FT reading P.ie?

nuj

I posted last evening - "I can't understand why, over the last few years, the statement-of -the-bleedin'-obvious that "Ireland needs a healthy banking system" has automatically been assumed to mean that the existing entities should be supported, and at any cost up to and including national bankruptcy. http://www.politics.ie/economy/143040-bank-deposits-dwindling-ft.html#post3180504

FT editorial today - "Saving the banking system, however, is not the same as bailing out extant institutions; nor should taxpayers give up even more of their blood to the walking dead."

Hmm. Though they'd have had to write theirs a bit earlier, and it's more elegantly put.

antiestablishmentarian

I wouldn't be surprised if they were. There is more accurate information and more informed opinions on this site and other Irish political websites like PoliticalWorld.org than there is in the wretched output of RTE, the Indo and the Times (with honourable exceptions). Also, the FF spivs are quickly disciplined with facts and reality here than on radio or tv where they can waffle and bullsh1t their way though any interview.

constitutionus

wouldnt be the first time a journo took off a poster.

then again its not exactly NEW is it?

people have been pointing out the difference between the banks and the banking system for years now.

always comes up again when some gov twat trots out the line that letting them go would equal catastrophy.

Panopticon

It's common effing sense. That is good and bad news for the OP, I suppose.

Tough Paddy

When you say FT, I presume you mean the poster 'Future Taoiseach'. Yes, he is indeed a prolific reader of this site. He is also known to post occasionally too. His posts have a tendency to be sprinkled with the twin words elites and eurocrats :D Keep an eye out for him! :D

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
It's not unreasonable to think that media organisations are likely to be reading Politics.ie - I checked the September & October stats two weeks ago and a significant number of visits were coming from national and international media organisations.

From looking at the stats for yesterday (which was the busiest day in the history of the site) we had a few visits from Pearson Plc (which owns the FT).

Cavalier

I wouldn't be surprised if they were. There is more accurate information and more informed opinions on this site and other Irish political websites like PoliticalWorld.org than there is in the wretched output of RTE, the Indo and the Times (with honourable exceptions).
Don't forget that for every well-balanced argument or fact-based point on this forum, there's ten sensationalist, 'sky is falling', chicken-littlesque speculative posts spouting the purest of guesswork, which in many cases is politically or personally angled. What's embarrassing to see as a citizen is the unbridled panic from everyone and those who see themselves as "informed" imparting all kinds of foundationless rubbish about what they "know" will happen.

The poster who yesterday posted a tweet saying that there would be a budget this Thursday. FFS. Such I'll-informed waffle. If people on this website, or any other website, knew what was going to happen, then there wouldn't be such divergence in "educated opinion".

I'm all for being prepared, and for making idle speculation, but it's important that we not think a little too highly of our own speculation because it is just that.

Sorry to hijack your thread, OP. I've wanted to post that for a few days now.

Cassandra Syndrome

Great. I have sent them all an invoice.

bándearg

Speaking firsthand having worked in a newspaper it's common practice among hacks (particularly younger internet savvy ones) to trawl several internet forums for interesting tidbits. On that note it's far from unreasonable to think that journalists wouldn't be consulting the most active political message board in the country.

maxthedog

I posted last evening - "I can't understand why, over the last few years, the statement-of -the-bleedin'-obvious that "Ireland needs a healthy banking system" has automatically been assumed to mean that the existing entities should be supported, and at any cost up to and including national bankruptcy. http://www.politics.ie/economy/143040-bank-deposits-dwindling-ft.html#post3180504

FT editorial today - "Saving the banking system, however, is not the same as bailing out extant institutions; nor should taxpayers give up even more of their blood to the walking dead."

Hmm. Though they'd have had to write theirs a bit earlier, and it's more elegantly put.
We were posting on this site two years ago that there was no need to save indiginous irish banks, as we had the ACC which were a front for RABO, one of the safest banks in the world.

Good to see that the FT is on the ball. :)

Twin Towers

Heck of a lot easier for journos to swing by here for morsels than go out in the rain.

mazzington

OP fantasises about wielding influence over influential newspaper. Starts threads about said fantasy.

Awesome.

myksav

If so, no wonder the Fin Times blows some shyte at times, taking the rantings of amateurs like us as fact.

grainne whale

When you say FT, I presume you mean the poster 'Future Taoiseach'. Yes, he is indeed a prolific reader of this site. He is also known to post occasionally too. His posts have a tendency to be sprinkled with the twin words elites and eurocrats :D Keep an eye out for him! :D
Some of FT's postings have the IQ of a cucumber.!!

ItsLehmansWotDoneIt

It's not unreasonable to think that media organisations are likely to be reading Politics.ie - I checked the September & October stats two weeks ago and a significant number of visits were coming from national and international media organisations.

From looking at the stats for yesterday (which was the busiest day in the history of the site) we had a few visits from Pearson Plc (which owns the FT).
Congratulations Sir. But if you think its busy now, you ain't seen nothing yet. How's that Mother-of-All-Servers coming along?

nuj

OP fantasises about wielding influence over influential newspaper. Starts threads about said fantasy.

Awesome.
OP does nothing of the sort, you half-witted troll.

Try reading it.

nuj

Love the delusionists on here..........they really are funny.
I'm not surprised the Party has been able to spare you from canvassing duties. Things are bad enough, without making them worse.

nuj

Don't forget that for every well-balanced argument or fact-based point on this forum, there's ten sensationalist, 'sky is falling', chicken-littlesque speculative posts spouting the purest of guesswork, which in many cases is politically or personally angled. What's embarrassing to see as a citizen is the unbridled panic from everyone and those who see themselves as "informed" imparting all kinds of foundationless rubbish about what they "know" will happen.

The poster who yesterday posted a tweet saying that there would be a budget this Thursday. FFS. Such I'll-informed waffle. If people on this website, or any other website, knew what was going to happen, then there wouldn't be such divergence in "educated opinion".

I'm all for being prepared, and for making idle speculation, but it's important that we not think a little too highly of our own speculation because it is just that.

Sorry to hijack your thread, OP. I've wanted to post that for a few days now.
No prob, you're dead right. I'm not sure of the cyber equivalent of "paper never refused ink" but, if someone knows it, please tell me.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies