France intervenes in Mali.

GDPR

This morning French president François Hollande said that France would be ready to stop Islamist rebels from advancing further south:

"We are faced with a blatant aggression that is threatening Mali's very existence. France cannot accept this. We will be ready to stop the terrorists' offensive if it continues."
This comes after Mali requested French military aid on Thursday, January tenth. This afternoon the French president indicated that France had intervened in Mali:

"French forces brought their support this afternoon to Malian army units to fight against terrorist elements,"
"This operation will last as long as is necessary."
It has been noted by the French president that France is acting in accordance with international law. I wonder to what extent France will engage in this conflict.

On Friday afternoon, SPIEGEL ONLINE observed camouflaged Transall cargo planes landing and taking off at the airport, though it was impossible to make out whether they bore French markings. Likewise, two combat helicopters set down at the airport, which has now become the last line of defense for the government forces.

The military has completely closed Sevare off to the media. But residents reached by phone on Friday morning reported having seen French special forces troops in the city. Speaking on condition of anonymity, several Malian officers confirmed the arrival of a small group of elite French soldiers, explaining that they are supposed to help the Malian army in its efforts to drive back the Islamists.
For more:
France carried out air strike in Mali: foreign minister | Reuters
France and West Pledge Support after Islamists Start Offensive in Mali - SPIEGEL ONLINE
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/12/world/africa/mali-islamist-rebels-france.html?hp&_r=0&gwh=87274C8F239BFA8D79790EAF8C9E9BE3

Hitch 22

Banned
No protests by the anti-war movement like there was when the U.S./UK got involved in Iraq?

Fair play to France. I fully support preventing these Islamists from taking control but the double standard is striking.:lol:

Have Europeans grown up and woken up to the fact that Bush was right all along? I hope so.

Sync

Good on them. Mali's got a democratically elected govt and are facing clear aggression from internal sources. The eu should be aiding them in their efforts to protect the democracy they've worked so hard to implement. It's good to see France and the un push for an early intervention rather than waiting until its too late.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
No protests by the anti-war movement like there was when the U.S./UK got involved in Iraq?

Fair play to France. I fully support preventing these Islamists from taking control but the double standard is striking.:lol:

Have Europeans grown up and woken up to the fact that Bush was right all along? I hope so.
are France using Shannon airport to refuel military craft and troops like with Iraq etc?

Last edited:

Morgellons

France need this for national morale right now. The Five Nations doesn't start for another month.

Sync

It's hard to know where to start with this. I really couldn't be bothered. Buy a book. Any book on the Iraq war. Then buy a paper on what's happening in Mali. Then get someone to read them to you. Then write down all the things wrong with the above post. Then hit yourself with the book.

Hitch 22

Banned
It's hard to know where to start with this. I really couldn't be bothered. Buy a book. Any book on the Iraq war. Then buy a paper on what's happening in Mali. Then get someone to read them to you. Then write down all the things wrong with the above post. Then hit yourself with the book.
After the fall of Saddam many in the West were calling for a complete withdrawal from Iraq before a democratic government could be established that could defend itself from Islamists if the US force withdrew at that time.

It is quite clear that Mali is in danger of falling to the Islamists and the Mali armed forces are incapable of containing them.

French and other European armed forces with the assistance of African countries are going to have to slap a coalition together and fight a war to save southern Mali and push into northern Mali to crush the Islamists.

The very people and countries who refused to support the war in Iraq have no option to support a war against the Islamists in Mali which is very quickly developing into a new theatre in the war on terror.

Witness ignoramuses like you would prefer for all of West Africa including Nigeria were to fall to the Islamists rather than do anything to stop a Muslim imperialist takeover.

It will be too late to fight back when the Sourbonne is surmounted by a pyramid of severed heads and the green flag of Islam flies from the Eiffel Tower.

Monday Monday

France seem to becoming much more militarily aggressive.

Fighting in Coate D'ivoire, Libya, Mali and Afganistan all in the 21st century which is only 12 years old.

Are we seeing a Post Cold War return to Western Imperial adventurism.

GDPR

Apparently troops from Senegal and Nigeria have also arrived in Mali:

French soldiers arrived on the same day as troops from neighboring Senegal and Nigeria, said Mali Defense Ministry spokesman Diarran Kone. They are expected to see combat "as soon as the necessity arises," Mr. Kone said.
French troops seem to have engaged in combat with the rebels alongside the Malian army and other troops from Western-Africa.

France Sends Troops to Aid Malian Army - WSJ.com

Hitch 22

Banned

Fighting in Coate D'ivoire, Libya, Mali and Afganistan all in the 21st century which is only 12 years old.

The French have the historical role of colonial power in much of West Africa and the Sahara and many of the educated natives speak French and are culturally French so the obvious people to entrust with helping countries in the region put down the Islamist threat are the French. The French are closest to the regimes in the region and the military officers commanding the armies of those countries are French educated and trained so obviously France should take the lead as first world nation with greater technical and military knowhow. There is considerable support among French African communities in France itself to intervene in Mali.

In the 19th century Europeans intervened in West Africa to combat Arab conquerors and slave traders and once the European departed decades ago the Islamists have been steadily trying to expand their sphere of influence southward from the Sahara. Well funded and well equipt Islamist groups with bases in Egypt, Libya, Algeria and Sudan are roaming the Sahara desert and penetrating deep into West Africa.

Last edited:

Sync

The un are urging intervention. Thousands of troops from African countries are on the way. Mali's democratically elected govt are requesting assistance. What would you have France do? Hang around and let it become another Angola, Rwanda or Sierra Leone?

FloatingVoterTralee

The most important aspect is that the French assistance has come at the specific request of Bamako - on various occasions in previous decades, their intervention in West Africa was to defend specific economic and/or political interests, but certainly, it appears that protection of democracy seems to be their main concern on this occasion. As for any comparison with Iraq, constitutional government was far from the primary motive of Washington, whereas convincing arguments could be made for international intervention in both Libya and Syria.

Tawdy

Really shaggin hard too! :roll:

Ed O'Leary

The Frenchies are not known for their selfless giving of aid and support without something being in it for them.........

With the greatest respect to the UN - I have my doubts

The insurgency has been ongoing for a year now and they control the whole of the north - there is obviously a considerable amount of support from them on the ground.

No intervention last year in the coup-etat - the country's democracy has not been restored in the interim

Also the goldfields and richest area of the country is in the South - the economy has been extensively privatised and you can bet there are considerable french interests at stake there

Also I'm sure it will be the foreign Legion going in - no body bags going home to France

Forgive me for being cynical..........

TiredOfBeingTired

Which Bush are you referring to?

5 out of 6 scholarly surveys rate Bush Senior a better President than Bush Junior.
The exception is the Murdoch owned Wall St Journal.
Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States Presidency Centre (USPC) rankings put Bush Junior as the second worst (behind LBJ) of all Presidents based on Foreign Policy Accomplishments.
Bush Senior came a very credible 14th.
Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

These figures aint perfect and I am only comparing the 2 Bushes.

Clanrickard

Witness ignoramuses like you would prefer for all of West Africa including Nigeria were to fall to the Islamists rather than do anything to stop a Muslim imperialist takeover.
How do you arrive at this conclusion?

Hitch 22

Banned
Which Bush are you referring to?

5 out of 6 scholarly surveys rate Bush Senior a better President than Bush Junior.
The exception is the Murdoch owned Wall St Journal.
Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States Presidency Centre (USPC) rankings put Bush Junior as the second worst (behind LBJ) of all Presidents based on Foreign Policy Accomplishments.
Bush Senior came a very credible 14th.
Historical rankings of Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

These figures aint perfect and I am only comparing the 2 Bushes.
Spare you obfuscating bullcrap.

Bush was right about a long war between the West and Islamists worldwide.

It is quite clear that the wars in Somalia. Nigeria, Sudan and now Mali that there is concerted drive by Islamists to try and push further south. West Africa is in their sights and the ultimate prize.

Catalpast

OK I just hope the EU does not become involved

Because sooner or later we are going to be under serious pressure to send a contingent on a 'peace making' Mission

- into what will be basically a 'Resource War' somewhere in Africa

- to protect EU economic interests...:?

GDPR

Tuareg rebellion (2007

Large Uranium deposits that are in the hands of French companies.
It should be noted that Arlit is in Niger where, as far as I know, no fighting with these rebels has been reported. France is intervening in Mali quite some time after the north of the country was lost to the rebellion.