• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Free Leonard Hardy!


DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
Can't believe no one has posted this yet.

Leonard Hardy was arrested by Spanish authorities on August 17, in connection with a mortar attack on a British Army base in Osnabruck in 1989. The German authorities are seeking his extradition. Had this man been convicted and sentenced to jail in the 6 counties for the offence, he would be out now under the GFA. You can read more here.
http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/10899

I urge anyone concerned about the case to email the Minister for Justice, An Taoiseach, your local TD or anyone who may be able to help stop his extradition and get him home safely.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
jjcarroll said:
DOD, he hasn't been convicted. I presume that if convictedn he can avail of the GFA and live safely in this country.
Well why pursue the case at all so? That's my hole point. Accept that the GFA is in place and let him free. He has travelled freely in his own name 22 times since his release from prison in 1994.
 

badinage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
776
DOD said:
jjcarroll said:
DOD, he hasn't been convicted. I presume that if convictedn he can avail of the GFA and live safely in this country.
Well why pursue the case at all so? .
because he'll have to serve two years of his sentence before being eligible for release under the GFA. I think.
 

Big Bruffer

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
24
Am I missing something here? The crime was committed on German soil.
Did Germany sign up to the GFA?

He has not been found guilty of anything as yet so let justice take its course.

I know it is tough on his partner Donna Maguire but I am sure things will work out just right in the end!
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
Big Bruffer said:
Am I missing something here? The crime was committed on German soil.
Did Germany sign up to the GFA?

He has not been found guilty of anything as yet so let justice take its course.

I know it is tough on his partner Donna Maguire but I am sure things will work out just right in the end!
the 'crime' as you call it was an attack on a British Army base in Germany, at a time when the IRA was at war with the British Army. Most other prisoners of that war have been let out of prison.
 

ON THE ONE ROAD

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
4,546
he's a hostage and no one blinks an eye but if republicians grab an ex brit you wouldn't here the end of it. and iam serious
 

Big Bruffer

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
24
The guy appears to be a suspect in a serious crime committed on German soil. I have no doubt that he will be given a fair trial - if the case goes that far. Therfore talking about prisoner of war is premature.
I dont know what passport he was travelling on ( seem to remember a little family difficulty on that one in the past) . But I am sure he will have access to full consular representation.
So chin up - innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff...
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
Big Bruffer said:
The guy appears to be a suspect in a serious crime committed on German soil. I have no doubt that he will be given a fair trial - if the case goes that far. Therfore talking about prisoner of war is premature.
I dont know what passport he was travelling on ( seem to remember a little family difficulty on that one in the past) . But I am sure he will have access to full consular representation.
So chin up - innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff...
The whole thing is, it is irrelevent whether he is innocent or guilty. This so called 'serious crime' was an attack on a British Army base at a time of war, and had he been convicted of it in the north, he would be out now. The German Authorities should be requested to withdraw the arrest warrant and drop the case in light of the Good Friday Agreement.
 

jjcarroll

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2003
Messages
314
Website
www.semper-idem.eu
DOD said:
Big Bruffer said:
The guy appears to be a suspect in a serious crime committed on German soil. I have no doubt that he will be given a fair trial - if the case goes that far. Therfore talking about prisoner of war is premature.
I dont know what passport he was travelling on ( seem to remember a little family difficulty on that one in the past) . But I am sure he will have access to full consular representation.
So chin up - innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff...
The whole thing is, it is irrelevent whether he is innocent or guilty. This so called 'serious crime' was an attack on a British Army base at a time of war, and had he been convicted of it in the north, he would be out now. The German Authorities should be requested to withdraw the arrest warrant and drop the case in light of the Good Friday Agreement.
Have you read the GFA?

In light of the GFA, they should pursue the prosecution, and then release him later on. That is what the GFA proscribes, not leaving people off scot free for their crimes. If he had been convicted of this crime in the north, he would have served time and then have been released. I am sure the German authorities will do the same.

Do you believe that all outstanding prosecutions in relation to the "war", to use you nomenkulture, shoul be dropped?
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
jjcarroll said:
Do you believe that all outstanding prosecutions in relation to the "war", to use you nomenkulture, shoul be dropped?
Absolutely. Loyalist and republican.
 

ON THE ONE ROAD

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
4,546
jjcarroll said:
DOD said:
jjcarroll said:
Do you believe that all outstanding prosecutions in relation to the "war", to use you nomenkulture, shoul be dropped?
Absolutely. Loyalist and republican.
Just prosecutions, or would you support dropping all investigations into the period as well?
think some sort of truth commision could be good for some people, personal view.
 

Bogwarrior

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
322
ON THE ONE ROAD said:
jjcarroll said:
DOD said:
jjcarroll said:
Do you believe that all outstanding prosecutions in relation to the "war", to use you nomenkulture, shoul be dropped?
Absolutely. Loyalist and republican.
Just prosecutions, or would you support dropping all investigations into the period as well?
think some sort of truth commision could be good for some people, personal view.
Yes. A truth commision. As the Saville Inquiry is ending, it' is crucial we keep millionaire barristers in work. Then we can all have a big group hug.
 

meriwether

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
12,604
A truth commission will involve Sinn Fein figures being brought in to be questioned about IRA atrocities. That will happen, whether or not they were responsible. Is that something people in the Republican community are comfortable with?
 

smiffy

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
1,279
Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
DOD said:
Leonard Hardy was arrested by Spanish authorities on August 17, in connection with a mortar attack on a British Army base in Osnabruck in 1989. The German authorities are seeking his extradition. Had this man been convicted and sentenced to jail in the 6 counties for the offence, he would be out now under the GFA.
Yes, and had he not done it at all, he wouldn't have been arrested in the first place. It's unfortunate for him that he committed the offence on German soil but as Germany isn't party to the Good Friday Agreement, there's no point citing that document in a call for his release.
 

badinage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
776
I take it the republican argument is that Germany should have been a party to the GFA, or at least the GFA should have included a provision for paramilitaries who committed their crimes outside of the Irish or UK legal jursdictions, and therefore we should act as if it did include such a provision. Even though it doesn't. Is that about right?
 

Vietato

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
36
DOD said:
Can't believe no one has posted this yet.

Leonard Hardy was arrested by Spanish authorities on August 17, in connection with a mortar attack on a British Army base in Osnabruck in 1989. The German authorities are seeking his extradition. Had this man been convicted and sentenced to jail in the 6 counties for the offence, he would be out now under the GFA. You can read more here.
http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/10899

I urge anyone concerned about the case to email the Minister for Justice, An Taoiseach, your local TD or anyone who may be able to help stop his extradition and get him home safely.
Adding insult to injury to the Germans here.
Firstly the IRA feel they have the right to wage war on German soil despite the fact that the IRA never formally declared war on Germany and now Sinn Fein object to the alleged war criminal being punished.
 
Top