Frank Stagg

Conuil

merle haggard said:
I have supported IRA actions on this thread , Ive questioned why its wrong to kill a peeler because hes south of the border
I feel I've given U a detailed response m'chara....

Conuil

MeTarzanYouVoter said:
Ok, there's a republican tradition of grave-side orations. I actually find the Pearse oration at O'Donovan Rossa's funeral quite good:

"... Life springs from death; and from the graves of patriot men and women spring living nations. The Defenders of this Realm have worked well in secret and in the open. They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have pacified half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! - they have left us our Fenian dead - And while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace...."

However, there's a world of a difference between that and engaging in graverobbing to goose-step around in pastiche ceremonies, to become self-parody. And you can come clean and admit that it was totally against the wishes of the family too; if you'd care to speak with any of them they'll continue to tell you so.

It would be great if republicans could turn their attention to those for whom they have not yet disclosed accurate co-ordinates for the executions and burials. (I hate the term "disappeared" but loyalists can still use it as a stick with which to beat the republican movement as long as the situation continues without any closure for those families).
Personally, I've always abhorred what happened to those victims dubbed; Disappeared - as everyone is entitled to a decent burial.

Though, I also strongly believe that the current IRA Leadership have went to great lengths to remedy this situation...

Conuil

merle haggard said:
you havent , youve said something unclear about different times , different leadership and then questioned my logic . All I can determine from your response is its wrong because Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness say its wrong .
Yeah, I've questioned your'e current logic about past IRA actions. As I'm also a Republican Activist - I'm quite entitled to do so....

As you're well aware comrade; IRA Standing-Orders prohibit offensive operations in the 26 County Area....Which was agreed upon at successive Army Conventions...

Or do U deny that?

If all U can determine from my day-long posts, that if Adams and McGuinness say its wrong then its wrong....

Bhuel, I guess your brand of Irish Republicanism is less progressive than my own ;)

DublinDaze

the hatchetman said:
2 republican heroes, micheal gaughan, and frank stagg. Let their names never be forgotten, they paid the ultimate sacrafice and died like many other republican heroes in the most courageous of ways.
Eh, no, they were a pair of murdering psychopaths who used a terrorist organisation to justify mudering civilians.

Thankfully the people who glorify these mentalists live up north in the UK and aren't Irish.

Conuil

DublinDaze said:
the hatchetman said:
2 republican heroes, micheal gaughan, and frank stagg. Let their names never be forgotten, they paid the ultimate sacrafice and died like many other republican heroes in the most courageous of ways.
Eh, no, they were a pair of murdering psychopaths who used a terrorist organisation to justify mudering civilians.

Thankfully the people who glorify these mentalists live up north in the UK and aren't Irish.
Ah well we're still in a dazeeeee

Aindriu

merle haggard said:
the theft of a body and its burial under concrete was absolutely obscene . Not to mention ignorant , backward and plain stupid . Only an ignoramus and an idiot could defend such an action , or a complete discredited looper like Conor Cruise .
I concur with this point completely. The action taken with the mortal remains of Frank Stagg would have been wrong no matter what government or police force sanctioned it. The psychological impact on the grieving family members must have been immense.

PatMcL

Whether elements of the family, ie his brother or indeed the government of the day, including O 'Brien liked it or not Frank Stagg was an Irish Republican who made a supreme sacrifice for his beliefs. In the event of his death he simply wished to be buried alongside fellow Mayo man Michael Gaughan. They are facts that I believe no one would dispute.

Also beyond dispute is the fact that the government of the day did indeed hijack the funeral cortege for their own party political reasons. That was shameful and given the latter prononuncements of those politicians hardly surprising. Also, the subsequent revelations about the same individuals and their involvement in the veil of secrecy and inaction regarding British bomb attacks and mass murder in the 26 counties will surprise very few.

It is what they are and they simply cant help it.

Conuil

Conuil said:
Seamus said:
Conuil said:
Seamus said:
The IRA even disbanded and expelled the Unit, responsible for the explosion in Enniskillen.
Do you honestly believe that?
It's irrelevant whether I belive it or not...

As I'm only quoting a statement from ONH from the time...

What's the point anyhow?
The unit wasnt disbanded or expelled to the best of my knowledge and its highly unlikely that the unit involved in enniskillen would have been disbanded or expelled as the morale in the army would have been dealt a huge blow, as any disbandment or expulsion would have been the result of the huge media pressure as well as the public outrage being brought down on psf.
To the volunteer on the ground who is under orders to carry out such attacks it would be very confusing for them as to who is in actual charge of the army.
I can't recall the exact date the L/Ship statement was issued, but it was around the middle of '88. It was released soon after the same ASU killed an Off-Duty RUC member in County Donegal. As well as, a woman civilian in County Fermanagh, who they belived was a UDR Greenfinch. Sadly, it was the wrong infomation :cry:

I belive your also wrong, stating that any explusion would have dealt the IRA a huge blow. Throughout, Republican history many, many Volunteer have been dismissed by successive Leaderships. Sure, you can't deny that?

Regarding who's actually in charge; according to the IRA's Constitution...The Army Executive and Army Council....If a particular O/C wishes to carry-out operations on his/her own bat - they must take the consequences for those actions....
The woman killed in County Fermanagh was; 21 year-old Protestant, Gillian Johnston (RIP). A civilian, killed outside her home by the IRA at Leggs, near Belleek, on March 18, 1988.....

I'm still trying to locate the other details - but I will comrade

Insider2007

Conuil said:
merle haggard said:
but stiffing mountbatten only a few miles up the road was OK ? Or Ewart Biggs in Dublin ?
Mountbatten was killed in 1979;

Ewart Biggs was killed in 1976;

Different times chara, different Leaderships and of course there were indeed exceptional targets.....

The other operations, were done in 1987/1988. And were at best wrong...

I don't understand your logic here, are you not a one-time Republican Activist :roll:
Whereas killing people in the Republic in the 1970s was right???

And what do you mean "were at best wrong? What was the at worst? Criminal?

Conuil

Insider2007 said:
Conuil said:
merle haggard said:
but stiffing mountbatten only a few miles up the road was OK ? Or Ewart Biggs in Dublin ?

Different times chara, different Leaderships and of course there were indeed exceptional targets.....

I don't understand your logic here, are you not a one-time Republican Activist :roll:

I've never agreed with offensive operations in the 26 Counties by the IRA. However, I was too young when Mountbatten and Ewart Biggs were killed. To understand the situation....

Regards, you quoting me; "were at best wrong? What was the at worst? Criminal?[/quote] :?:

I didn't write or post those comments.. :roll:

Insider2007

Conuil said:
Insider2007 said:
Conuil said:
merle haggard said:

I've never agreed with offensive operations in the 26 Counties by the IRA. However, I was too young when Mountbatten and Ewart Biggs were killed. To understand the situation....

Regards, you quoting me; "were at best wrong? What was the at worst? Criminal?
:?:

I didn't write or post those comments.. :roll:[/quote]

Sorry. They appeared to have come from you, but I know I comments from one person can end up appearing to come from someone else. Probably a quote mark was missing or something.

Conuil

Insider2007 said:
Conuil said:
Insider2007 said:
Conuil said:
merle haggard said:

Regards, you quoting me; "were at best wrong? What was the at worst? Criminal?
:?:

I didn't write or post those comments.. :roll:
Sorry. They appeared to have come from you, but I know I comments from one person can end up appearing to come from someone else. Probably a quote mark was missing or something.[/quote]

Slainte A Chara, agus go raibh mhaith agat....

merle haggard

PatMcL said:
Whether elements of the family, ie his brother or indeed the government of the day, including O 'Brien liked it or not Frank Stagg was an Irish Republican who made a supreme sacrifice for his beliefs. In the event of his death he simply wished to be buried alongside fellow Mayo man Michael Gaughan. They are facts that I believe no one would dispute.

Also beyond dispute is the fact that the government of the day did indeed hijack the funeral cortege for their own party political reasons. That was shameful and given the latter prononuncements of those politicians hardly surprising. Also, the subsequent revelations about the same individuals and their involvement in the veil of secrecy and inaction regarding British bomb attacks and mass murder in the 26 counties will surprise very few.

It is what they are and they simply cant help it.
if this was the type of depraved , anti -irish , anti christian and plain lunatic activity they were prepared to get involved in under the glare of publicity what the fukk were these deeply disturbed and plainly degenerate individuals sanctioning in secret ? We know now they sanctioned the Baldonnel accord which was probably unconstitutional and illegal . God knows what else .

Jimmy Sands

Website
www.cafepress.com
He had no wishes. He was dead. If the State determined that an atavistic display of corpse worship was inimical to the public interest so be it. There is certainly no public interest in glorifying suicide.

Conuil

Jimmy Sands said:
He had no wishes. He was dead. If the State determined that an atavistic display of corpse worship was inimical to the public interest so be it. There is certainly no public interest in glorifying suicide.
Oh right; so then people who committ suicide shouldn't have a public funeral. As that could be interpeted as glorifying suicide......

How backward U are :twisted:

Aindriu

Conuil said:
Jimmy Sands said:
Oh right; so then people who committ suicide shouldn't have a public funeral. As that could be interpeted as glorifying suicide......

How backward U are :twisted:
A chara, it isn't worth rising to the bait :?

The fact that he had clearly stated his wishes - which are sacrosanct in law if they were on his death bed - is obviously irrelevent to some on here. Basically, there are some on here who will never accept a posting with a republican slant without venting their spleen over it. I may not have agreed with Frank Staggs actions but I definitely disagree with the fact that the government did what they did.

Top Bottom