Free Phoenix Magazine.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
A free copy of the Phoenix magazine was posted through out letter box inside a copy of a free newspaper.

There's an interesting article about Harry Crosbie and the objections raised to his Sunday market in front of the 02 Theatre.

Harry is a big Elvis Presley fan and we exchanged some funny email which lead to a full page article in the Evening Herald some years ago. Which subsequently lead to an article in the Memphis Flyer magazine of Memphis, Tennesseee USA.

The Phoenix magazine usually costs 2,65 euros. Why is it being given away free. Is it in trouble? Or successful enough to carry the loss.

This copy of the Phoenix I have to read, may not rise from the ashes, but it will certainly produce some.

stripey cat

There should be some variant of Godwin's Law relating to Elvis. How long do you think you could post on a subject before you made a reference to the King?

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
There should be some variant of Godwin's Law relating to Elvis. How long do you think you could post on a subject before you made a reference to the King?
You got me!

But would you believe between the years 1977 to 1997 the King hardly ever came up in my conversations.

Then Pat Kenny took up a little story I had about Elvis and the feckin stuff took on a life of it's own. Once it was running I kept it fed and here we are.

Me a huge Ludwig Van Beethoven fan and you a complete stranger engaged in the subject.

You could have ignored the Elvis stuff and concentrated on the Phoenix stuff, but no you didn't. Why?

stoichkov

because all your posts are stuffed full of elvis-related codswallop to the point of total distraction.

seriously, if you want other people to read what you post here, please give it a rest.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
because all your posts are stuffed full of elvis-related codswallop to the point of total distraction.

seriously, if you want other people to read what you post here, please give it a rest.
Thank you for reading all my posts.

Yet you failed to mention how often I mention the great ludwig Van Beethoven's wonderful music?

From experience on many forums over a decade I have learnt a certain name attracts a great deal of attention. Positive, and negative.

realistic1

A free copy of the Phoenix magazine was posted through out letter box inside a copy of a free newspaper.

There's an interesting article about Harry Crosbie and the objections raised to his Sunday market in front of the 02 Theatre.

Harry is a big Elvis Presley fan and we exchanged some funny email which lead to a full page article in the Evening Herald some years ago. Which subsequently lead to an article in the Memphis Flyer magazine of Memphis, Tennesseee USA.

The Phoenix magazine usually costs 2,65 euros. Why is it being given away free. Is it in trouble? Or successful enough to carry the loss.

This copy of the Phoenix I have to read, may not rise from the ashes, but it will certainly produce some.
Hopefully its ok because it is one of the only sources of truth in the country.

Goodbody

I'm a regular buyer of the Phoenix. Its editorial line is way to the left of me, but nonetheless it is a good source of information. I do wonder how they manage to stay afloat given the crucifying libel laws in this country.

White Rose

It must be in trouble. I buy it from time to time but its slavish devotion to the republican line is off putting

realistic1

Sorry, reword that- the Sinn Fein line
So it doesnt demonise Sinn Fein as much as other media publications, is that your issue? To me this publications has a go at all political parties. Section 31 has done a good job on you :)

Murph

What you really mean White Horse is that it hasnt a slavish devotion to the Labour Party line.

Its true that it has a whack off every party - just wait and see how it will have a go off Adams latest move in the next edition.

Maybe you are peed off that it stated that SF had outflanked Gilmore in the last edition. I would be peed off with that too but I wouldnt be so stupid to say its slavish to the shinners -you obviously dont read it that regularly!

LowIQ

It must be in trouble. I buy it from time to time but its slavish devotion to the republican line is off putting
Obviously you don't read it.

Panopticon

I read it but I won't buy it. I appreciate the information, but I don't want to fund a publication that seems genuinely anti-Semitic and anti-British.

Goodbody

I read it but I won't buy it. I appreciate the information, but I don't want to fund a publication that seems genuinely anti-Semitic and anti-British.
True, but much of the content on this site is also anti-Semitic. Sometimes the search for information involves a requirement to hold one's nose.

realistic1

How is it anti-Semitic and anti-British. The only anti-British stance i notice is when they make fun of Irish Citizens who take titles from the UK Queen, Hardly Anti-British.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
They are excellent reasons for subscribing. Most of the world is anti-British, and 'labled' anti-Semetic.

Isn't that right my yiddisher beauty?

(Ouch! She reads over my shoulder)

mr_anderson

Along with Private Eye, I've been a buyer/reader of The Phoenix for the past 15-20 years or so.

Generally I've found it's content and quality to have slipped over the past few years, but it is still reasonable on political gossip and regularly reports on stories long before the dailies come around to printing it.

The 'funnies' are distinctly unfunny.
Not that I don't get the jokes, but they seem old and tired.
I'm not a writer, so when I see something I could have done better myself it's not a good sign.
Luckily I don't but it for this reason.

The very green 'anti-brit' tone can be a bit OTT, but taken with a pinch of salt, can be overcome.

They missed the extent to which the property bubble was going to burst, but the business analysis can still be a good read.

I've had a few free newspapers popped in my letterbox over the past year.
Seems to be a concerted marketing drive.
Perhaps The Phoenix is simply trying to boost sales in this manner.
Hope it is not in trouble, as it serves a purpose.

stoichkov

i still buy it. most weeks there is plenty of reading in it.

but the humour section is pretty dire.

didn't know until recently that its owner is the father of fianna fail infantryman michael mulcahy.

needle_too

didn't know until recently that its owner is the father of fianna fail infantryman michael mulcahy.
Which is why it was mute on the many, many failings of said party over the last few years. Additionally, it failed singularly to point out anything about the instability of the economy in the same period.

Its like a school newspaper, full of jibes about other journos and a very rubbish funnies section. Of course they wont listen to any criticism because they have an agenda to adhere to.

Hopefully, it'll be gone soon.

New Threads

Most Replies