• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fred Thompson has withdrawn from the Republican race

antagoniser

That will benefit Huckabee alot, and could put him in the lead in a number of states - considering he is now the only candidate from the conservative wing of the party. McCain, Romney and Guliani could cannibalise each others vote allowing Huckabee to pull in front.

Website
certainpeople.wordpress.com
Nope.

McCain just won Florida. And the nomination.

Thompson and McCain draw from much same pool of voters. He even campaigned for McCain back in the 2000 primaries. True, Thompson is more socially conservative, but nowhere near Huckabee standard. His votes will go largely to McCain, and that will push him far enough away from Romney and Giuliani to take Florida.

Rocky

certain_people said:
Nope.

McCain just won Florida. And the nomination.

Thompson and McCain draw from much same pool of voters. He even campaigned for McCain back in the 2000 primaries. True, Thompson is more socially conservative, but nowhere near Huckabee standard. His votes will go largely to McCain, and that will push him far enough away from Romney and Giuliani to take Florida.
There was talk a few weeks ago, of Thompson pulling out and endorsing McCain, now that clearly hasn't happened or at least not yet, but that would give McCain a big boost.

Huckabee has very little money and money is very important in Florida, so I think that’s going to hurt him a lot and after Huckabee, McCain is definitely the man who will benefit the most from Thompson pulling out.

meriwether

Im fierce tempted to go in again.
McCain was 4/1 when I checked this morning.

NotDevsSon

This should give McCain a crucial boost. Thompson was always personally and politically close to McCain and not a fan of Huckabee.

Huckabee has damn all money. He was counting on big early wins to generate income and momentum. Neither has happened. So there is a real likelihood that he will run out of money not long after Super Tuesday. With Giuliani not on target to win Florida, his campaign is going down in flames. So with Thompson gone, Giuliani dying and Huckabee broke, it leaves the race between Romney and McCain, with McCain way ahead.

It is looking more and more like a McCain versus Clinton battle, which would be fascinating because apart from anything else, both are very close friends who have worked together, both are very intelligent, so you could have a very intelligent presidential campaign involving two people lightyears superior to Bush, two people who have the potential to be top class presidents. They are so personally close that both have said in the past that they would love to have the other in their cabinet.

I think in a battle between both, America and the world would be the winner.

Defeated Romanticist

I had a lot of time for Fred Thompson, espcecially his promotion of Federalism. I think his campaign was sabotaged by the establishment Conservative media who never gave him a break. His timing stunk as well. His strategy was based on coming in as a shining light to rescue the GOP. He came in to early though and allowed himself to be torn down. His mother is apparently sick and they say his wife was the main impetus behind his campaign so it's not really surprising that he has dropped out.

I really hope he goes back to Law and order.

EDIT: I just looked at the Realclearpolitics average and he has actually gone up! He was at 9% now he's at 10.2%!

meriwether

The NY Times were downplaying the benefit this will have for McCain.
That displeases me.

DOD

Good idea. We all know what happened the last time they let a washed up actor in the white house.

LowIQ

Another Republican set back: What are the implications for Adams' leadership?

Big Bruffer

Big Bruffer said:
antagoniser said:
That will benefit Huckabee alot, and could put him in the lead in a number of states - considering he is now the only candidate from the conservative wing of the party. McCain, Romney and Guliani could cannibalise each others vote allowing Huckabee to pull in front.
There was a very interesting FOX Poll prior to SC. One question asked was If Your First Choice was not running who would you vote for. Surprisingly the Thompson supporters when their man was excluded broke pretty evenly for McCain and Huckabee with Romney a distant third.

The Trinity Politick

KingKane said:
I reckon it will come down to Romney vs McCain post SD Tuesday.
I'm beginning to think that McCain may let it slip through his fingers again. McCain has an astonishingly low amount of money for a presidential campaign. Romney isn't dead by any stretch and don't rule out Rudy.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Rudy needs to win Florida and I reckon that he won't. For foreign policy and the war of terror, McCain trumps Rudy, and domestically and fiscally Romney trumps Rudy too, and for those looking for social conservatives both Huckabee and Romney trump Rudy. Romney can still win if Huckabee doesn't have the money to be really competitive on SD Tuesday.

kerrynorth

The Trinity Politick said:
KingKane said:
I'm beginning to think that McCain may let it slip through his fingers again. McCain has an astonishingly low amount of money for a presidential campaign. Romney isn't dead by any stretch and don't rule out Rudy.
McCain is leading the polls in all the big Super Tuesday States - he even has a consistent lead over Guiliani in NY! www.realclearpolitics.com

The Red Rose of Cork

The nomination has Romney written all over it. He's right this year when he points out that its a delegate race and if he manages to continue to poll well in states leaning to McCain and Huckabee then he just might squeeze it

Defeated Romanticist

kerrynorth said:
The Trinity Politick said:
KingKane said:
McCain is leading the polls in all the big Super Tuesday States - he even has a consistent lead over Guiliani in NY! www.realclearpolitics.com
His lead is mostly Giuliani switchers. What's the betting that should Rudy win Florida he's home?

McCain is far from home and the neo-con attack hounds are doing their worst. Perhaps an endorsement from Thompson could send him over the edge but that looks unlikely.

President Bartlet

He should never have netered the race - never had a chance - suppose he thought he could do a Ronald Regan - as other posters have saidf - no big loss