• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

French far right leader stripped of immunity by a European parliamentary committee

theObserver@hotmail.com

Marine Le Pen, the controversial leader of France's main far right party has been stripped of the immunity from prosecution she enjoyed as a member of the European Parliament (MEP). The way is now clear for French authorities to prepare criminal charges for inciting racism against Marine Le Pen over comments made in 2010 when she compared Muslims street prayers to WW2 Nazi occupation: "For those who want to talk a lot about World War Two, if it's about occupation, then we could also talk about it (Muslim prayers in the streets), because that is occupation of territory".

I find the move strange. Firstly, the french hasn't exactly shied away from confronting Islam. The burka is of course banned and Muslim street prayer was banned in 2011 largely as a result of far right protests. Is it not then hypocritical for french authorities to bring (yet more) charges of racism against Le Pen whose party secured 18% of the vote during the last presidential election? Islam of course is not a race.

Secondly, what is the grounds for removing her immunity from prosecution? Thirdly, why do MEPs have immunity from prosecution in the first place?

However, this protection was removed by a European parliamentary committee in a secret vote this week.

BBC chief political correspondent Gary O'Donoghue says he has been told that the vote to remove her immunity was "overwhelming".

It will need to be ratified by the full parliament, but that's expected to be a formality, our correspondent says.
BBC News - French far right leader loses immunity, faces charges

Sync

1. Yes France is focused on perceived immigration and Islamic threats and it's been discussed and length by all sides. That doesn't given any of those sides to engage in hate speech or speech designed to incite hatred.

2. It's not a blanket immunity. It only allows for speech involving their work:
Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) may not be granted legal immunity on opinions they express unless there is an obvious, direct link between the comments and the performance of their parliamentary duties, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled.

Under the Protocol on the Privileges and Immunities of the European Union (EU Protocol) MEPs cannot be "subject to any form of inquiry, detention or legal proceedings in respect of opinions expressed or votes cast by them in the performance of their duties".
So this vote was simply deciding if her speech fell under the above.

3. It's required because if for instance I don't know, an EU speech on the holocaust is taking place and an Irish MEP says in the house "well actually I don't believe it happened" then they can't be prosecuted in France or Austria etc.

Catalpast

Trial by secret is fundamentally Un Democratic

She is being targeted for her political beliefs...

Welcome to the EDR....:?

I wonder if it is possible to discover which MEPS voted to target one of their own?

Especially the Irish ones?

Will SF issue a Statement condemning this Secret Trial?:cool:

Will they F.cuk!:roll:

Catalpast

1. Yes France is focused on perceived immigration and Islamic threats and it's been discussed and length by all sides. That doesn't given any of those sides to engage in hate speech or speech designed to incite hatred.

2. It's not a blanket immunity. It only allows for speech involving their work:

So this vote was simply deciding if her speech fell under the above.

3. It's required because if for instance I don't know, an EU speech on the holocaust is taking place and an Irish MEP says in the house "well actually I don't believe it happened" then they can't be prosecuted in France or Austria etc.
Another Daft Law!:roll:

Tea Party Patriot

I certainly don't agree with what Le Pen said but bringing prosecutions against your political opponents when they have the support of one in five voters in your country could prove to be counter-productive and only serve to polarise the arguments on Islam in France further.

Ribeye

How is what she said considered a crime?

It's total rubbish,

I regularly compare people to the Nazi's, in fact I compared the Gardai to Hitlers Storm Troopers only yesterday on this very site,

And I a racist too?

Mercurial

It's total rubbish,

I regularly compare people to the Nazi's, in fact I compared the Gardai to Hitlers Storm Troopers only yesterday on this very site,

And I a racist too?
It's considered a crime because it's considered to incite hatred against Muslims, presumably.

stopdoingstuff

Europe does not have free speech any more. The bureaucrats have decided this no longer matters. The irony is that because Eurotrons are total mongs, they do not appreciate that any prosecution will make her only more popular and confirm that the establishment is scared of and has sold out European values to pacify Islam.

Sync

It's total rubbish,

And I a racist too?
Are Gardai a race? The charges relate to her claims that the 6 million muslims in the country are "occupying" it similar to the nazis and whether or not that was designed to generate hatred towards muslims. The MEP vote doesn't offer an opinion of guilt or innocence, simply that she couldn't use her position as MEP to shield her from prosecution in France for things she said there.

Ribeye

It's considered a crime because it's considered to incite hatred against Muslims, presumably.
Huh?

It's illegal to incite people to hate?

Than, logically, it must also be illegal to hate, right?

Coz it would be silly if it were illegal to incite people to do something that's perfectly legal,

Therefore, I must be an awful criminal, coz I hate lots of people,

Joe Duffy, Obama, Ian Huntly, Tony Blair, those horrible women on Midday, those horrible women in that Aldi ad........etc etc,

It's a very long list,

I hope I don't get charged with commiting "hatred"

Tea Party Patriot

Are Gardai a race? The charges relate to her claims that the 6 million muslims in the country are "occupying" it similar to the nazis and whether or not that was designed to generate hatred towards muslims. The MEP vote doesn't offer an opinion of guilt or innocence, simply that she couldn't use her position as MEP to shield her from prosecution in France for things she said there.
Muslims aren't a race either, do you consider Christians to be a race?

Sorry but what she said was sectarian, not racial, it really annoys me when people start calling a religion a race.

Ribeye

Are Muslims a race?

Coz the ones in Chechnya don't look much like the ones in Nigeria.

It's total rubbish,

And I a racist too?
Free Speech comes with a price. It's a price I'm happy to pay.

We need to adopt the US attitude to Free Speech.

stopdoingstuff

It was also true- parts of Europe are under occupation by Islamists. There are now entire neighbourhoods in many European cities where the police cannot safely enter and where Sharia has taken over. The public prayers that block the streets in France are also against French law, but the police do nothing because their political bosses are too cowardly to upset the Muslims in case they call them racist.

Mercurial

Muslims aren't a race either, do you consider Christians to be a race?

Sorry but what she said was sectarian, not racial, it really annoys me when people start calling a religion a race.
Why? It's not as though racism is less contemptible than sectarianism, or vice versa.

People who say "oh but Islam isn't a race" are engaging in semantics at best.

Ribeye

Free Speech comes with a price. It's a price I'm happy to pay.

We need to adopt the US attitude to Free Speech.
Indeed Des, we could a learn a lot from the Bill of Rights,

D

Deleted member 17573

They won't stop the tide with that sort of action. Europe will be reconquered by its indigenous people.
This poster is a racist troll - would all sensible posters ignore him and he'll go away.

Tea Party Patriot

Why? It's not as though racism is less contemptible than sectarianism, or vice versa.

People who say "oh but Islam isn't a race" are engaging in semantics at best.
It is a religion and it has members of every race and skin colour. So do you consider Christianity, Buddhism, or Hinduism to be races?