Freemasons

former wesleyan

Wasn't 2006 an innocent place ?

eyelight

Freemasons only shake with there left hand. I bet ye didn't know that.

SO THERE. :x
Don't think that's true. Your thinking of the boy scouts.
Freemasons shake hands normally but use the thumb to press on the other mason's knuckles in a certain way. Can't remember exactly but saw it illustrated in a book years ago.

There y'are now.

Last edited:

johnfás

Cruimh said:
Incompatible with membership of the Roman Catholic Church.
I'm aware with that and I'm not a catholic so not sure why youre raising that. Also incompatible with the COI but doesn't stop a large number of the clergy joining. Alot in rural Ireland join as an insurance policy as theyll look after the kids if the father dies. The bewleys hotel in ballsbridge was a Masonic school until the 80s. Still has all the architectural features.

O'Sullivan Bere

Because, for that reason, in Catholic Ireland they never had many members although they were a useful bogeyman.
Freemasonry has been a useful bogeyman for all sorts of religious and political movements. It's condemned by many Protestant creed churches and independent Evangelical ones.

O'Sullivan Bere

I enjoy reading stuff about Freemasons/Illuminati until they mention 'Satan'. Fruitcakes.
Ugh...try being a Master Mason and having Evangelical relatives preach that 'Satan' crap at you about being a Mason and pretty much everything else you do that's not 'Born Again fundie'...:rolleyes:....at least my Catholic ones leave me alone about it for the most part.

zavi13

Did any of you know that America, the Great Republic was founded by Freemasons. George Washington and several others who signed the delaration of Independence were Freemasons.

That's why freemasonic symbols appear on the one dollar Bill.

Since Wolfe Tone was so intrigued by America and France at the time, I wonder was he a freemason???
It wouldn't surprise me, most 18th century republicans (of all nationalities) were!

O'Sullivan Bere

Many exemplary Irishmen were Free Masons. Henry Joy McCracken, the Sheares Brothers, The Emmet brothers. As to Tone, I strongly suspect he was, but I don't know.
Dan O'Connell was a Mason also, though he left it when the Catholic Church took a hard line against membership. Prior to that it was quite common to be a Mason and a Catholic, indeed at one time there was a lodge in Paris made up of Irish priests.
I suspect the role of Masonry in the '98 Rebellion deserves study, since you had Masons prominent on either side.
GD
Absolutely it did. The UI movement was heavily grounded in the principles of Freemasonry as was the American Revolution and other movements seeking freedom of worship, Enlightened ideas, democracy, etc. IMO it's a huge reason why churches and autocratic regimes have generally opposed it...they see it as a threat to their power agendas. It was right there in the UI plank: "1)That the weight of English influence in the Government of this country is so great as to require a cordial union among all the people of Ireland, to maintain that balance which is essential to the preservation of our liberties and the extension of our commerce; 2) That the sole constitutional mode by which this influence can be opposed is by a complete and radical reform of the people in Parliament, and 3) That no reform is just which does not include Irishmen of every religious persuasion". United Irishmen for the rights and liberties of Irishmen regardless of creed, power agendas, etc? Whammo....even the churches allied against that with the Crown under the 'enemy of my enemy is my (temporary) friend' cliche. Freemasonry was the movement that allied the Irish people for the sake of the Irish people, and that made it their collective enemy for their own interests ('divide and conquer' crap, etc).

Last edited:

O'Sullivan Bere

It wouldn't surprise me, most 18th century republicans (of all nationalities) were!
Tone was not a Freemason, or at least there's no record of him being so. However most of his compatriots were and he followed the ideals of its influences from his circle. Many therefore see him as an unofficial 'Masonic' non-Mason. It's likely just an issue of him never having formally joined given his circumstances and especially being on the run so much.

DiarmuidM

[video=youtube_share;MmLoKsvhfe0]http://youtu.be/MmLoKsvhfe0[/video]

Last edited:

southwestkerry

Would loov to join but heck cant find the reception desk anywhere. :(

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I prefer their remixes to their original material.
[video=youtube;WiIF_2sAQXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiIF_2sAQXY[/video]

eoghanacht

Bono, the fremason?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies