• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

French Assembly Election

Dame_Enda

Big difference is France doesnt have an electoral college. Plus in the US system the legitimacy derives from the Electoral College. Personally I dont agree with the E.C. in its present form but it is legal.

Big difference is France doesnt have an electoral college. Plus in the US system the legitimacy derives from the Electoral College. Personally I dont agree with the E.C. in its present form but it is legal.
I happen to agree entirely with the EC, and accept completely the outcome of its vote, but it is a system which places varied value on votes.

Socratus O' Pericles

Anyhow, leaving aside the vagaries of the voting system,

France election: Macron party set for big parliamentary win - BBC News

Four years of Blairism for our French friends. En marche........
My concern would be that Macron now has such an overwhelming mandate - including many new faces who owe their election to him. In many places the local candidate didn't even have a poster and the message was "vote Macron" rather than the specific candidate.

It's interesting to see the differences when comparing the US and France. In the US, voters tend not to concentrate all the power in one party. While prudent, it can also create logjam. The French seem (on this occasion at least) to give Macron everything he needs to get things done. Time will tell.

One little side note. The parties in France win actual cash based on the results. One Euro forty two per vote won. Then, per deputy €37700 each year. This does not represent the salary of the deputies. If the figures remain through the second round, his party currently stand to be paid two hundred million plus this year (including the one-off voter payment and other payments), and serious millions each year thereafter. Not bad for an institution which was formed last year.

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

My concern would be that Macron now has such an overwhelming mandate - including many new faces who owe their election to him. In many places the local candidate didn't even have a poster and the message was "vote Macron" rather than the specific candidate.

It's interesting to see the differences when comparing the US and France. In the US, voters tend not to concentrate all the power in one party. While prudent, it can also create logjam. The French seem (on this occasion at least) to give Macron everything he needs to get things done. Time will tell.
He's the French Ahern?

noodles

I'd say the French smell blood in the water. Brexit presents a huge opportunity for France.
If Paris can land Euroclearing and companies like nissan, Airbus then it will reverse decades of Anglo dominance.
None of it will ve easy but in ten years time the French will be in a much better place.
It all swings on Macron fixing the labour laws and corporate tax system.

reformatted

What are you spouting?
What legitimacy does electoral college have? How is it not a weighted system that benefits some more than others? You talk some bull************************e dont you.
Since France has had democracy long before America, I assume it has more legality and legitimacy than the upstart US one.
The current president lost the popular vote by over 3 million votes and he is president. He is in effect illegitimate as per your earlier statements.

Mick Mac

France responds to the neo liberal caused problems by giving be liberalism the chance to really go for it this time. Good luck.

Le Pen bollixed by wanting to scrap the euro. The act if voting her was already a rebellion against the system. Scrapping the currency was doubling down when it wasn't necessary.

Reckon she will fade now.

Mick Mac

I'd say the French smell blood in the water. Brexit presents a huge opportunity for France.
If Paris can land Euroclearing and companies like nissan, Airbus then it will reverse decades of Anglo dominance.
None of it will ve easy but in ten years time the French will be in a much better place.
It all swings on Macron fixing the labour laws and corporate tax system.
Oh he is going to fix it good, real good.

Round two today. Wife is on her way to supervise the early count.