• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

France: Jobless man sets himself on fire after being refused benefits

Marcos the black

Jobless man sets himself on fire after being refused benefits - Independent.ie

"Djamal Chaab, 43, had warned a branch of the Pole Emploi national employment agency in Nantes, western France, yesterday that he planned to kill himself, the agency said in a statement.

Although police and firemen were on alert around the agency, they were unable to stop him setting fire to himself."

Truly tragic case. The background to this case isn't given, but with the Irish Govt getting tougher on people here claiming benefits, lets hope that this is something that could ever happen here.

Is it a form of blackmail? "Keep me on welfare or I'll set myself on fire outside your office"... How should a Govt/people react to this?

ruserious

You focus on the macro, not the micro and hopefully, the rising tide will lift all boats. Tragic though it is, you can't make a special case for one just because he claims he will set himself alight.

Shqiptar

"Djamal Chaab, 43, had warned a branch of the Pole Emploi national employment agency in Nantes, western France, yesterday that he planned to kill himself, the agency said in a statement.

Although police and firemen were on alert around the agency, they were unable to stop him setting fire to himself."

Truly tragic case. The background to this case isn't given, but with the Irish Govt getting tougher on people here claiming benefits, lets hope that this is something that could ever happen here.

Is it a form of blackmail? "Keep me on welfare or I'll set myself on fire outside your office"... How should a Govt/people react to this?
Tragic case but the fact that his name is non-European French might just mean that his case gets ignored. I don't know if the French sense of social solidarity crosses ethnic boundaries - especially ethno-religious boundaries.

Marcos the black

You focus on the macro, not the micro and hopefully, the rising tide will lift all boats. Tragic though it is, you can't make a special case for one just because he claims he will set himself alight.
I agree, but can can imagine the public backlash and outcry if something like this happened here.

ruserious

I agree, but can can imagine the public backlash and outcry if something like this happened here.
Funnily enough, I don't think there would. Official Ireland would label him a nutjob and this would be accepted enough to those of influence that anger would fade pretty quick.

pragmaticapproach

Over here, a disgruntled welfare recipient would be far more likely to target an employee of the social welfare office rather than harm themselves.

In such a small country that fear factor is very real among social welfare staff. I wouldnt do their job for all the tea in china.

Last edited:

Fractional Reserve

This is only the start in France , watch France blow in the next 12 -18 months.They are instating capital controls already on cash transactions anything over 1000 euro is illegal .

'orebel

Unless you're Marcos, in which case you try to turn a tragic instance of self-immolation into an anti-doler rant, couching it as a concerned question to deflect the deserved ridicule.

pragmaticapproach

Funnily enough, I don't think there would. Official Ireland would label him a nutjob and this would be accepted enough to those of influence that anger would fade pretty quick.
The Irish do threats and intimidation, not self immolation.

gijoe

Sounds by the name as if he is a Muslim. Did they refuse to pay him benefits because he preferred to lounge around all day praying 5 times a day?

Clanrickard

Sounds by the name as if he is a Muslim. Did they refuse to pay him benefits because he preferred to lounge around all day praying 5 times a day?
Classy as always joe.

stopdoingstuff

The inevitable result of creating a society where people vote based on who offers the most free stuff in the short term while not caring about the long term.

BlackLion

What is it with you Party hacks on this site. you care more about what your party has to go thru than what goes thru the mind of people that set them self on fire( not a nice way to die) I have seen FG/Lab/FF/ULA/SF hacks do this from time to time. Do you lose that last bit of humanity when you support a party?

poor guy is all I can say :(

DAZ14

The sooner we get back to growth the better.

The recession is getting people, families and communities down.

The Government needs to try show, that there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

I know times are tough, but we must try to believe, and be more positive about our future. We can, and we will get out of this mess. I just hope it is sooner rather than later for the sake of the people, especially those most at risk of self-harm.

dresden8

What is it with you Party hacks on this site. you care more about what your party has to go thru than what goes thru the mind of people that set them self on fire( not a nice way to die) I have seen FG/Lab/FF/ULA/SF hacks do this from time to time. Do you lose that last bit of humanity when you support a party?

poor guy is all I can say :(
Indeed, they lose all sense of decency when they have to defend their lords and masters.

Disgusting human beings.

jcdf

This is only the start in France , watch France blow in the next 12 -18 months.They are instating capital controls already on cash transactions anything over 1000 euro is illegal .
That is to stop tax evaders. It will also hurt the money launders.

The Irish do threats and intimidation, not self immolation.
Self immolation accomplishes little. Threats and intimidation followed by actual action accomplishes more.

blokesbloke

If they had looked at his claim carefully and he genuinely wasn't entitled to benefits, then so be it I'm afraid.

You can't give people anything they demand because they threaten to harm themselves.

I feel sorry for him of course, but if he's not entitled then he's not entitled.