Free masks would sharply reduce Covid-19 viral transmission risks on public transport after lockdowns end

Patslatt1

The inflexibility of unions is what kills jobs and business activity. I have seen it first hand and I'm not the only one. I deal with unions and their entitled attitude, up close and personal. I also know people who have suffered job losses as a direct result of the codology of unions. Coca Cola pulled out of Drogheda as a direct result of union bolloxology.
Increased competition in the EU's single market quickly exposes unrealistic trade union demands and threatens the jobs of such union members in the private sector. That should have put a stop to such demands by now. But even back in the 1970s, Limerick's economy suffered a devastating blow when a big manufacturer Ferenka closed down thanks to rivalry bteween two trade unions.

toughbutfair

Healthy people should not be on public transport until there’s a vaccine. It should be for the old, the pregnant and certain medical conditions. We should be cycling. The weak and lazy slaughtered me for saying that recently, however we should embrace strength and not give in to the weak minded.

Watcher2

Increased competition in the EU's single market quickly exposes unrealistic trade union demands and threatens the jobs of such union members in the private sector. That should have put a stop to such demands by now. But even back in the 1970s, Limerick's economy suffered a devastating blow when a big manufacturer Ferenka closed down thanks to rivalry bteween two trade unions.
They even fight among themselves when there are more than one union in the same companies. They attempt to carve up the jobs among themselves and attempt to protect new jobs and promotions within their own little cabals. Its not about the best person for the jobs, its about the best jobs for the boys/girls.

Surkov

Free masks is a good idea, but I doubt many would wear them consistently. The novelty would soon wear off especially for the daily commuter; starting with a few rebels, as per usual.

Are masks an adequate substitute for social distancing? Maybe, but are we sure? Where's the comparative evidence?

Perhaps a more grounded solution would be:

Increase capacity by increasing the number of carriages/buses/trams (cost subsidised by the state).

Uganda

Free masks is a good idea, but I doubt many would wear them consistently. The novelty would soon wear off especially for the daily commuter; starting with a few rebels, as per usual.

Are masks an adequate substitute for social distancing? Maybe, but are we sure? Where's the comparative evidence?

Perhaps a more grounded solution would be:

Increase capacity by increasing the number of carriages/buses/trams (cost subsidised by the state).
Increasing capacity isnt something one can do quickly. But as there will be many unemployed for the foreseeable, there wont be the same demand so crowding will be less. And employers will probably do staggered hours (where possible) which would help.

And another thing that would help would be to restrict the use of free travel passes so they couldn’t be used between 7.00 am and 9.00am (and equivalent in the evening). This would free up space at rush hours from pensioners.

Surkov

Increasing capacity isnt something one can do quickly. But as there will be many unemployed for the foreseeable, there wont be the same demand so crowding will be less. And employers will probably do staggered hours (where possible) which would help.

And another thing that would help would be to restrict the use of free travel passes so they couldn’t be used between 7.00 am and 9.00am (and equivalent in the evening). This would free up space at rush hours from pensioners.
What if a pensioner has a morning medical appointment? Do you really want to put further pressure on the health service by causing even more rescheduling? Besides, I rather think about 80%+ of pensioners will be cocooning, or minimizing their travels, anyway. So this isn't really the group to focus on.

As for staggered hours, this will disrupt the $$$ business world, and would be logistically very demanding. Who decides the timetable? And who benefits or loses financially? A bit of a nightmare to work out, frankly.

The solution is both simple and obvious, albeit costly: lay on extra carriages/buses/trams and the state must finance it. Who else will?

Uganda

What if a pensioner has a morning medical appointment? Do you really want to put further pressure on the health service by causing even more rescheduling? Besides, I rather think about 80%+ of pensioners will be cocooning, or minimizing their travels, anyway. So this isn't really the group to focus on.

As for staggered hours, this will disrupt the $$$ business world, and would be logistically very demanding. Who decides the timetable? And who benefits or loses financially? A bit of a nightmare to work out, frankly.

The solution is both simple and obvious, albeit costly: lay on extra carriages/buses/trams and the state must finance it. Who else will?
And just how long do you think it would take to say, double the number of buses/trams & trains? Like next Wednesday?

And there is no problem with the pensioners. SImply get the health system to schedule their appointments from say 9.00am on. It’s not rocket science.

And they managed perfectly well up to relatively recently when they were restricted from using the passes in rush hour.

But I imagine most of the outcry will come from pensioners going to and from new jobs they now have. The tiny minority going to medical appts will be used as the front.

Last edited:

making waves

And just how long do you think it would take to say, double the number of buses/trams & trains? Like next Wednesday?
Yes - private bus companies taken into public ownership would dramatically increase the number of buses available for public transport - most of them are currently sitting idle with their drivers out of a job and the employers taking corporate welfare from the government.

Uganda

Yes - private bus companies taken into public ownership would dramatically increase the number of buses available for public transport - most of them are currently sitting idle with their drivers out of a job and the employers taking corporate welfare from the government.
by taken into public ownership you mean confiscation of peoples property?

making waves

by taken into public ownership you mean confiscation of peoples property?
Yes - I mean confiscate the buses - they are sitting idle with their drivers out of work - they would double the bus fleet in every urban area overnight.

Right-wing hacks constantly decry calls for public ownership - yet gleefully support spending tens of billions in bailing out the gambling debts of the elites and in providing billions corporate welfare to the private sector in this country every year.

Patslatt1

SHIFTS 7am to 3pm, 11am to 7pm and shifts in between wouldn't be difficult. The boss starting at 7am would still meet the 11am employee between 11am and 3pm.

Patslatt1

Yes - I mean confiscate the buses - they are sitting idle with their drivers out of work - they would double the bus fleet in every urban area overnight.

Right-wing hacks constantly decry calls for public ownership - yet gleefully support spending tens of billions in bailing out the gambling debts of the elites and in providing billions corporate welfare to the private sector in this country every year.
The billions in so called welfare are legitimate tax deductions for expenses. There are high risk tax deductions for movies but even Michael Caine thinks they are too risky. High risk deductions for venture capital are also long shot horses. The generous deductions for property are mostly gone except for an inhouse tenant tax break and homeless accomodation. Do you want to house the homeless given your Trot politics?

Uganda

why not confiscate other things - likehouses and cars? And anything anyone may have in bank accounts

making waves

The billions in so called welfare are legitimate tax deductions for expenses. There are high risk tax deductions for movies but even Michael Caine thinks they are too risky. High risk deductions for venture capital are also long shot horses. The generous deductions for property are mostly gone except for an inhouse tenant tax break and homeless accomodation. Do you want to house the homeless given your Trot politics?
Corporate welfare - pure and simple - massive subsidies, tax breaks and under-righting of business interests. Businesses get to write off countless 'expenses' against profits - workers with work expenses get to write off nothing - one law for the rich and a different law for everyone else.

As for housing the homeless - the market has utterly failed.

making waves

why not confiscate other things - likehouses and cars? And anything anyone may have in bank accounts
Yes the hedge fund landlords should have their rental properties brought into public ownership to deal with the huge crisis of rents in the rental sector - and how many cars does an individual really need.

As for bank accounts - I would start with that escrow account that contains €13billion in unpaid tax from Apple.

Baron von Biffo

Corporate welfare - pure and simple - massive subsidies, tax breaks and under-righting of business interests. Businesses get to write off countless 'expenses' against profits - workers with work expenses get to write off nothing - one law for the rich and a different law for everyone else.

As for housing the homeless - the market has utterly failed.
That's simply not true.

Patslatt1

All sing along now:
We'll nationalise the women and give every man his chance
when the Red Revolution comes!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom