Freemasons

EUrJokingMeRight

Would loov to join but heck cant find the reception desk anywhere. :(
[video=youtube;G7atizv6s5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7atizv6s5o[/video]

I found the receptionist! Unfortunately she says we're uninvited. She doesn't half go on a bit though. 8 minutes! Jaysus, the first 2.00 minutes sounded like boom tiss, boom tiss, boom tiss. Awful stuff. No mention of supreme beings either?!

cropbeye

There a jobs for the boys clique

They all have pots of money

Man or Mouse

There a jobs for the boys clique

They all have pots of money
Yea on one, not so sure about the other. Knew one that fell foul of the IRS and boy, did his erstwhile friends desert him? Which reminds me, the man in the car, John Connolly, didn't poll too well when he went for what he thought to be the masonic vote.

TiredOfBeingTired

Would loov to join but heck cant find the reception desk anywhere. :(
They had to close the South Kerry Branch.
It was deshperate - Jackie Healy Rae, Pat Spillane, John O Donoghue (without Kate Ann) and Joe Higgins couldn't decide who would be Grand Wizard.
The row went on for 17 hours and in the end the guards had to be called.
They disbanded after that.

How to recognise a Mason, Monty Python style:
How to Recognize a Mason - YouTube

Padraigin

Did any of you know that America, the Great Republic was founded by Freemasons. George Washington and several others who signed the delaration of Independence were Freemasons.

That's why freemasonic symbols appear on the one dollar Bill.

Since Wolfe Tone was so intrigued by America and France at the time, I wonder was he a freemason???

My grandfather, a Catholic, was a high level Scottish Rite Mason. There were quite a few fellow Catholic Masons in his lodge. At his funeral, after the priest left, the Masons performed their funeral rites as well. They are arguably heretics from a Catholic doctrinal view, but the reality is that many practicing Catholics are also serious Masons. Sometimes their priests know and turn a blind eye, and sometimes their priests do not know. Masonry encourages its members to actively worship in their own churches; it is the churches that have a problem with Masonry.

The thing is this: The name "mason" comes from the goal of striving to build the City of God, an Augustinian concept. The Masons require a belief in God as a fundamental requirement for membership. However, they are otherwise non-denominational. The fact that a lot of United Irishmen in the 1790s - both Catholics and Protestants - were Masons is no accident of history. A lot of Christians from different traditions find common ground in Masonry.

...but, objectively speaking, it is still a heresy because the Masons too have their beliefs.

Last edited:

Seanie Lemass

The Freemasons were mentioned in the 1921 Treaty as far as I can recall. They were made exempt from any legal ban on secret socieities!

They were a serious force in the early days of the state and their membership increased as members of the old elite used it to protect their position.

There was a corresponding anti Masonic sentiment that ranged from the Communist Party to anti Semities. FF 1932 election campaign had a lot of anti Masonic propaganda aimed at the banks and the Brit holdovers in the administration.

former wesleyan

Well he would, wouldn't he .

eoghanacht

The way i look at it masonry is like the RCC in that it's a tool of the devil.

By that i mean if you believe all that stuff.

Think about it if you were the devil hell bent on the destructio of man name two organisations perfectly placed to do just that!

Not that i belive that crap, it's just that the RC's and Masons do.

Whats a brother to do?

Last edited:

Roisin3

Absolutely it did. The UI movement was heavily grounded in the principles of Freemasonry as was the American Revolution and other movements seeking freedom of worship, Enlightened ideas, democracy, etc. IMO it's a huge reason why churches and autocratic regimes have generally opposed it...they see it as a threat to their power agendas. It was right there in the UI plank: "1)That the weight of English influence in the Government of this country is so great as to require a cordial union among all the people of Ireland, to maintain that balance which is essential to the preservation of our liberties and the extension of our commerce; 2) That the sole constitutional mode by which this influence can be opposed is by a complete and radical reform of the people in Parliament, and 3) That no reform is just which does not include Irishmen of every religious persuasion". United Irishmen for the rights and liberties of Irishmen regardless of creed, power agendas, etc? Whammo....even the churches allied against that with the Crown under the 'enemy of my enemy is my (temporary) friend' cliche. Freemasonry was the movement that allied the Irish people for the sake of the Irish people, and that made it their collective enemy for their own interests ('divide and conquer' crap, etc).
How does that fit in with them establishing the Orange Institution?

O'Sullivan Bere

How does that fit in with them establishing the Orange Institution?
The Masons did not found the OO and have no connection with it. In fact, part of the reason the OO was founded was because Freemasonry would not support its objectives.

At the time when the OO was founded, Masonic Lodges to the north and south of today's NI border area generally supported the Parliamentary reforms advocated by the fledgling United Irishmen movement at that time. The exception was today's 'Bandit Country' of South Armagh and other border areas that were just as much in sectarian strife then as in recent times of the Troubles and even worse so. There, Protestants, including some who were Freemasons, objected to that position and advocated loyalty to the Crown and did not like the fact of seeing such reforms advocated by Belfast, Ards and north Antrim lodges and Masonic lodges to the south, objected to including Catholics in Masonry, etc. They also objected to heavy United Irishmen presence and influence in the Masons. As the spy/informer John Henry Smith informed the British government: "There's scarcely a United Irishman who is not a Mason, nor a Mason who is not both". They also sought support of the Masons for the Protestant side of the sectarian strife occurring in these regions, particularly concerning that between the Peep o' Day Boys and the Defenders. One of the main founders of the OO, James Wilson, after an incident in Benburb, was a Freemason and he sought formal Mason support for the Protestant position against the local Catholics. The Masons refused to do so as that is against Masonic principles. That objection plus these other objections led to the founding of the OO as an independent and separate organisation based on ideals they preferred. As Wilson said, "he would light a star ... which would eclipse them forever" and with Winter and Sloan and followers founded the OO.

Some organisational ideals they liked in Freemasonry were adopted as being fitting or useful for what they wanted the OO to be, but it's not a Masonic organisation. In fact, its membership rules and objectives are antithetical to Masonry, e.g., religiously sectarian in nature, and hence why it came into its own separate and unaffiliated existence. Borrowing organisational and/or some ideas of Masonry by other community organisations is fairly common given the age and influence of the society. That's pretty common with any idea or organisational model of any origin that one likes for a certain new and different purpose. People see things they like and adopt them for their own uses...nothing new there in human interaction. Sometimes even a Mason can help form another organisation and use some aspects or influences they like about the Masons for that separate purpose. The OO did that with its founders. Even recent organisations like Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12 Step Programmes with its Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions use some organisational and ideological influences of it (co founder Dr Bob Smith was a Mason). The founder of the Mormon Church, Joseph Smith, was a Mason and he used certain Masonic organisational and symbolic aspects that he found useful for forming the themes and formats of that religion. That people do these things doesn't make such independent organisations Masonic, though, or done as a Masonic endorsed act. They're simply independent acts done coincidentally by a Mason on their accords. They have their own particular purposes and agendas, and Masonry has its own ideals, rules and purposes as others have theirs. If a Mason founded Manchester United and maybe used an ideal or two in the corporate structure he found useful, it doesn't make Manchester United a Masonic organisation or Mason endorsed or Masonic founded, etc.

Last edited:

Mossy Heneberry

The way i look at it masonry is like the RCC in that it's a tool of the devil.

By that i mean if you believe all that stuff.

Think about it if you were the devil hell bent on the destructio of man name two organisations perfectly placed to do just that!

Not that i belive that crap, it's just that the RC's and Masons do.

Whats a brother to do?
The greatest threat to us is the state.

Statism and its supporters have a lot to answer for.

Edo

Is there many members in Ireland? Who are these people? And what are they up to?
Normal people like you and me mostly

Im a member - I was asked to join a couple of years ago - was nominated and seconded in - its no big deal.

After that -Im saying nada - if you want to know more - get invited and join!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies