• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Free Bus Transport for Students

emmet100

If pensioners can get free bus passes, then so should I. Third-level students already face enough financial pressure from regristration fees, high food and accomodation prices, and the threat of E5.00 pints. Isn't it time that the 130,000 students should be granted free transport with Bus Eireann so as to make their lives that little bit easier. After all, lets face it, which group is more important, pensioners or students. . .

jady88

Hear hear. However I believe it is time that free transport be rolled out to all levels of student. This would help signifcantly reduce expences for families and students as well as benifit the public transport system.

White Horse

emmet100 said:
After all, lets face it, which group is more important, pensioners or students. . .
Arrogant liitle sh1t.

You think you are more "important" than the people who keep the country going through the pre-Cetlic tiger days.

You should be ashamed of your ingratitude.

emmet100

White Horse said:
emmet100 said:
After all, lets face it, which group is more important, pensioners or students. . .
Arrogant liitle sh1t.

You think you are more "important" than the people who keep the country going through the pre-Cetlic tiger days.

To be brutally honest, yes, students needs are more important than those of pensioners. Students are already facing difficulties trying to make their way in the world. If you can't face reality then that's your problem. They're also the people who allowed the Proclaimation be betrayed and allowed this country turn into a theocracy, but now I'm getting off topic. I've nothing against pensioners getting free travel and other perks, but theres no reason why young people should get nothing.

White Horse

emmet100 said:
If you can't face reality then that's your problem. They're also the people who allowed the Proclaimation be betrayed and allowed this country turn into a theocracy, but now I'm getting off topic. I've nothing against pensioners getting free travel and other perks, but theres no reason why young people should get nothing.
Firstly, a student is the last person to lecture on reality. When you have worked hard, paid you own way, raised a family, and cared for dying parents, you can start lecturing.

Secondly, you are entitled to nothing. Pensioners receive benefits beacuse they earned it, worked for it, and paid taxes for it.

Next time you giving you dirty clothes to your Mummy to wash for you, tell her what you have just discussed.

I hope it's a hard slap.

Reggie Perrin

emmet100 said:
If pensioners can get free bus passes, then so should I. Third-level students already face enough financial pressure from regristration fees, high food and accomodation prices, and the threat of E5.00 pints. Isn't it time that the 130,000 students should be granted free transport with Bus Eireann so as to make their lives that little bit easier. After all, lets face it, which group is more important, pensioners or students. . .
And who's going to pay for the cost of all these student bus freebies?

There's nothing free in this life you know.

emmet100

Reggie Perrin said:

The cost of providing such a service would not be that great compared to the millions spent elsewhere. At the very least, Bus Eireann could offer students a year-long pass for unlimited travel for say E100. It would still be a sensible decesion by government.

Reggie Perrin

emmet100 said:
Reggie Perrin said:

The cost of providing such a service would not be that great compared to the millions spent elsewhere. At the very least, Bus Eireann could offer students a year-long pass for unlimited travel for say E100. It would still be a sensible decesion by government.
I've no problem with the idea of a year long pass at a reduced rate. The difficulty is at how much the rate is to be set.

I do have a problem with straight up free travel in the bus for students though.

tonys

emmet100 said:
White Horse said:
emmet100 said:
Arrogant liitle sh1t.

To be brutally honest, yes, students needs are more important than those of pensioners. Students are already facing difficulties trying to make their way in the world. If you can't face reality then that's your problem. They're also the people who allowed the Proclaimation be betrayed and allowed this country turn into a theocracy, but now I'm getting off topic. I've nothing against pensioners getting free travel and other perks, but theres no reason why young people should get nothing.
It’s hard to believe that you’re serious about this.
There’s one good reason why students should get nothing free , they’ve earned nothing.

Instead of whinging about what you don’t get, you should be on a least one knee, thanking your maker that the rest of us (including people who couldn’t go to third level themselves and who can’t afford to let their own kids go) are willing to pay for YOUR third level education.

public transport shoul be paid for out of our taxes given free point of service travel for all.

drjimryan

I agree.......

and to pay for it .........cap childrens allowance at 75 k earnings per family

No Just tax the super rich who dont pay any tax, and that would pay for it.

Pidge

Sovereignty and Unity said:
No Just tax the super rich who dont pay any tax, and that would pay for it.
I presume you've done the math on this one, right?

The OD

Student life is all about toughing it out alas, living in dingy holes, eating lentil and cabbage stew and drinking buckfast - it makes a man/woman of you so just get stuck in and do your time like the rest of us. Harsh, but thats the way of it, it seems.

I wouldnt be half the man I am today if I hadnt slept in a rat infested, damp, dark overpriced kip eating protein defficient slop and smoking Drum rollies til my fingers went yellow, looking up chemistry books in the library (the 'net was comprised of bulletin boards at the time, no fancy interweb for us back then) to try and see how easy it was to make illicit booze that didnt blind us and generally being scruffy.

Heres an idea, get a bike. You stay fit (for a cheap investment), you arent adding to the carbon burden and its one less seat taken up on the bus for the rest of the OAPs.....

Unless you want to take up drug dealing...... :wink:

(Now that is definitely a JOKE folks so dont all start attacking me! From what I can make out, like every other occupation its all about hard work and contacts, except you might get shot in the eye or something or get arrested and murdered in mountjoy because your daddy isnt a judge or you go to the wrong school or you just have a 'working class' accent)

Sigh...the youth of today.... :roll:

St Disibod

Forgive me for wandering off topic here, but there are two statements that I think are worth countering.

emmet100 said:
After all, lets face it, which group is more important, pensioners or students [...] students needs are more important than those of pensioners
As has already been made clear by other poster, this is an incredibly obtuse statement. It can be quickly countered thusly: "which group deserves more support?"

Supporting students is moslty towards economic benefit, though there are social considerations also. Supporting pensioners is simply decent. Which is more important? I can't answer for sure.

White Horse said:
Firstly, a student is the last person to lecture on reality. When you have worked hard, paid you own way, raised a family, and cared for dying parents, you can start lecturing.
What about students who have fulfilled (or are fulfilling) all those criteria? Or those who are fulfilling three of them? Two?

Lecturing on reality is generally just a bad idea. Offer advice instead.

students in this country really have NO idea how good they have it.
it is the fact that we have free fees which means that our standards are slipping so far down its extremely worrying.
in the US you can expect to pay thousands upon thousands for college and they have the best colleges in the world. this is what we must compete with.
to talk about free bus passes is ridiculous.
there is a pathethic culture of entitlement in the country among the filthy middle class and it needs to be stamped out pronto.

emmet100

insidethepalethankfully said:
it is the fact that we have free fees which means that our standards are slipping so far down its extremely worrying.
in the US you can expect to pay thousands upon thousands for college and they have the best colleges in the world.
So you're suggesting an educational system where only the rich get a shot at college and the poorer get told to f*ck off is the solution. Get real. America may have some of the best colleges in the world but there is also a huge financial burden on students and their families with fees running into the tens of thousands each year.

There is a pathethic culture of entitlement in the country among the filthy middle class and it needs to be stamped out pronto.
I think you'll find most students and their families are from ordinary socio-economic backgrounds. And it's called a Welfare State, Insidethepale.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
students in this country really have NO idea how good they have it.
in the US you can expect to pay thousands upon thousands for college and they have the best colleges in the world. this is what we must compete with.
to talk about free bus passes is ridiculous.
there is a pathethic culture of entitlement in the country among the filthy middle class and it needs to be stamped out pronto.
Dammit my good chap... you're bloody well right .. chop chop

The OD

Entitlement? You mean actually getting something back for all the taxes, direct and indirect we shell out?

Newsflash mate, I get NOTHING off the government that they do not absolutely have to give me but I sure as well am owed a whole lot. Not that I ever expect to see it, nor complain overmuch about it.

I am owed:

Decent healthcare.
Decent roads and somesort of backbone about the carnage on our roads.
Decent level of accountability from the elected and unelected who attempt to run this country
Decent level of a safety net for my fellow citizens, who through no fault of their own, come upon hard times.
Decent education system/infrastructure.
Decent and intelligent planning procedures.
A proper roll out of technologies such as broadband, especially for those in rural areas (and yes I have broadband thanks very much)
A government who doesnt drop their pants and bend over every time the US wants to soil our soil with their filthy little flights.
A definitive plan to tackle issues such as suicide and mental health.
Proper redress to the corruption of the Church. Garda and those who still are sitting in lofty positions who either enabled, covered up or turned a blindeye to these matters.
I could go on, but their plenty of threads that cover all these topics and more.

I'm so needy am I not? Emmet, whilst I do not agree with him has a legitimite argument here. If you think the US is so great, why not move?

:roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies