Frances Fitzgerald's stunning achievement, with 90%+ of assylum applications now being refused.

hamsterdam

There are lots of newspaper articles about African women being trafficked to Europe after being conned into believing they were going to well paid jobs, then they find themselves being forced to work as prostitutes. I've read articles about how many of the pregnant Nigerian mothers on those boats in the Med are pregnant as a result of being gang raped on their way to be forced to work as prostitutes in Europe, our navy is facilitating that.

I'm not going to link articles, people can Google it and see the horror for themselves. People believe the promises of the traffickers and they will come so long as they continue to be ferried in by navies.
There are lots of newspaper articles about African women being trafficked to Europe after being conned into believing they were going to well paid jobs, then they find themselves being forced to work as prostitutes.\\Conned my backside! I'll bet they are well aware of the"deal". When they are caught it's easy for them to claim they have been trafficked.

Hans Von Horn

There are lots of newspaper articles about African women being trafficked to Europe after being conned into believing they were going to well paid jobs, then they find themselves being forced to work as prostitutes.\\Conned my backside! I'll bet they are well aware of the"deal". When they are caught it's easy for them to claim they have been trafficked.
Check out the benefits of claiming they were trafficked. Permanent Residence instantly.

Roll_On

That's good but the problem remains that being refused asylum does not mean bon voyage it means appeals and 'leave to remain' which is basically a judge gushing out a lifetime of welfare for the lucky winner.

Watcher2

There are still bogus people getting through. Fortunately the Judicial Review route is being closed down too. Bravo Frances with more improvements to come.
There will always be exceptions. As long as its minimal, should be fine.

Mercurial

Before you folks settle into your usual xenophobic circlejerk, I'll just point out that the OP might just as easily be evidence that our system is overly harsh, refusing a large number of people who should be granted asylum.

Mercurial

That's good but the problem remains that being refused asylum does not mean bon voyage it means appeals and 'leave to remain' which is basically a judge gushing out a lifetime of welfare for the lucky winner.
Just because you might prefer to be on welfare rather than working, that doesn't mean that the same is true of the average asylum seeker.

Watcher2

Before you folks settle into your usual xenophobic circlejerk, I'll just point out that the OP might just as easily be evidence that our system is overly harsh, refusing a large number of people who should be granted asylum.
The assessments are being conducted by those with far greater access to information than you or I. If you have fact based evidence to show that those in need of asylum were clearly refused unlawfully, then present it. There is also an appeals process which is designed to catch the exceptions that are wrongly assessed, so at least two shots of application.

Sister Mercedes

There was a story last year about some loophole whereby the Gardai could not deport someone if they ran into a house and wouldn't come out, I can't remember the details, it sounds ludicrous, like a keystone cops things, does anyone know if that's been resolved yet?
We had a new angle a few weeks ago.

A Polish man, who two weeks ago prevented his extradition by refusing to board a plane at Dublin Airport because of an expressed fear of flying, was yesterday allowed to remain in the State until an appeal against his surrender by air is heard next week.
They can't deport him by land because it would require coordination and permission from each country he would transit through.

Polish man who claims fear of flying halts extradition

RodShaft

Circa 1500 asylum applications last year down form a high of 12,000.

Just about 150 people granted asylum last year.

3500 deportations last year with more progress being made. 4000 expected this year.

The Irish Savant
Deportations or deportation orders? They are not the same thing.

I think we need more immigration, not less. Lots of colour and diversity is good.

Clanrickard

Frances Fitzgerald is making great progress in weeding out bogus Asylum Seekers from the system. Under her tenure as Minister, Ireland is no longer seen as a soft touch by Asylum Shoppers.

Asylum applications in Ireland are running at just 10% of the rate of other Countries will similar sized populations.

This is really a fantastic performance by Minister Fitzgerald. This is quiet competence behind the scenes without fanfare.

Ireland refuses asylum to 90pc of applicants - Independent.ie

With a little more effort the refusal figure could be edged up to circa 98%. Asylum should be made a temporary refuge rather than a route to permanent residence or Citizenship.

This is the kind of Competence we need in the next Taoiseach.
Why? How do know bogus asylum seekers are getting through. Reputable links would be good but I am not hopeful.

Clanrickard

I think we need more immigration, not less. Lots of colour and diversity is good.
The opposite end of the spectrum. Why is it good? I would much prefer slow controlled immigration to open borders lunacy.

General Urko

Definitley on her way to becoming the next Blueshirt Fuhrer, I hope! And may be AK47 will come back as leader of The Red Blueshirts!petunia

Mercurial

The assessments are being conducted by those with far greater access to information than you or I. If you have fact based evidence to show that those in need of asylum were clearly refused unlawfully, then present it. There is also an appeals process which is designed to catch the exceptions that are wrongly assessed, so at least two shots of application.
First of all, the OP and several of the replies are premised on the assumption that assessments in the past have not been conducted properly. The implication is that the current rate is closer to the reality, in terms of the proportion of asylum seekers who have well-founded applications.

Secondly, no one is claiming that unlawful activity has taken place. The issue is whether the regulations that exist are appropriate.

Thirdly, as the article quoted in the OP suggests, the process appears to have been changed in order to make asylum harder to secure.

Truth.ie

The big problem is other EU Nations handing out EU Residence allowing people to then come to Ireland.
This.
Spain, Italy and Greece are chucking out papers double quick to Sub Saharan English speakers.
They know full well that they will travel to the UK and Ireland when they get the papers and cant churn them out quick enough.
This is the flaw in EU membership

Dame_Enda

I think the 3500 deportation figure includes those in airports refused "permission to land". By including those in the statistics (which wasnt the case before), I wonder has the actual number of total removals increased or not?

The 90% figure has always been the refusal rate and rightly so. But the provision for leave to remain needs to be abolished as it makes a farce of the appeals system.

I have concerns about the deportations of the Ahmadis if its back to a Muslim country (Im okay if its to a EU country). The Ahmadis are the only remotely liberal Muslim sect and deserves our support. They are severely persecuted in Muslim countries. No Muslim country recognises Ahmadis as Muslims. In countries where religion is a requirement to get ID cards, Ahmadis find themselves unable to get them for this reason. The Ahmadis are also subject to discrimination, harrassment and violence from Muslim immigrants to the West, as the recent murder of an Ahmadi in Scotland for wishing people a happy Christmas shows.

Last edited:

RodShaft

The opposite end of the spectrum. Why is it good? I would much prefer slow controlled immigration to open borders lunacy.
I love chatting to people whose stories and backgrounds are so different to mine.

Truth.ie

A little is healthy. Too much and at too fast a rate is unhealthy.
You couldn't pay me to live in places like Bradford, Towers Hamlets, Sweden or Blanchardstown.

RodShaft

A little is healthy. Too much and at too fast a rate is unhealthy.
You couldn't pay me to live in places like Bradford, Towers Hamlets, Sweden or Blanchardstown.
I'd pay you to live in Antartica...

Roberto Jordan

Clanrickard

Top Bottom