homeless than your average private employee.

GDPR

I'm all for it.

No man can serve two masters. Luke 16. and a massive chunk of CofE has adopted The World's way of thinking.
This is true that they have, however the same could be said of a lot of the Church of Ireland in the South and Irish Catholicism neither of which are established Churches. I don't think that disestablishment would change that therefore.

When I was an Anglican I was extremely antidisestablishmentarian. Someone attempted to get me to join one of the Continuing Anglican groups and though I was more in line with them the mainstream C of E I refused point blank because I saw them as undermining the establishment of the Church of England. I would still be against the disestablishment of the Church of England because I think that the State has a duty to confess Christ.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies