France bans advert with Downs children, will Ireland follow suit?

ger12

This is the offending advert that has been banned in France. It really brings censorship to a new level.

[video=youtube;ZqIrPmjCA_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqIrPmjCA_0[/video]

This award-winning “Dear Future Mom” video has been banned from French television due to concerns that the expressions of happy children with Down syndrome in the video were “inappropriate” because they were "likely to disturb the conscience of women who had lawfully made different personal life choices.” The president of the Global Down Syndrome Foundation found the decision 'shocking' and 'offensive'.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/lauretta-brown/french-tv-council-bans-video-smiling-down-syndrome-children-because-it

We have already seen an ad by Newstalk during the general election last year which was refused by some ad agencies, and I'm not quite sure why tbh, Newstalk seems like a pro choice station and I had no objection to it as someone who is pro life. The picture is below ...

Companies turn down Newstalk's "Terminate the 8th"...

Will Ireland follow suit in the run up to a referendum to repeal the 8th and censor?

Schuhart

Hopefully not.

I'd expect most people will still abort when faced with a diagnosis of Downs. They're not that easily fooled.

ger12

Hopefully not.

I'd expect most people will still abort when faced with a diagnosis of Downs. They're not that easily fooled.
Why do you think Irish companies refused the Newstalk ad?

eoghanacht

Goodie another abortion thread.

Analyzer

What about equal opportunities for kids with DS ?

Socratus O' Pericles

Why do you think Irish companies refused the Newstalk ad?
Its in the article

it may inflame opinion to the extent that it leaves their plant, property and sites vulnerable to damage.

No one wants a crowd of yd yobs at their place of business carrying on as they do.

That said, I'm against banning stuff and there was a campaign last year to have the ad unbanned, it was a strange decision by the French imo.

https://www.change.org/p/france-s-counseil-d-etat-and-france-stop-ban-on-persons-with-down-syndrome-awareness-video

ger12

There's an interesting debate in the UK now in relation to disability rights before birth.
We're All Equal - UK's campaign for disability equality

A Bill introduced by a severely disabled Peer to end disability-selective abortion has received its Committee Stage in the House of Lords, with near unanimous support from Peers. In the UK, disability-selective abortions are currently available right up to the moment of birth whereas in most cases, non-disabled babies cannot be aborted beyond 24 weeks.

He makes a very eloquent argument.

[video=youtube;8tccg2F5TvY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tccg2F5TvY[/video]

Are we really getting that adverse to seeing people with disabilities?

France I thought was all for Liberté, égalité, fraternité, seems they'll be dropping the égalité.

Felixness

I'm glad they banned the ad. People often assume that women choose abortion as easily as choosing what to have for dinner. I wouldn't want a DS baby, be honest folks DS isn't on any parents wish list for their unborn child. Guilt tripping women on this issue is obscene. I'm not going to get into a debate about it, I support the rights of a woman of the rights of a foetus each and every time. It's time people stopped trying to control other women's bodies and mind their own damned business.

ger12

Its in the article

No one wants a crowd of yd yobs at their place of business carrying on as they do.

That said, I'm against banning stuff and there was a campaign last year to have the ad unbanned, it was a strange decision by the French imo.

https://www.change.org/p/france-s-counseil-d-etat-and-france-stop-ban-on-persons-with-down-syndrome-awareness-video
Which crowd of yobs? I don't think they (companies) were being truthful tbh.

Who do you think would have defaced that poster?

Socratus O' Pericles

Goodie another abortion thread.
I was thinking that but there is actually a slightly different issue here its not just the abortion angle but also the special needs angle.

Here's the quote from the Campaign people:

The discriminatory ban of the video sends the message that people with Down syndrome are unwelcome in society and has impacted the Down syndrome community around the world who have seen it as a rejection of the effort to challenge negative stereotypes and societal prejudices and to assert the equal and inherent value of the lives of people with Down syndrome.

On balance I'm inclined to think they have a point.

ger12

I'm glad they banned the ad. People often assume that women choose abortion as easily as choosing what to have for dinner. I wouldn't want a DS baby, be honest folks DS isn't on any parents wish list for their unborn child. Guilt tripping women on this issue is obscene. I'm not going to get into a debate about it, I support the rights of a woman of the rights of a foetus each and every time. It's time people stopped trying to control other women's bodies and mind their own damned business.
By silencing people with disabilities? :shock:

ger12

ger12

Herr Rommel

By silencing people with disabilities? :shock:
We have a family friend with a disability who is all for eugenics as he feels no person should ever suffer unnecessarily at anytime in their life.

ger12

We have a family friend with a disability who is all for eugenics as he feels no person should ever suffer unnecessarily at anytime in their life.
So you silence anyone with a disability as a result?

stopdoingstuff

"Distrubs the conscience" - so women are adult enough to do action X, an action which is apparently not immoral; but the same women would have dreadful pangs of conscience for doing something that is not immoral and is basically the same as having a growth removed? Something is not right there.

If their conscience is disturbed, it should be.

If the law permits something that is not a form of murder, then there is no reason for the woman to be disturbed.

If the woman is disturbed, then it is because she knows she has done something profoundly wrong.

The abortion lobby cannot afford to have women reach such a conclusion- they have a lot of money riding on murder.

Socratus O' Pericles

It was a strange decision, no doubt.

Herr Rommel

So you silence anyone with a disability as a result?
I am certainly not saying that only repeating a view I have heard and agree with to a point. Raising a child with a life altering disability is a duty for life and when you go who looks after the child ?

ger12

I am certainly not saying that only repeating a view I have heard and agree with to a point. Raising a child with a life altering disability is a duty for life and when you go who looks after the child ?
All children are a duty for life, that's my lived experience and that of my parents.

But using that as an excuse to silence those with a disability? Can you comprehend the message it sends out to those less "perfect"?

It's chilling in the extreme :shock2:

New Threads

Most Replies