Free public transport in Luxembourg city...

fat finger

The city of Edinburgh has the same fare for every journey, doesn't matter how long or short, any journey within the city limits costs the same, last time there it was 1.50 pounds, might have gone up since then, but anyway, wherever you go by bus it's the same price. This could never work in Ireland's cities because of the way the banks have carefully nurtured certain areas over others to create a property valuation hierarchy, introducing single fare or free public transport would wreck property valuations for tens of thousands of homeowners, ergo it will never get introduced here, never, despite all the good arguments for doing so already pointed out above.

CatullusV

I had my first experience of the new policy this week. I caught a bus and approached the driver with my €2 coin. "Oof, ça m'enérve. Rendez pas ma vie plus dûr.", he huffed, as he issued a ticket. " Bloody hell, don't make my life difficult." Was the gist. It seems that not only have passengers decided that free travel has come in ahead of the March 1st deadline, but the drivers have as well!

CatullusV

It effectively came into effect today. I was wrong about it. It extends to *all* public transport in the country. All.

brughahaha

So can anyone tell me what distance a Dublin Bus stage is ?

brughahaha

It varies as to how drunk you are walking from one to another ?
yeah , i thought it was the point at which DB need to change horses

brughahaha

Maybe you should address that question to DB. I'm just suggesting.

More making a point how antiquated , user unfriendly , unnecessarily complex and slow to change our Public Transport system is ......

Havent even managed to develop a zone system and still using an unfathomable system that was in use since the 1970s at least.

Watcher2

Public transport in Ireland is horrible. There are horrible people on public transport here not to mention the smelly, "damp dog" stink you encounter on public transport when the weather is wet....which is not seldom. It is extremely unreliable too despite the fake stats the likes of Irish Rail produce.

CatullusV

Well, it was quite interesting to avail of it today. Also, I was mistaken in one sense in my OP. The free and gratis policy applies to *all* public transport in Luxembourg - not simply the city. If you want a first class seat on a train you'll have to cough up for that, but otherwise it is now all free.

Happy days!

fat finger

If it was free and warm Rough sleepers could get a decent place to rest. They would do that in Dublin if travel was free.
And you could sink a pint of Harp...if you had a pint of Harp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies