Frank Feighan aims to return Ireland to the Commonwealth by stealth?

ruserious

The journal.ie is reporting that Senator Frank Feighan of FG is proposing Ireland launch a bid to host the 2022 commonwealth games on an all-Ireland basis.
'I think the sky is the limit': Shane Ross says Ireland should 'think about' hosting the Olympics
'I think the sky is the limit': Shane Ross says Ireland should 'think about' hosting the Olympics
Referencing the Good Friday Agreement, Feighan has stated that
this could be a wonderful opportunity to showcase the island of Ireland to the world and also send out a strong message about the power of peace and reconciliation
While this, in of itself, may have some noble standing; the context should not be forgotten either. Frank Feighan is a long standing supporter of returning Ireland to the commonwealth. The below is from last year.
Ireland should consider rejoining Commonwealth, FG Senator says

Now there is support for world peace, liberty, human rights, equality and free trade, so it would be a good time to have a debate on whether the Republic should consider rejoining the Commonwealth
Indeed Feighan's long standing yearning for the British empire has not escaped p.iesters:
http://www.politics.ie/forum/oireachtas/199491-frank-feighan-wear-poppy-dail.html

So is Senator Feighan, one of the ex-Taoiseach's 11 nominees, trying to promote a Commonwealth 2022 bid in order to justify his long standing belief that Ireland should return to the commonwealth instead of some flimsy hat tip to the GFA?

razorblade

Complete bollocks from a west Brit, if he wants to be a part of Britain so much than why doesn't he go and live there, this is Ireland and always will be.

Henry94.

Why not just send the dissidents money while he's at it? This is the most profoundly irresponsible proposal I have heard in relation to the peace process. What is it about Fine Gael and their complete failure to understand the north. From Leo's ham-fisted attempt to appeal the partition wing by introducing a unionist veto on a united Ireland to this piece muppetry they never get it right. Garret Fitzgerald and Peter Barry were the exceptions. Other than that they are hopeless.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
The journal.ie is reporting that Senator Frank Feighan of FG is proposing Ireland launch a bid to host the 2022 commonwealth games on an all-Ireland basis.

While this, in of itself, may have some noble standing; the context should not be forgotten either. Frank Feighan is a long standing supporter of returning Ireland to the commonwealth. The below is from last year.

Indeed Feighan's long standing yearning for the British empire has not escaped p.iesters:
http://www.politics.ie/forum/oireachtas/199491-frank-feighan-wear-poppy-dail.html

So is Senator Feighan, one of the ex-Taoiseach's 11 nominees, trying to promote a Commonwealth 2022 bid in order to justify his long standing belief that Ireland should return to the commonwealth instead of some flimsy hat tip to the GFA?
Your sleight of hand in identifying the Commonwealth with the British Empire is positively fluorescent.

I'm not a fan of either institution, but some pieces of rhetorical dishonesty just stand out like a sore thumb.

General Urko

A referendum on rejoining The Commonwealth would be much more significant than a lot of the nonsense referenda we have held! In the wake of a final Brexit, we should have one and a positive result might wake Eurocrat pigging @ the trough Gobshytes up a little!

NMunsterman

stopdoingstuff

I think there should be an Irish Commonwealth for parts of our Empire, such as Chicago or Birmingham.

General Urko

A referendum on rejoining The Commonwealth would be much more significant than a lot of the nonsense referenda we have held! In the wake of a final Brexit, we should have one and a positive result might wake Eurocrat pigging @ the trough Gobshytes up a little!
As a gesture of solidarity towards our British Mates in the wake of Brexit and with the way we will be further ridden red raw as a consequence of it by our so called European 'Partners', any negativity ordinary Irish People have towards joining the Commonwealth. if there is any, will rapidly dissipate!
Rejoin!

GDPR

Equating the modern Commonwealth with the British Empire requires also an equation between the EU and The Various Reichs/Napoleon/Belgium in the Congo etc

My problem with the Commonwealth is that to join it we'd have to give up and replace the champagne Marxist leprechaun we have now as head of state with a British royal instead . As attractive as booting the former is , the latter is a step too far , for me personally. Regardless of the historical connotations and being "mature" etc there's no way in hell I could ever support a foreign unelected privileged monarchy and all the cringey Hyacinth Buckets it would encourage to crawl out of the woodwork

ruserious

Your sleight of hand in identifying the Commonwealth with the British Empire is positively fluorescent.

I'm not a fan of either institution, but some pieces of rhetorical dishonesty just stand out like a sore thumb.
The Commonwealth of Nations headed by QEII:

The British Empire:

Slight of hand, indeed.

Paddyc

Ireland is not in the Commonwealth and the vast majority of people in Ireland have absolutely no interest in joining.

On the other hand, we are bidding to host the Rugby World Cup in 2023 :

https://www.joe.ie/sport/watch-irelands-world-cup-2023-promo-will-give-goosebumps-582461
Exactly.

We have been working for years on an application to host the Rugby World Cup, a competition we participate in. We're competing with France and South Africa for the right to host it and a lot of diplomatic effort is going into it. We've agreed with the GAA that they will open their stadia for matches and it's a North/South combined effort.

The idea that we could leapfrog this process to host the Commonwealth Games, a competition we've never been involved in is ludicrous.

General Urko

Mods, let's have a poll framed in the wake of Brexit on whether we should rejoin THe Commonwealth or not and also, if there has not been a recent one on whether or not we should have a UI! Please, Ah, go on, go on, GO ON, GO ON!

GDPR

Exactly.

We have been working for years on an application to host the Rugby World Cup, a competition we part.icipate in. We're competing with France and South Africa for the right to host it and a lot of diplomatic effort is going into it. We've agreed with the GAA that they will open their stadia for matches and it's a North/South combined effort.

The idea that we could leapfrog this process to host the Commonwealth Games, a competition we've never been involved in is ludicrous.
Can you host the Commonwealth games while not being in the Commonwealth ? Sounds strange to me . If it was economically beneficial for the host , how would any member country allow that ?

Spanner Island

FFS... if there was any inkling of a possibility of this before Brexit it's gone now...

Utter nonsense from a gobsh!te...

And WTF is Ross on about hosting the Olympics?

More madness from that idiot...

Very few cities want to host the Olympics anymore - it's too expensive and too much hassle... so much so that there are only two contenders left for 2024 (Paris and LA) which has led the IOC to agree that if Paris and LA can decide which one gets 2024 then the other can have 2028 without any vote being required...

The_SR

He was on newstalk there. While his heart seems to be in the right place, he hasn't thought this through. He wants Belfast to apply to replace Durban in 2023 and the south to support it logistically.

One fatal flaw. What venue? The RWC can be played in GAA grounds with no work to the venues. Putting in a track and the dressing room facilities in Casement as he mentioned is just lacking any understanding of sport. And that's before we get to the unlikely event of the GAA agreeing.

Or put another way. Dublin doesn't have anything approaching this level of sporting infrastructure. What chance has Belfast?

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
The guy's an amadan, will give a boost to the Sinn Fein vote in Roscommon though :D :D

Northsideman

Feighan and Ross, two numbskulls, they'll both be lucky to be councillors soon.

Complete and utter gobsh!tery from both of em. Ross obviously picked up the village idiot traits from his Tour de Kerry with the Healy Reas.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'd be as wary of this proposal as I am wary of the RWC- if not more. If it would mean building infrastructure especially to host such games apart from the unwanted political baggage of the commonwealth games I'd be against it if only for the obvious patronage contracting we'd see either in the North or South around it.

While these major international sporting tournaments create excitement for a few the many end up paying for it and as we've seen the Olympics have become such a costly burden that cities are starting to rescind from applying to hold them.

The routine by organisers and marketing people around these events is now well known- (1) vastly underplay projected costs (2) make sure that all the prime ticketing goes to corporates around the events themselves (3) play down the considerable disruption during construction and the events themselves (4) play up the lies that it will be a great opportunity for all to enjoy which never turns out to be the case (5) play up the notion that white elephant construction sites will be used thereafter by everyone.

The political baggage of hosting the 'commonwealth' games in Ireland would not be welcome to many and Mr Feighan would do well to acknowledge that instead of pretending otherwise for his own amusement.

The last thing Ireland needs now is a politically loaded stresser around something like this which could be classed as a vanity project for Mr Feighan and potential fellow travellers like the Dowager Countess of Meath, Lady Bruton.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies