• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Frenchman commits suicide in protest against gay marriage

Honecker

I knew there is strong opposition to gay marriage in France but this is taking the biscuit. Dominique Venner aged 78, dramatically shot himself in the head inside Notre Dame cathedral. Venner is a devout catholic and has connections to some far right groups in France. He is also a controversial historian and has made many media appearances. In his suicide note he stated his opposition to gay marriage and the rise of Islam in France. Will Venner now become a martyr for the extreme right?

Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage - Europe - World - The Independent

Last edited:

seabhcan

I knew there was a strong opposite to gay marriage in France but this is taking the biscuit. Dominique Venner aged 78, dramatically shot himself in the head inside Notre Dame cathedral. Venner is a devout catholic and has connections to some far right groups in France. He is also a controversial historian and has made many media appearances. In his suicide note he stated his opposition to gay marriage and the rise of Islam in France. Will Venner now become a martyr for the extreme right?

Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage - Europe - World - The Independent
If he was a bit younger, he'd be in with a shot at the Darwin award.

Sync

It's regrettable the clearly mentally unwell man didn't get help. On the plus side, if someone's going to get shot by a lunatic terrorist the Notre Dame, I'd rather it was the terrorist.

Sense 0f Wonder

To protest against the 'sin' of gay marriage, a man commits the (I assume worse) 'sin' of committing suicide by shooting himself in the head.

Is that how it works?

The next time someone skips a queue, I;m going to cut my head off!

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
A tragedy and why imposing "gay marriage" without a direct mandate of the people is such a bad idea. I hope Mr.Cameron understands that.

slippy wicket

The gays will never get him now, that's for sure.

Joking aside, he must have been seriously mentally ill.

mr. jings

He obviously had mental issues. The less publicity the better, on all fronts.

devoutcapitalist

I'm against gay marriage but its very extreme to committ suicide to become a martyr against gay marriage.

I also think suicide is selfish.

gijoe

Surely he could have been more imaginative and done a Brevik at a gay wedding?

Nemesiscorporation

I knew there was a strong opposite to gay marriage in France but this is taking the biscuit. Dominique Venner aged 78, dramatically shot himself in the head inside Notre Dame cathedral. Venner is a devout catholic and has connections to some far right groups in France. He is also a controversial historian and has made many media appearances. In his suicide note he stated his opposition to gay marriage and the rise of Islam in France. Will Venner now become a martyr for the extreme right?

What an idiot.

Ribeye

Sad,

I would have thought a historian would have seen the triple irony in killing himself as a protest against gay marriage and Islam,

Moneygod

In this example I would describe it as heroic, a man standing up for his beliefs and willing to pay the ultimate price for them.
Holy heck but that's a terrible load of nonsense, to be heroic in this instance , one would have to have been killed by the state or some such superior force in their opposition to his beliefs. Suicide is certainly never a heroic act, desperate maybe, mentally unstable maybe but never heroic.

FrankSpeaks

A dead idiot.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies