• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

French tweet: Gay people want children as pets

Happytolearn

As part of a substantial march against extending marriage rights to gay people in France the most tweeted quote of the day (from Bruno Gollnisch, a National Front politician) - was that 'Gay people want children as pets'. On a personal level as a gay man who hopes to become a father (given the right circumstance) I find this quote pretty offensive. I'm not sure how this man feels justified questioning my desire to be a father. How do we prove the sincerity of anyone's desire to parent? Is this now the general consensus amongst those who oppose gay people fathering/mothering children?

Marchers in Paris oppose extending gay rights - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 14, 2013

eyelight

As part of a substantial march against extending marriage rights to gay people in France the most tweeted quote of the day (from Bruno Gollnisch, a National Front politician) - was that 'Gay people want children as pets'. On a personal level as a gay man who hopes to become a father (given the right circumstance) I find this quote pretty offensive. I'm not sure how this man feels justified questioning my desire to be a father. How do we prove the sincerity of anyone's desire to parent? Is this now the general consensus amongst those who oppose gay people fathering/mothering children?

Whatever about your personal views on the subject, it it pretty much the truth.

As a homosexual you are in the wrong business if you want to be a father.

firefly123

Kids make terrible pets. They don't become house trained for ages no matter how much you rub their noses in it. They have to be dragged on the leash for months. They howl a lot. They refuse to eat pedigree chum so you have to give them milk! I'd go for a puppy in hindsight but the pound won't take the baby!

Happytolearn

Whatever about your personal views on the subject, it it pretty much the truth.

As a homosexual you are in the wrong business if you want to be a father.
My body is capable of helping to create a baby - I am capable of clothing, feeding, caring, teaching, protecting and guiding a baby.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
For years, elements in the gay community have been telling all and sundry about how awful their lot was, constantly being faced with bullying and homophobia (real or imagined) but now some seem to want to draw this upon completely innocent children, the vast majority of whom are not gay and they would also take these innocents out of the natural parental arrangement of a month and father.

Kai123

Im fairly liberal when it comes to accepting homosexuality in society but I cant help draw the line when it comes to parenting. It feels very wrong.

Saying that, many gay couples would be much more capable of raising happy children then most heterosexual families. Besides, you would only need one gay couple to do something even remotely stupid and it would kill the idea imminently.

Happytolearn

For years, elements in the gay community have been telling all and sundry about how awful their lot was, constantly being faced with bullying and homophobia (real or imagined) but now some seem to want to draw this upon completely innocent children, the vast majority of whom are not gay and they would also take these innocents out of the natural parental arrangement of a month and father.
Are you suggesting we should have just kept quiet and soldiered on? By your arguments - the children of mixed race couples should not have been born in the 50's and 60's due to society's unwillingness to accept them.

Last edited:

Ulster-Lad

My body is capable of helping to create a baby - I am capable of clothing, feeding, caring, teaching, protecting and guiding a baby.
Either you are gay or not? You sound as if you are in search of a sperm receptacle though willing to conceive for you then to give up the child.

Lonewolfe

I'm really surprised at Bruno coming out with that statement.

Talk about pot, kettle etc ...

Aristodemus

The language may be offensive but the sentiment is accurate. Look at Elton John and David Furnish. The whole notion of these two "bringing up baby" is a joke. It's like a fashon accessory

Happytolearn

Either you are gay or not? You sound as if you are in search of a sperm receptacle though willing to conceive for you then to give up the child.
No - that's not the case. I would imagine myself being in a 'co parenting' role - with the birth mother.

Happytolearn

The language may be offensive but the sentiment is accurate. Look at Elton John and David Furnish. The whole notion of these two "bringing up baby" is a joke. It's like a fashon accessory
What's the difference between Elton and Victoria Beckham?

Lonewolfe

There is simply no way you can know what their motivations were or what kind of parenting skills they may or may not have, simply no way.

Ulster-Lad

No - that's not the case. I would imagine myself being in a 'co parenting' role - with the birth mother.
As I said, you are either gay or not?

Would you look for a volunteer mother or advertise for the post?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Are you suggesting we should have just kept quiet and soldiered on? By your arguments - the children of mixed race couples should not have been born int he 50's and 60's due to society's unwillingness to accept them.
What I'm suggesting is that in matters related to children, the welling of the child should be the primary consideration. Mixed race couples provided a natural and proper family arrangement with a father and a mother. That is not the case in gay relationships.