Free Leonard Hardy!

DOD

smiffy said:
DOD said:
Leonard Hardy was arrested by Spanish authorities on August 17, in connection with a mortar attack on a British Army base in Osnabruck in 1989. The German authorities are seeking his extradition. Had this man been convicted and sentenced to jail in the 6 counties for the offence, he would be out now under the GFA.
Yes, and had he not done it at all, he wouldn't have been arrested in the first place. It's unfortunate for him that he committed the offence on German soil but as Germany isn't party to the Good Friday Agreement, there's no point citing that document in a call for his release.
The Irish government could call for his release, giving that as a reason. Germany will have no desire I'm sure to have diplomatic trouble with Ireland. (But of course our Government won't bother its hole)

But I do accept Germany isn't bound by the GFA per se. But it still totally changes the context of the case.

DOD

Vietato said:
DOD said:
Can't believe no one has posted this yet.

Leonard Hardy was arrested by Spanish authorities on August 17, in connection with a mortar attack on a British Army base in Osnabruck in 1989. The German authorities are seeking his extradition. Had this man been convicted and sentenced to jail in the 6 counties for the offence, he would be out now under the GFA. You can read more here.
http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/10899

I urge anyone concerned about the case to email the Minister for Justice, An Taoiseach, your local TD or anyone who may be able to help stop his extradition and get him home safely.
Adding insult to injury to the Germans here.
Firstly the IRA feel they have the right to wage war on German soil despite the fact that the IRA never formally declared war on Germany and now Sinn Fein object to the alleged war criminal being punished.
The attack was on a British Army base in Germany, it was not an attack on Germany.

edifice.

I think DOD missed an opportunity to say nothing. (You are buying the Sindo :lol: )

Vietato

DOD said:
The attack was on a British Army base in Germany, it was not an attack on Germany.
During the war, IRA forces had to occupy Geermany in order to carry out this attack. Zis vas against ze rules of var, ja?

badinage

DOD said:
are British Army bases in Germany sovereign UK territory?

DOD

edifice. said:
I think DOD missed an opportunity to say nothing. (You are buying the Sindo :lol: )
No I'm not. I read it online. If you must know, I buy the SBP, the IOS and the people.

DOD

badinage said:
DOD said:
Probably not, but it does not alter the fact that the action was in no way against the German State or people.

badinage

DOD said:
Probably not, but it does not alter the fact that the action was in no way against the German State or people.
Does that mean that Kenya should not seek the prosecution of the Al Qaeda bombers who killed over a hundred Kenyan citizens when they bombed the US embassy?

If you think Kenya should prosecute them, then are you saying that if a German citizen is killed by an IRA attack on a UK base in Germany (e.g. a civilian barman, or cleaner, employed by the MOD), that Germany should be allowed prosecute IRA members?

meriwether

DOD said:
badinage said:
DOD said:
As Id imagine, these mortars were placed on German territory, to land in British territory, i.e. the british bases. You could see where the germans might not be too happy about that.

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com
DOD said:

Leonard Hardy was arrested by Spanish authorities on August 17, in connection with a mortar attack on a British Army base in Osnabruck in 1989. The German authorities are seeking his extradition. Had this man been convicted and sentenced to jail in the 6 counties for the offence, he would be out now under the GFA. You can read more here.

I urge anyone concerned about the case to email the Minister for Justice, An Taoiseach, your local TD or anyone who may be able to help stop his extradition and get him home safely.
Do you honestly think that this man should be rewarded with compassion?

DOD

mjcoughlan said:
DOD said:

I think he should be free like the other combatants in the war.

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com
DOD said:
mjcoughlan said:
DOD said:

Well if this is what the GFA is actually about, is it any wonder why so many in NI have turned against it?

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
DOD said:
The problem here is that the Irish, British and German governments don't recognise IRA members who committed offences here or abroad as combatants in a war. The release of prisoners under the GFA was part of a political settlement, and was not a recognition of POW status (unless you can point me to the article in the Agreement that states otherwise). Therefore, unless you can come up with some other reason why he should be released which the German government should take seriously, your arguments aren't going to carry much weight.

If you genuinely believe that he should be treated like a POW, perhaps you might be better off referring the case to the International Committee of the Red Cross. However, if you went down the route of citing International Humanitarian Law, you might find the IRA on a very sticky wicket when it comes to the laws regarding the targeting of civilians.

candid

DOD said:
mjcoughlan said:
DOD said:

Combatant???? War?? The countless innocent victims of a campaign of cowardly terrorism would beg to differ with you.

I hope this person is exposed to the full rigours of German law and, if proven guilty, gets to spend a very long time in prison. And yes I will email the Minister for Justice and ask him to do his utmost to ensure that Mr. Hardy is left in Germany where he belongs.

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com
candid said:
Combatant???? War?? The countless innocent victims of a campaign of cowardly terrorism would beg to differ with you.

I hope this person is exposed to the full rigours of German law and, if proven guilty, gets to spend a very long time in prison. And yes I will email the Minister for Justice and ask him to do his utmost to ensure that Mr. Hardy is left in Germany where he belongs.
Hear hear!

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
candid said:
And yes I will email the Minister for Justice and ask him to do his utmost to ensure that Mr. Hardy is left in Germany where he belongs.
That's just as daft as DOD's suggestion. The only involvement the Irish state should have in this case is the normal consular support given to Irish citizens accused of crimes overseas.

SPN

Free Leonard Hardy with every two packets of Walker's Crisps!

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)

:twisted:

edifice.

DOD said:
edifice. said:
No I'm not. I read it online. If you must know, I buy the SBP, the IOS and the people.
And that's where you should have left it.

Big Bruffer

I strongly believe in the presumption of innocence. I mean why would he holiday on the continent otherwise. Surely he would not be that silly?
So let the rule of law take its course.
Secondly there is a 'proud' history of collaboration between the IRA and Germany in relation to the war against the British. They bravely helped Hitler during World War 11 with Frank Ryan leading the charge.

mbari hogun

Since when do the Germans care so much about prosecuting crimes committed long in the past? They didn't bother applying that standard to many of West Germany's ex-Nazi leading lights, and let off most members of the East German government as well.

Anyhow, if they don't let Hardy go, he should just make his way to Ireland once he's granted bail.

Top Bottom