From "Stab City" to "Stag City"!

williewatch

Lol.

Just when other cities are telling stag parties to f off along comes this this tourism clown wanting Limerick to take up the slack :)

New tourism boss says Limerick should 'go after' stag and hen market

MAYOR SUPPORTS CALL FROM FAILTE IRELAND CHAIR TO BRING MORE TOURISTS TO LIMERICK

The usual suspects smell a few euro anyway.

"Helen O’Donnell of the Limerick City Business Association admitted she would “prefeer other markets”.

“But business is business. And if you have people staying hotels certainly at down-times of the year, we would welcome it. Obviously I do not want us to become the stag and hen capital. But if that’s how Failte Ireland seeing us growing our business, I’d have no major objection,” she said.

Dr James Ring of the Limerick Chamber has welcomed the proposals, but said the city needs a good youth hostel to cater for this market first."

Watcher2

Lol.

Just when other cities are telling stag parties to f off along comes this this tourism clown wanting Limerick to take up the slack :)

New tourism boss says Limerick should 'go after' stag and hen market

MAYOR SUPPORTS CALL FROM FAILTE IRELAND CHAIR TO BRING MORE TOURISTS TO LIMERICK

The usual suspects smell a few euro anyway.

"Helen O’Donnell of the Limerick City Business Association admitted she would “prefeer other markets”.

“But business is business. And if you have people staying hotels certainly at down-times of the year, we would welcome it. Obviously I do not want us to become the stag and hen capital. But if that’s how Failte Ireland seeing us growing our business, I’d have no major objection,” she said.

Dr James Ring of the Limerick Chamber has welcomed the proposals, but said the city needs a good youth hostel to cater for this market first."

A youth hostel? Does he seriously want young people rushing headlong into marriage (and stags/hens)? Does he also want to foster the divorce party market too? That's the long term thinking we have been craving of our elected representatives.:lol:

Fvcking clown.

As he is a local councilor, am I right to assume he is a local business man? What is his business?

Prof Honeydew

A good youth hostel with no drinking or shagging and an 11pm curfew is just what the stag market needs.

The Nal

Limerick is a great spot to go out

GabhaDubh

Add a Vegas drive-up marriage window and we are good to go.

Bill

if they want to fill the place with drunk arseholes, why don't they market as slag city

stakerwallace

Quite a few stags and hens come here anyway. I don't experience them as particularly troublesome. In fact, I encountered one recently in my local and it was a very good humoured affair. All stages and hens don't necessarily turn into wild debauches.

Last edited:

gleeful

Seems like a good idea. Basically Limerick needs a tourist trap like Temple Bar.

FunkyBoogaloo

Stags and hens are a pain in the hole. So is Limerick.

Could be the beginning of a beautiful thing.

Felixness

Do Stags/Hens stay in hostels? I would have thought if you're going on a bender for the weekend you'd stay in a hotel. Just what everyone wants in their local on a Friday/Saturday night, a group of drunken, boisterous and loud Stags/Hens.:roll:

Hunter-Gatherer

certainly the gay marriage thing has put Ireland on the map. I say, the more ( moneyspending tourists) the merrier.

Spanner Island

So the City of Culture wasn't much of a success then...? No?

Can't say I'm surprised as all I heard about it was the in fighting and the f*** ups and not much else...

Maybe this is about Limerick's level...

Dublin made a killing out of it... so why not?

Felixness

Limerick has potential but the city desperately needs people who know what they're doing to advertise and publicise the city. A lot of interesting events are laid on but they aren't publicised and most people don't know about them until they're reading about them after the event. I don't live in Limerick so I don't buy Limerick newspapers, there's no point holding an event if people don't know it's happening. The Council seems to be made up of gobsh ites without a clue.

gleeful

Can't say I'm surprised as all I heard about it was the in fighting and the f*** ups and not much else...

Galway got that, no?

Spanner Island

Galway got that, no?
I'm talking about a couple of years back... when Limerick got it and it was mired in controversy and various groups bitching and moaning at each other incessantly etc.

I think they pulled it together about half way through the year but it was a shambles of a first half...

Ireland ain't big enough and we don't have enough cities to sustain a 'City of Culture' yoke anyway...

So just like 'The Gathering' before it... I suspect Ireland's 'City of Culture' will fade away into the mists of time eventually...

el_zapatista

It was an unmitigated disaster

Lúidín

We've sold our national pride, our sports credibility, our financial honesty, our clean water and wholesome food myth. There must be something else we can flog for the cronies.

Silentcorner

I'm talking about a couple of years back... when Limerick got it and it was mired in controversy and various groups bitching and moaning at each other incessantly etc.

I think they pulled it together about half way through the year but it was a shambles of a first half...

Ireland ain't big enough and we don't have enough cities to sustain a 'City of Culture' yoke anyway...

So just like 'The Gathering' before it... I suspect Ireland's 'City of Culture' will fade away into the mists of time eventually...
It was a disaster if you witnessed it through the eyes of Irish media.

But for those of us who bothered it was a superb year, excellent productions in well attended venues in all parts of the city...

The problem of course is, Irish people are incredibly trusting of their media...

The title of the thread contains a nasty nickname that has been normalised in Irish media over the decades...it has more to do with Irish parochial snobbery than crime...

irish_bob

Limerick has potential but the city desperately needs people who know what they're doing to advertise and publicise the city. A lot of interesting events are laid on but they aren't publicised and most people don't know about them until they're reading about them after the event. I don't live in Limerick so I don't buy Limerick newspapers, there's no point holding an event if people don't know it's happening. The Council seems to be made up of gobsh ites without a clue.
while a short distance apart and nearly identical in size , limerick is the complete opposite of galway in every way

galway outperforms on every level , limerick underperforms on every level

galway is the smuggest city in ireland and is the darling of media and visitors both foreign and domestic , limerick has a collective inferiority complex and would not know how to look affluent if it was raining gold coins , it gets about as many tourists each year as athlone or carlow

has to be the worst governed urban area in the country by a distance

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies