• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Frivolous appeals and what can be done about them

Sync

So we have the case of 2 spanners who raced a Porsche and BMW at 140 kmph on public roads on Christmas Day. The judge gives them 2 months jail each.

The 2 boyos are now appealing on the basis that the sentence is too severe. No point of law question, no doubts around guilt.

So if they lose this case, should the state really pay for appeals if the only grounds of appeal is the severity of sentence? It seems ridiculous. "The law is right, the decisions right, I just don't like the sentence".

Independent.ie Mobile News | top-stories - Independent.ie

The two men appeared before Judge Aeneas McCarthy at a special sitting of Limerick district court last week.

The court heard that motorists on the N21 had to take evasive action when the accused raced each other between Newcastle West and Rathkeale, Co Limerick shortly after 3pm on December 25.

statsman

So we have the case of 2 spanners who raced a Porsche and BMW at 140 kmph on public roads on Christmas Day. The judge gives them 2 months jail each.

The 2 boyos are now appealing on the basis that the sentence is too severe. No point of law question, no doubts around guilt.

So if they lose this case, should the state really pay for appeals if the only grounds of appeal is the severity of sentence? It seems ridiculous. "The law is right, the decisions right, I just don't like the sentence".

Automatic doubling of the sentence if the appeal is lost would sort it out sharpish.

bob3367

Automatic doubling of the sentence if the appeal is lost would sort it out sharpish.
Snap, Jesus you are quick this morning.

Con Gallagher

There is a right to a right de novo hearing on appeal. It's quite simple. No point of law is required. Severity only appeals are quite common. The appeal judge can increase the sentence.

Zoo?

statsman

From the newspaper article:

Jail for a first offence? Isn't that a tad harsh?
Stealing two cars, reckless driving endangering lives, probably no licences, no insurance, quite likely under the influence; seems mild enough a sentence to me.

FakeViking

Stealing two cars, reckless driving endangering lives, probably no licences, no insurance, quite likely under the influence; seems mild enough a sentence to me.
Where does it say they were stolen? I was under the impression that these guys are UK based, and drove their own cars? Could be wrong!

Victor Meldrew

How did they procure the vehicles? I always associated badly ill treated horses with that crowd!
Out of post taxation income. Earned through application of talent and hard work.

Saw headline. Assumed travellers. Felt guilty and wacist. Clicked on link. Vindicated.

statsman

Where does it say they were stolen? I was under the impression that these guys are UK based, and drove their own cars? Could be wrong!
So could I, but I live in Limerick and that's what I heard locally.

cricket

No mention in report of stolen vehicles.
Could just as easily be facing charges of multiple deaths with that behaviour.
Would love to see judge treble sentence for first appeal, watch the second then being dropped pronto.

Round tower

They got a 5 year driving ban, will this ban them from driving in the Uk, if it does just double the driving ban to 10 years, 2 month jail, will account to probally less than a month.

D

Deleted member 17573

Bad case - but better than bad law. Severity of sentence is not a frivolous ground for appeal, certain judges have a tendency to hand down sentences of above average severity.

potholedogger

140kmph does not seem like an extraordinary speed!

RobertW

140kmph does not seem like an extraordinary speed!
It says "more than 140kph" on the N21 where I believe maximum speed is 100kph.

This shows a disregard for other road users and consequently the sentence is more than justifiable.

Don Herron

Anti Traveller sentiment on here again I see. No moderation, just hate speech going completely unchecked.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies