• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fuel Smuggling

HanleyS

Tonight's Prime Time program dealt with fuel smuggling and diesel laundering. I was told last year that a certain prominent fuel launderer is never tackled because it would bring down the peace process. I didn't understand why until I saw tonight's program. I didn't realise it was so brazen and unconcealed until I saw this evening's program. It seems obvious that it is seen as a necessary evil.

Ah I was about to create a similar thread on this!

I would have a few comments/questions about the program if people could answer it.

I felt the program was stretching a lot to make this issue important when it really did not seem that big a deal. I do understand that assault/threats/murder which were mentioned are a big deal, but the actual smuggling of fuel does not seem so massive.

Who is losing money? Is it the British government, petrol stations?

hiker

Excellent programme.

Its essentially a VAT scam and VAT scams dont make great news stories but this is just sooo obvious that if its not tackled every Tom, Dick and Harry will reckon the VAT men are asleep and nows the time to fleece them.

They will have to act.

HanleyS

Didn't they say something like 5% of the (official) NI market share going through one depot? Must watch again to see exactly what they said. The county councils in the border counties are also effected because their budgets are used cleaning up the sludge. The money is going into the black economy which can never be good.

HanleyS said:
Tonight's Prime Time program dealt with fuel smuggling and diesel laundering. I was told last year that a certain prominent fuel launderer is never tackled because it would bring down the peace process. I didn't understand why until I saw tonight's program. I didn't realise it was so brazen and unconcealed until I saw this evening's program. It seems obvious that it is seen as a necessary evil.

Maybe its because this same fuel smuggler knows information that could destabalise the peace process.

Remember this same fuel smuggler has never been jailed, which seems extraordinary and when arrested by the SAS and was armed was not shot, nor ever targetted by loyalists.

HanleyS

Has the person you are speaking of ever been convicted of smuggling/laundering?

I was trying to respect the DGDS rule.

beardyboy

The problem for me is that the additives that the put in which wreck cars engines over time.

Bray Head

PaintingMedium said:
Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) bears the entire brunt of the scam in foregone excise duty. It was an interesting programme, but their failure to put the hard questions to HMRC struck me as quite odd. Green and red diesel scams aside, fuel smuggling is not directly the responsibility of the Garda, the Revenue or oil companies. As the British Exchequer is losing out it's UK state agencies that should be cracking down. The programme didn't make this as explicitly clear as it should have.

bogtrotter

Charles Martel said:
HanleyS said:

Maybe its because this same fuel smuggler knows information that could destabalise the peace process.

Remember this same fuel smuggler has never been jailed, which seems extraordinary and when arrested by the SAS and was armed was not shot, nor ever targetted by loyalists.
You must be joking...arrested by the SAS and not shot...Did you read this in the Sunday Indo? This man that you refer to has been harassed by the police north and south of the border simply because he is a republican....He has never been convicted of any of the allegations made against him...If there was even the slightest bit of evidence available to use against him , it would have been used.

As a person who has lived on the border since the fifties and who smuggled a few pounds of butter and a few dozen eggs in my time, I can say that as long as there is a land border and different prices on either side...there will always be something to smuggle...Some people have always made a living smuggling , even a former FF TD was a well known cattle smuggler. Some of the better known smugglers were big cattle farmers who would have been FG supporters ...

It is just a simple fact of life on the border and I don't think all you innocent Dublin 4 people should loose sleep over it...

bogtrotter said:
Charles Martel said:
HanleyS said:

You must be joking...arrested by the SAS and not shot...Did you read this in the Sunday Indo? This man that you refer to has been harassed by the police north and south of the border simply because he is a republican....He has never been convicted of any of the allegations made against him...If there was even the slightest bit of evidence available to use against him , it would have been used.

As a person who has lived on the border since the fifties and who smuggled a few pounds of butter and a few dozen eggs in my time, I can say that as long as there is a land border and different prices on either side...there will always be something to smuggle...Some people have always made a living smuggling , even a former FF TD was a well known cattle smuggler. Some of the better known smugglers were big cattle farmers who would have been FG supporters ...

It is just a simple fact of life on the border and I don't think all you innocent Dublin 4 people should loose sleep over it...

He was arrested first in 1977 with Gerry McGeough you plank, do some checking and with all the surveillance skills the British security services have had available this known member of the army council has never been jailed.

The same security services that in just four years after Brighton were able to wipe out the anti-peace process East Tyrone Brigade.

PatMcL

Charles Martel said:
He was arrested first in 1977 with Gerry McGeough you plank, do some checking and with all the surveillance skills the British security services have had available this known member of the army council has never been jailed.

The same security services that in just four years after Brighton were able to wipe out the anti-peace process East Tyrone Brigade.

Same old trash from the same trashy sources. If you have any evidence of any illegal activity trot along to your nearest PSNI or Garda station.

As for being a plank do some checking of your own, the East Tyrone Brigade were very active right up to the ceasefire of 1994.

Aindriu

THere is an extremely easy way to end this problem but it is entirely up to the British Chancellor of the Exchequer to implement it. All he has to do is lower fuel tax on fuel entering NI to the same rates as the ROI. The only reason these people have a smuggling business from fuel is that the tax is far higher in the north. Make it equal and the problem goes away.

Having said that, given the amount of money that Berties corrupt administration and the revenue make from fuel coming into Ireland through Dublin, I suspect that our customs people and the Garda will do feck all about it.

Dillinger

Bray Head said:
PaintingMedium said:
Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) bears the entire brunt of the scam in foregone excise duty. It was an interesting programme, but their failure to put the hard questions to HMRC struck me as quite odd. Green and red diesel scams aside, fuel smuggling is not directly the responsibility of the Garda, the Revenue or oil companies. As the British Exchequer is losing out it's UK state agencies that should be cracking down. The programme didn't make this as explicitly clear as it should have.
Thety didnt make alot of things clear in the show, seemed to be thrown together in a hurry. It was still interesting to watch though.

HanleyS

Dillinger said:
Thety didnt make alot of things clear in the show, seemed to be thrown together in a hurry. It was still interesting to watch though.
It seemed to me there were a lot of things they couldn't comment on. For instance they could not comment on the case of Slab Murphy because he is subject to ongoing legal proceedings.

PatMcL

HanleyS said:
I was told last year that a certain prominent fuel launderer is never tackled because it would bring down the peace process.

Who told you this?

HanleyS

PatMcL said:
HanleyS said:
I was told last year that a certain prominent fuel launderer is never tackled because it would bring down the peace process.
Who told you this?
A friend of a friend I met in a pub. It's irrelevant. The Prime Time program said exactly the same thing about several prominent border oil barons.

PatMcL

HanleyS said:
PatMcL said:
HanleyS said:
Who told you this?
A friend of a friend I met in a pub. It's irrelevant. The Prime Time program said exactly the same thing about several prominent border oil barons.

It is relevant if your 'friend of a friend in a pub' has knowledge of the inner workings and machinations of the entire political process. Or else the 'friend' was just pissed.
Did Prime Time elaborate on how a couple of crims attached to fuel smuggling could bring down the entire peace process?

HanleyS

PatMcL said:
It is relevant if your 'friend of a friend in a pub' has knowledge of the inner workings and machinations of the entire political process. Or else the 'friend' was just pissed.
Did Prime Time elaborate on how a couple of crims attached to fuel smuggling could bring down the entire peace process?
You should watch the RTE program on their website. I don't have access here to post up a link for you. The friend was pissed but what he said has just been confirmed and elaborated on by the RTE program. He was commenting as someone who grew up in South Armagh and who liked to avoid paying taxes to "that biatch in Buckingham Palace".