• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Free cities

pragmaticapproach

An idea thats caught my attention is the concept of "Free cities", several of which are planned for Honduras. Unfortunately, the supreme court of this country has blocked the project ruling it unconstitutional. It would seem to be nothing more than a temporary setback. hopefully this intriguing and potentially lucrative project(for both the investors and Honduran people) will go ahead as soon as possible.

Honduran Private City Plan Shot Down by Its Supreme Court - Hit & Run : Reason.com

[video=youtube;yP-BkOesZ8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-BkOesZ8Q[/video]

[video=youtube;mSHBma0Ithk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSHBma0Ithk[/video]

Opinions?

Last edited:

truthisfree

Very interesting idea indeed, have not watched the videos yet but will later and comment again :)

CookieMonster

I think they are an excellent idea and really wish we'd see some real ones developed.

aldiper

Haven't watched the videos prag, but I think this could be an excellent idea. There is strength in diversity; different approaches to taxation, education, healthcare could be implemented, assessed and scrapped with far greater freedom than having to go through the national circus first.

Ireland might have played out very differently if a small party like the PDs had found their influence confined to a very small geographical region, as befitted their support, as opposed to the national stage they got to sh1te all over.

firefly123

Ireland might have played out very differently if a small party like the PDs had found their influence confined to a very small geographical region, as befitted their support, as opposed to the national stage they got to sh1te all over.
Democracy is such a pain in the hole isn't it.

alonso

Dubai as an example?

Seriously, is that the society we're aiming for?
The first 2 minutes are so full of holes and wild assumptions about global wealth that I have found it difficult to watch.

pragmaticapproach

Mass democracy is the road to tyranny. Take Chile for example, If it wasnt for Pinochet over throwing the supposedly democratic Allende regime and implementing market oriented reforms, Chile would not be one of south Americas most prosperous nations.

pragmaticapproach

Dubai as an example?

Seriously, is that the society we're aiming for?
The first 2 minutes are so full of holes and wild assumptions about global wealth.
How about we start a mini North Korea? would that be OK in your books?

alonso

Haven't watched the videos prag, but I think this could be an excellent idea. There is strength in diversity; different approaches to taxation, education, healthcare could be implemented, assessed and scrapped with far greater freedom than having to go through the national circus first.
Federalism? Some countries have that already.
How is ​the American underclass these days?

pragmaticapproach

alonso

How about we start a mini North Korea? would that be OK in your books?
#
Oh sorry, I didn't know Ihad to live in either Dubai or North Korea. I must've been dreaming about the other 200 nations in between.

Sweet mother of jesus....

alonso

How about the Swiss?
Yeh. A normal, straight, non-corrupt financial system like the Swiss. A cultureless bank masquerading as a country.

You're grand, thanks.

aldiper

:confused:

Dunno what to make of that comment firefly.

I'm not a big fan of mob rule myself, but don't think my criticism of the rather un-justified influence of the PDs, given their circa 5% of the popular vote, counts as a criticism of democracy..rather it's a criticism of the daft structure of our parliament.

pragmaticapproach

Yeh. A normal, straight, non-corrupt financial system like the Swiss. A cultureless bank masquerading as a country.

You're grand, thanks.
An independent prosperous nation where people have local control without the hassle of having to deal with an intrusive national government or the supranational EU.

aldiper

You're grand, thanks.

A culture-less bank? Hmmm...ever been to the place, out of interest, or this that standard p.ie wind and piss?

alonso

Cities are places where capital, society and culture collide. Cities are marketplaces, for goods, for art, for people. They are the built manifestation of humanity. They need rich people, poor people, people from rural areas, people dragged up through inner city life, people from abroad and people of all ages. They need to have these elements live cheek by jowl, blocks of flats down the street from the theatre, addiction clinics down the block from the galleries. They are a collective, they are a community.

They are not merely economic objects.

alonso

An independent prosperous nation where people have local control without the hassle of having to deal with an intrusive national government or the supranational EU.
You can have it. You can have your little EURO ATM all you want.

alonso

A culture-less bank? Hmmm...ever been to the place, out of interest, or this that standard p.ie wind and piss?
Boring isn't it? Very boring. Tell me, list all the great music, literature, art and culture that the Swiss are responsible for.

I'll admit, it's a bit of wind and piss, but compared to the gargantuan guff spewed by yer man in the video, I can hold my head high.

Did you hear his comment that with India and China, 2 billion more people are becoming propserous to add to the 1 billion already prosperous?

Jaysus, mate, I don't know where to start

pragmaticapproach

Cities are places where capital, society and culture collide. Cities are marketplaces, for goods, for art, for people. They are the built manifestation of humanity. They need rich people, poor people, people from rural areas, people dragged up through inner city life, people from abroad and people of all ages. They need to have these elements live cheek by jowl, blocks of flats down the street from the theatre, addiction clinics down the block from the galleries. They are a collective, they are a community.

They are not merely economic objects.
How is a city that protects everyones private property rights and freedom of association a mere "economic object"? All these things you speak of (ie art galleries) can be voluntarily funded, as many where in the past before our modern quangocratic era.

alonso

How is a city that protects everyones private property rights and freedom of association a mere "economic object"? All these things you speak of (ie art galleries) can be voluntarily funded, as many where in the past before our modern quangocratic era.
But "Private City". Does that term not send shivers down your spine. What about common ground, public space?

Ever tried to take a photograph in Dublin's Docklands? Security men tell you not to. That's what this sounds like. A nightmare, an inhuman, Celebration Florida, nightmare.

(Do you include the Fire service, ambulances and road maintenace in your "voluntary funded"? scheme... where are the poor and who pays for them?)