Freelance Journalism Payscale

Wigmore

I wonder if any of the contributors can help with a small question. After years of trying one of the national broadsheets has taken a piece from me 800 words, health and lifestyle, should be in next weekend.

Does anybody more experienced than I have any guidance what I should or will be paid for this (if anything at all!)

PeaceGoalie

I wonder if any of the contributors can help with a small question. After years of trying one of the national broadsheets has taken a piece from me 800 words, health and lifestyle, should be in next weekend.

Does anybody more experienced than I have any guidance what I should or will be paid for this (if anything at all!)
They have a fixed rate but you'll probably have to chase them up for it (after a suitable break). Phone up the NUJ after it is published.

Polly Ticks

I don't know what the exact rates are these days, but something to bear in mind in future, before you accept any commissions is to negotiate the price. They'll respect you more for it (plus it gives you an opportunity to haggle).

Without knowing what the rates are, I know that you are competing against people that would write stories for free (to push an agenda, demonstrate their expertise, or simply to see their name in print) so that drives rates down. I would be surprised if you received more than EUR300 for an 800 word piece.

Remember, with the exception of a tiny number of elite journalists/writers/commentators the media industry thrives on cheap/free labour.

If you want to combat that culture, always make your payment an issue right at the beginning, not after you've finished a piece.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Mad as Fish

I don't know what the rates are, but something to bear in mind in future, before you accept any commissions is to negotiate the price. They'll respect you more for it (plus it gives you an opportunity to haggle).

Without knowing what the rates are, I know that you are competing against people that would write stories for free (to push an agenda, demonstrate their expertise, or simply to see their name in print) so that drives rates down.

Remember, with the exception of a tiny number of elite journalists/writers/commentators the media industry thrives on cheap/free labour.

If you want to combat that culture, always make your payment an issue right at the beginning, not after you've finished a piece.

Best of luck!
Quite so, and it's worth remembering that a lot of what you read has been placed by interested parties, the web is worse, but only just.

ShoutingIsLeadership

If it's the Independent, expect to be told that you're lucky to be getting any work, and if you think that you can get published elsewhere, go ahead.

Congalltee

Dog eat dog.
Journalist stupidly give away their product - news and opinions - for free on Twitter, to increase their profiles so they can command higher fees. The result is those just beginning don't get paid much - if at all.

Fritzbox

I believe it's almost impossible to earn a living in journalism nowadays. Too many people with their own blogs etc, giving it their 10 cents worth.

Last edited:

firefly123

Congrats by the way. Hope it works out for ya!

Bea C

The Guardian has reported with gusto the horrors of the conditions in sports direct, the zero hours contracts the employees were suffocated by.
The editorial patted itself on the back with gusto in recent times for the role it reckons it played in the whole expose.
Private Eye wrote in the last issue about how the lower ranks of journalist in the paper now (making up the bulk, at this stage, everyone else has been sacked) are on worse contracts than the staff they were reporting on.

Lúidín

I would be surprised if you received more than EUR300 for an 800 word piece.
I think you meant €30.

Newspapers are written by a closely knit and closely connected family of contributors and friends. Opinions must conform to policy, which is determined by the editor and the owner and enforced by the underlings down along the line who are jockeying for position. The rare alternative view is tolerated only to give a veneer of objectivity.

As the op is writing about 'health and lifestyle' we can safely assume that it has nothing original in it.

firefly123

Jaysus lads
Take the cynical hat off for a minute and say well done. It might work out or it might not but Wigmore is getting published. Wish them well.

Then crush his dreams like an ant underfoot.

Polly Ticks

I think you meant €30.

As the op is writing about 'health and lifestyle' we can safely assume that it has nothing original in it.
Jayzus, if true, that's low. It's not that low, is it? No Irish journalists willing to spill the beans on the going rate for 800 words?

The low pay also changes the demographic of journalists.. it becomes a luxury profession.. an expensive, time-consuming hobby. This impacts on who gets to become a journalist in the first place. This is a problem across all media.

Bit harsh about the health & lifestyle.. it's not my handbag, but there's room for all sorts and good luck to the OP... who is probably mad to embark upon such a lunatic project. :D

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The tabloidy papers pay better

Advise is just to make sure you get paid a sum - keep quiet about the sum - and claim it as paid work on your portfolio

cyp

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I agreed a price some years back for a piece I wrote with an Irish newspaper, sent an invoice, sent a copy invoice and in the end gave up because chasing them would have cost me more than the original invoice amount.

I suspect things are pretty bad with Irish newspapers in general and they will surf off freelancers for nothing if they can.

I did a year or two of researching and writing articles and had no problem placing stuff but enormous problems with having stuff ripped off by editors and enormous issues getting paid.

Unless you are in the NUJ and connected with a friendly editor I'd consider it a hobby as you'd starve if you were trying to make an income out of it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Come to think of it I had a request for an interview with a well known business journalist some years back when I was doing a bit of digging on an interesting seam in Irish public life.

I hummed and hawed about it as she was a fairly good journo in my opinion but in the end decided not to do it.

Couple of months later I saw she had taken the shilling and was appointed an 'advisor' to a Minister. Which put her under 'non-disclosure' agreements and finished her as a journo in my opinion.

I'm glad now I didn't give her an interview or any info on how I was getting the info she was interested in.

Mad as Fish

Jayzus, if true, that's low. It's not that low, is it? No Irish journalists willing to spill the beans on the going rate for 800 words?

The low pay also changes the demographic of journalists.. it becomes a luxury profession.. an expensive, time-consuming hobby. This impacts on who gets to become a journalist in the first place. This is a problem across all media.

Bit harsh about the health & lifestyle.. it's not my handbag, but there's room for all sorts and good luck to the OP... who is probably mad to embark upon such a lunatic project. :D
I knew of one magazine owner who was offering €10 per 1,000 words, I kid you not. On the web there are sites where you can bid for writing jobs and you get lads from India or the Philippines trying to earn a few bob extra who'd jump at that sort of money.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Well done, Wigmore! It's a good feeling, isn't it. Follow it up whatever you do!

Trainwreck

I hope for your sake they have good sub-eds.

Mad as Fish

Come to think of it I had a request for an interview with a well known business journalist some years back when I was doing a bit of digging on an interesting seam in Irish public life.

I hummed and hawed about it as she was a fairly good journo in my opinion but in the end decided not to do it.

Couple of months later I saw she had taken the shilling and was appointed an 'advisor' to a Minister. Which put her under 'non-disclosure' agreements and finished her as a journo in my opinion.

I'm glad now I didn't give her an interview or any info on how I was getting the info she was interested in.
In a similar vein I did some photography for an engineering company, they used a few and paid me the dues, but ever since I have noticed their images look a lot like the sort of photos I would take, in fact some are blatant copies but taken on their own camera.

Well OK its not that similar but you have to be careful about what might be motivating some people.

New Threads

Most Replies