Frances Fitzgerald's stunning achievement, with 90%+ of assylum applications now being refused.

RodShaft

It will be interesting to see when the Brexit negotiations begin if any pressure is put on us to enter Schengen as the Brits will not be around to protect us from that madness.

I would be hopeful given our constitution that a referendum will be needed but given the state of a lot our politicians they simply cannot be trusted anyway.

I can still see a possibility for an all British Isles data base being on the cards, why should we in the British Isles not determine our own geographical uniqueness within the EU ?

After 2 failed world wars it seems a German chancellor now can just order us to take in piles of debt and piles of their third world immigrants ? Are we on fooking drugs ?

Is the new war fought with economic/political tools and not bullets ?? you would have to wonder who is fishing off our waters and who is telling us what to do within our own Country given the Bundestag gets to see our budget before we do ???
We should have entered Shengen years ago.

But our fear of doing anything on our own without holding Mammy Britain's hand prevented us.

This is NOT an independent country. It is a Vichy State.

Roll_On

90% are not "false", first of all. The fact that someone makes an unsuccessful application for asylum does not mean that they are "faking".
Yes it does. Unless you are telling me that the Irish state is turning away genuine refugees. If that were the case the UN would need to investigate.

Thirdly, why shouldn't a refugee be entitled to the same degree of welfare as anyone else?
Because they and their families have never contributed money to this state and they are not Irish.

Roll_On

We should have entered Shengen years ago.

But our fear of doing anything on our own without holding Mammy Britain's hand prevented us.

Why should we have entered Schengen? we have no land borders with the rest of Europe, that's why we have CTA with the UK instead.

RodShaft

Why should we have entered Schengen? we have no land borders with the rest of Europe, that's why we have CTA with the UK instead.
We have the CTA by accident, because no one thought to address the issue in 1922, 1937 or 1948.

APettigrew92

Yes it does. Unless you are telling me that the Irish state is turning away genuine refugees. If that were the case the UN would need to investigate.
This is the folly of this whole Refugee crisis. The Dublin Agreement is categorical in outlining that an asylum seeker must seek refuge in the first port of call.

Ireland, sharing one natural border and almost no air routes with areas in distress, is never that port of call. The asylum centers here are a joke but it is just as puzzling how a man from Iran ended up in Ireland before anywhere else.

The Swiss are very serious about questioning migrant stories and determining which are "true" and which are not. A lot of Nigerians, for example, seek asylum across Europe while having no actual reason to.

Despite that, in 2009 Switzerland approved just one application from a Nigerian asylum seeker. Six received temporary admission, but the vast majority of the almost 1,800 applications were rejected.

Meiner says the main reason for this is that during their interviews most Nigerians tell the same “stereotypical and unbelievable” story and not the truth.

“Based on these stories, rejection is probably justified. People from aid agencies who are present at the interviews come to the same conclusions,” he said.

Why Nigerians don’t tell their real stories is unclear. “We can only speculate on possible reasons. What is clear however is that people need to get hold of a lot of money for their journey to Europe.”
Nigerian asylum seekers come under pressure - SWI swissinfo.ch

Because they and their families have never contributed money to this state and they are not Irish.
A friend of mine works as a pharmacist in an inner city establishment. He reckons that 90% of foreign customers have medical cards. The number for native Irish is much, much lower.

He was at the till the other day and a man, of North African extraction, and his wife argued furiously over paying €2.50 for their prescriptions. They had to have a translator for the purpose of this.

I suppose it is easy to talk of high-minded values and the whole "feed the world" complex that Geldof promotes, but the reality is that the State takes on a huge, unneccessary burden when "workers" who are unqualified, unskilled and often unable even to speak English are allowed in, allowed to stay, given all the benefits of citizenship without any of the graft.

I've met Poles, Brazilians, Pakistanis, Indians, Nigerians, Germans, Fillipinos and other nationalities here who live and work and are baffled at the deference shown to, what they would term, "work shy" individuals. The fact that there is a website where victims of racist incidents can post anonymously and without any proof is testament to the maddening level of kowtowing.

It's all simple economics. When I moved to Germany for a year to work as a teacher, I had to submit documents declaring I had enough cash to sustain myself, that I had no chronic illness that the Germans would have to pay for and that I had to register all income with the local Burgeramt. I was even sent letters declaring I had to attend a mandatory job placement scheme despite working.

We're genuinely the fools of Europe in this regard.

We should have entered Schengen years ago.

The terrorists who entered France and Germany did so by taking advantage of Schengen. Sure, it means you can take a train ride to Frankfurt from Paris and avoid that pesky five minute check.

At what cost, though? Schengen allows unchecked, unaccountable migration. There is a reason why the right wants that repealed.

Watcher2

This is the folly of this whole Refugee crisis. The Dublin Agreement is categorical in outlining that an asylum seeker must seek refuge in the first port of call.

Ireland, sharing one natural border and almost no air routes with areas in distress, is never that port of call. The asylum centers here are a joke but it is just as puzzling how a man from Iran ended up in Ireland before anywhere else.

The Swiss are very serious about questioning migrant stories and determining which are "true" and which are not. A lot of Nigerians, for example, seek asylum across Europe while having no actual reason to.

Nigerian asylum seekers come under pressure - SWI swissinfo.ch

A friend of mine works as a pharmacist in an inner city establishment. He reckons that 90% of foreign customers have medical cards. The number for native Irish is much, much lower.

He was at the till the other day and a man, of North African extraction, and his wife argued furiously over paying €2.50 for their prescriptions. They had to have a translator for the purpose of this.

I suppose it is easy to talk of high-minded values and the whole "feed the world" complex that Geldof promotes, but the reality is that the State takes on a huge, unneccessary burden when "workers" who are unqualified, unskilled and often unable even to speak English are allowed in, allowed to stay, given all the benefits of citizenship without any of the graft.

I've met Poles, Brazilians, Pakistanis, Indians, Nigerians, Germans, Fillipinos and other nationalities here who live and work and are baffled at the deference shown to, what they would term, "work shy" individuals. The fact that there is a website where victims of racist incidents can post anonymously and without any proof is testament to the maddening level of kowtowing.

It's all simple economics. When I moved to Germany for a year to work as a teacher, I had to submit documents declaring I had enough cash to sustain myself, that I had no chronic illness that the Germans would have to pay for and that I had to register all income with the local Burgeramt. I was even sent letters declaring I had to attend a mandatory job placement scheme despite working.

We're genuinely the fools of Europe in this regard.

The terrorists who entered France and Germany did so by taking advantage of Schengen. Sure, it means you can take a train ride to Frankfurt from Paris and avoid that pesky five minute check.

At what cost, though? Schengen allows unchecked, unaccountable migration. There is a reason why the right wants that repealed.
Shengen is fine and is good in itself. We are after all, part of a united Europe and free travel is a good thing for that, underpins it even. The problems arise with porous borders around Europe. Strict immigration rules are essential. When they are absent, Shengen then causes problems, but Shengen is not the problem in this scenario.

Mercurial

Yes it does.
No it doesn't. Are you really that unimaginative?

So you think that whether a person should be entitled to welfare should depend on whether they have contributed money to the state?

Mercurial

You know nothing about what I know about the asylum system in this country, or any country for that matter.
That isn't true, as I've already explained - your comments on this thread alone suggest you have no idea what you're talking about.

Watcher2

That isn't true, as I've already explained - your comments on this thread alone suggest you have no idea what you're talking about.
Example?

Or are you just going to sit there making unsupported claims even when challenged.

This wouldn't be about our little spat on the other threads when I called out your racism?

Tisk tisk. I've heard you bear grudges.

Mercurial

Example?

Or are you just going to sit there making unsupported claims even when challenged.

This wouldn't be about our little spat on the other threads when I called out your racism?

Tisk tisk. I've heard you bear grudges.
See posts #27 and #33, for a start.

Watcher2

See posts #27 and #33, for a start.
You are going to have to work harder than that if you are trying to convince me that your premise is correct. The only statement I have made in that post is that the assessors have access to more information than you. I then asked you a question to provide facts which you failed to do. Opinion is not fact.

Felixness

Shengen is fine and is good in itself. We are after all, part of a united Europe and free travel is a good thing for that, underpins it even. The problems arise with porous borders around Europe. Strict immigration rules are essential. When they are absent, Shengen then causes problems, but Shengen is not the problem in this scenario.
Schengen is a joke. Fly from Ireland to any country that isn't part of Schengen and you are expected to show a passport and in Italy we even had our photographs taken going through security. That's pointless when people with no ID or fake ID can pass through with little or no checks. Albanians use fake Italian passports because they have a resemblance to Italians and Italian passports are so easy to fake. Want a passport from Ireland and you've to take your photos to a Garda station and have them stamped and signed to prove your who you say you are. Ludicrous when we let people get off flights from Africa with a sob story and no way of backing up their claims.

ne0ica

Wow. I always disliked her. She is in a whole new light to me now. We need toughness. Not softness.

Top Bottom