• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

French Assembly Election

Mrwoody

Leo will be his best friend always ringing Macron and having dinner dated asking him how exactly did he do it and get such a land slide.

GDPR

Well, well, well, looks like the Illuminati have their man. *Cue frothing outrage from far right on Pie.*

Well, well, well, looks like the Illuminati have their man. *Cue frothing outrage from far right on Pie.*
The new script runs thus: oh, the traditional parties weren't playing ball, so the BuilderBurgers installed a new man. That, of course, ignores their claims that previous instalees were BildenBurgems.

His wife *does* look older than him, though. Let's focus on that, eh?

GDPR

The French are thinking hopefully. And I hope Macron will not disappoint them. That will be a real change in political outcomes.

And Mme Macron is ok

GDPR

That is a good result. Am I right in saying that the FN has also only marginally improved upon its performance in percentage terms compared to the first round of the previous legislative elections?

petaljam

Wasn't that expected, though?
See, I said anything other than the most stunning upset would be met with a "Meh" :rolleyes: - the PS in fifth place is a seismic shift, even though you're right of course that since Hamon's disastrous result it was clear that they were going to be wiped out. But even so.

GDPR

See, I said anything other than the most stunning upset would be met with a "Meh" :rolleyes: - the PS in fifth place is a seismic shift, even though you're right of course that since Hamon's disastrous result it was clear that they were going to be wiped out. But even so.

Would I be right in thinking that the PS vote shifted to Macron, so he is in fact PS Nouveau?

Wasn't that expected, though?
Not that level of destruction. Think of FF or FG winning five seats in a general election. Now imagine both winning just that number.

Would I be right in thinking that the PS vote shifted to Macron, so he is in fact PS Nouveau?
Vast majority of the wins are by new candidates previously unaffiliated or very weakly affiliated. Many ran against PS candidates.

midlander12

Well, actually, it seems to me that the PS and Melenchon's outfit are fighting it out for 4th and 5th place on 10-11% each, and that the combined left vote including the Greens is only about 23-24%. It's not just the PS that have been annihilated, it's the entire left. The Republicans on the other hand appear to have held on to Fillon's vote and possibly improved slightly on it, so they are at least a semi-viable opposition party should Macron stumble. The FN have held on to their core but that's the most that can be said for them, thankfully. Leftist voters appear to have made a leap of faith en masse towards Macron, which will make it interesting to see what happens when he announces his labour reforms etc.

petaljam

Well, actually, it seems to me that the PS and Melenchon's outfit are fighting it out for 4th and 5th place on 10-11% each, and that the combined left vote including the Greens is only about 23-24%. It's not just the PS that have been annihilated, it's the entire left. The Republicans on the other hand appear to have held on to Fillon's vote and possibly improved slightly on it, so they are at least a semi-viable opposition party should Macron stumble. The FN have held on to their core but that's the most that can be said for them, thankfully. Leftist voters appear to have made a leap of faith en masse towards Macron, which will make it interesting to see what happens when he announces his labour reforms etc.
Good points, and as you say, we shall see. I think September will be crucial, and possibly bloody (metaphorically speaking only, I hope)

The result is also related to disenchantment with the present government though, which of course was PS. If the Macron/REM phenomenon had occurred at the end of Sarkozy's presidency, we might well have seen a mirror image of today's result.

I'm talking about the voters not the candidates.
Oh, very possibly, and it has to be remembered that all parties will reposition themselves over the next few days. The big guns will work out ways to minimize their losses. This election is far from finished, but the result is decided. It's about margins now.

Breanainn

Interestingly, the FN % is identical to their 2012 Assembly score, indicating that we've already passed peak Marine.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies