Fr Peter McVerry's Hypocrisy

Old Mr Grouser

Peter McVerry is one of the very few people who actually lives as he says ...
He's genuine in his commitment to those rejected by society.

His commitment to the Christian God is very weak - he's an agnostic.

[video=youtube;9yMbokp9eO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yMbokp9eO8[/video]

SEAMAI

I know I'm going a bit off topic here but I heard McVerry discussing restorative justice a few years back, lecturing on how we all needed to be more sympathetic to a thug in prison who had beaten an elderly woman to a pulp, breaking her jaw in the process. Up to then I probably had a reasonably positive opinion of the man but at that point I thought "Sorry Father, you've lost me"

Last edited:

mr_anderson

Sometimes people deserve to be rejected by society.

Should paedophiles be accepted in society ?
Should murderers ?
What about psychopaths ?
Drug pushers ?

There's usually a reason why certain people are rejected by society.
They normally do something that deserves contempt.
Ignoring this basic common sense is not a 'Christian' act, but simple stupidity.

Old Mr Grouser

Should murderers ?
What about psychopaths ?
Drug pushers ?

Ignoring this basic common sense is not a 'Christian' act, but simple stupidity.
A big part of his work is with homeless, mentally ill, men;and there's a high suicide rate among them. He's wonderful in that respect.

But given his open agnosticism he shouldn't be styling himself a priest.

He also needs to think more before he sends letters to newspapers.

His recent proposal, that Local Authorities should be compelled to house Travellers is just idiocy; they'll never do that.

There needs to be a Traveller Agency established, and among other thing it would take over the Halting Sites and also build special Traveller-only estates. Here's how it's done in the North - The Housing Executive is responsible for the provision and management of accommodation for the Traveller Community

Wagmore

A big part of his work is with homeless, mentally ill, men;and there's a high suicide rate among them. He's wonderful in that respect.

But given his open agnosticism he shouldn't be styling himself a priest.

He also needs to think more before he sends letters to newspapers.

His recent proposal, that Local Authorities should be compelled to house Travellers is just idiocy; they'll never do that.

There needs to be a Traveller Agency established, and among other thing it would take over the Halting Sites and also build special Traveller-only estates. Here's how it's done in the North - The Housing Executive is responsible for the provision and management of accommodation for the Traveller Community
Didn't know that-the agnosticism bit .That information makes him a complete fraud in my book.

Last edited:

showbandmanager

Should murderers ?
What about psychopaths ?
Drug pushers ?

Not religious myself , but surely not rejecting these people is exactly what Jesus would have done

NMunsterman

I'm agreeing with you - he lives among the poorest and oppressed - exactly what he says.
I'd say he has given up believing in Mass decades ago,

Socratus O' Pericles

Not religious myself , but surely not rejecting these people is exactly what Jesus would have done
Don’t be raising fundamental xtian values with these rule enforcers, they don’t like it.

Volatire

McVerry is a spoofer, a charlatan. A con-artist.

And yes, McVerry is also a hypocrite. The tinsel, gilt-clad vulgarity on display in massive Irish cathedrals and churches is stomach turning. McVerry's church has enormous property wealth, harvested from the poor by selling false promises of salvation and virtue. His corrupt church, moreover, has never paid the price for generations of systemic kiddie rape.

McVerry is also the whining face of a wider "homelessness charity" swindle. These so-called charities are rolling in cash, with highly paid executives dreaming up new ways to extract cash from the taxpayer.

All of these charitable parasites will retire on fat pensions, that I can tell you.

GDPR

So there's hope for him then.

And for you and me; and for Peter McVery too.

The thing is that most Irish Catholics are actually Pelagians who see as being saved by works as opposed to Grace, and so they haven't a chance of converting the Prods who are actually much closer to the Catholic position on this matter than they are. I think this serious error on the issue of the capacities of fallen human nature is linked to the near universal acceptance of evolution within Irish Catholicism outside of the SSPX.

Bridger

But a lot of other priests, both in Orders and Secular, live very well.

And why shouldn't they?

And why shouldn't the Churches be paying some form of tax on their wealth?
Priest's income is taxed. Religions receive no special treatment in ireland. Same as any non profit. Do they live very well? WHat proof have you?

gerhard dengler

If you can find it, The Meaning of Life television programme which Peter McVerry took part in, gives some insight in to what he rejects in Catholicism.

The Jesuit Order should remove McVerry from their order because of his rejection of Catholic teaching.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies