Frank Stagg

RasherHash

Yes in the 70s. Probably wouldn't have happened but for a soviet-backed revolt going on 100 miles north of dublin.

Plenty of "verbal republicans" got caught up with them including a friend of mine. Seems most republicans are verbal republicans....
Most people want the easy life, very few people are willing to risk life and limb fighting for freedom, look at France in WW2, or Jersey.

McTell

Most people want the easy life, very few people are willing to risk life and limb fighting for freedom, look at France in WW2, or Jersey.

I don't think a bus driver in england would have the skills to run a 32-county republic with 2 different "traditions", having bombed lots of civilians on his way to the peace table.

More than likely we have had cases of low self-esteem that were magically cured overnight by killing some unlucky pedestrian.

Talk Back

I don't think a bus driver in england would have the skills to run a 32-county republic with 2 different "traditions", having bombed lots of civilians on his way to the peace table.

More than likely we have had cases of low self-esteem that were magically cured overnight by killing some unlucky pedestrian.
Who did Stagg kill???

You a proper little 'Uncle Tom - I can see right through you.

McTell

Who did Stagg kill???

You a proper little 'Uncle Tom - I can see right through you.

Nobody, but his plan was to bomb ordinary people in the streets, as far as we know.

From the vantage point of a mayo childhood in the 50s, and making it up to Bus Driver, we can see that he didn't have the best start in life, but that's not an excuse to go killing anybody. He was as free as he wanted to be, and didn't even live in the 6 counties.

These are the facts, and there's nothing Uncle Tom about facts. He failed to bomb anyone, thank god, and was arrested, and the only headline left was to starve himself.

I don't know why any of us are expected to admire his life choices. Very sad really.

michael-mcivor

Nobody, but his plan was to bomb ordinary people in the streets, as far as we know.

From the vantage point of a mayo childhood in the 50s, and making it up to Bus Driver, we can see that he didn't have the best start in life, but that's not an excuse to go killing anybody. He was as free as he wanted to be, and didn't even live in the 6 counties.

These are the facts, and there's nothing Uncle Tom about facts. He failed to bomb anyone, thank god, and was arrested, and the only headline left was to starve himself.

I don't know why any of us are expected to admire his life choices. Very sad really.
he lived as best as could be expected- the Guards / the 26 government were afraid of his dead body- were they afraid of all dead bus drives body’s or did the see something special in Vol Stagg-

McTell

he lived as best as could be expected- the Guards / the 26 government were afraid of his dead body- were they afraid of all dead bus drives body’s or did the see something special in Vol Stagg-

I don't know. Everybody went a bit mad in the 70s. A guard had been shot dead outside a dublin bank in 1968 or 69, and surprise surprise, they didn't like "republicans".

McTell

Garda Fallon was shot dead in 1970 by the armed wing of FF called Saor Eire.

Thank you. The gardi over-reacted, and so ensured that stagg got his headlines. Gardi in the 70s were not known for their intellect. Much better to ignore, and let them do their morbid martyrdom ceremonies for the converted.

Talk Back

Get the name of the country right and it might be worth a debate. The Free State ceased to exist well before 1975. I am sick of whiny residents of the UK who wish they were part of the Republic, but didn't fight hard enough, misnaming the country I live in. (see we can all do that) They now want us to make up for their own short comings as freedom fighters.

You will find that there were a number of atrocities committed during the Civil War (when there really was a Free State) which were significantly more disgraceful and embarrassing than this one by a magnitude of 100.

Now be a good little surrender monkey and learn the proper name of the 26 county portion of this Island. :twisted:
Call it what you want - it's still the same jurisdiction as set up by the enemy England under its 'Gov of Ireland Act 1920'.

Meaningless name changes for the 'Southern Ireland' State are just that - meaningless.

Talk Back

He lived in Ireland - the 6 counties you mention are in Ireland.

Ireland is our country - not the 'Southern Ireland' State.

McTell

He lived in Ireland - the 6 counties you mention are in Ireland.

Ireland is our country - not the 'Southern Ireland' State.

Yes but we and he didn't have the excuse of being "occupied" by "crown forces". In fact his taxes were paying for the crown forces. Logic probably not his best side.

Lots of guys like him were drawn in by emotion and time spent in the pub, and were used, and died, and you have to ask if he saw his future on top of the heap or had a death wish.

Talk Back

Yes but we and he didn't have the excuse of being "occupied" by "crown forces". In fact his taxes were paying for the crown forces. Logic probably not his best side.

Lots of guys like him were drawn in by emotion and time spent in the pub, and were used, and died, and you have to ask if he saw his future on top of the heap or had a death wish.
You don't know what you are posting about.

Taxes in the 'Southern Ireland' State still go to the UK. Ground rents for Arbour Hill, the burial place of our 1916 leaders for example.

It's hard to free fools from the chains they revere.

McTell

You don't know what you are posting about.

Taxes in the 'Southern Ireland' State still go to the UK. Ground rents for Arbour Hill, the burial place of our 1916 leaders for example.

It's hard to free fools from the chains they revere.

And the GPO! But then all these places were built by "Crown Forces", destroyed by Crown Forces and rebuilt by Crown Forces.

Top Bottom