Funding suspended to St John of God order in Malawi

Casablanca

The Irish Times is reporting that Funding has been suspended to the St John of God Order for a project in Malawi following allegations of child abuse against a former school principal and member of the order. The gist of the article is that the Funder Misean Cara, which gets funding from the State’s overseas development programme Irish Aid, said it was “extremely concerned” about issues raised involving Brother Aidan Clohessy. It said it had requested “a number of clarifications” from the order. It seems that Brother Clohessy was moved to Malawi after claims were made against him in 1985 of serious child abuse.

The suspension in Funding is in line with the Service Level Agreement entered into by the Order. An SLA covers not just the use of the money provided, but also the governance, HR practices and general operation of the funded organisation. I'm sure that everybody will be pleased that SLA are being enforced in the cases of organisations not complying with the terms of the Stat's Funding.

The full article is here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/funding-suspended-to-st-john-of-god-order-in-malawi-1.3379832

Last edited:

Casablanca

The enforcement of Service Level Agreements (SLA's) is a relatively recent eveny. In the past, scant attention was paid to the uses to which State Funding was put, particularly in the case of church-backed organistations. Over the past few years, the SLA's have been tightened up and are specific to each funded entity now as well as being reviewed and enforced. They are more likely to form the basis of funding suspension into the future. In other words, State Funding comes with conditions and those conditions not being met will result in withdrawal of the funding.

statsman

The enforcement of Service Level Agreements (SLA's) is a relatively recent eveny. In the past, scant attention was paid to the uses to which State Funding was put, particularly in the case of church-backed organistations. Over the past few years, the SLA's have been tightened up and are specific to each funded entity now as well as being reviewed and enforced. They are more likely to form the basis of funding suspension into the future. In other words, State Funding comes with conditions and those conditions not being met will result in withdrawal of the funding.
Which is all right and proper.

Casablanca

Which is all right and proper.
Hard to see how anybody could argue with the State requiring charities to use the money given by the taxpayers for the purpose, and in the manner, that the State requires.

However, some organisations still treat the money as their own to do with(on not!) whatever they wish

Casablanca

Of course, it should be pointed out that a suspension of funding in accordance with the Service Level Agreement, does not mean the Funding may not be restored if the investigation finds nothing untoward happened.

Sync

Of course, it should be pointed out that a suspension of funding in accordance with the Service Level Agreement, does not mean the Funding may not be restored if the investigation finds nothing untoward happened.
Which is correct. It's a tricky thing. If the Organisation (I.e: a large number of the governance team) incorrectly used money to cover up sexual abuse, there's got to be consequences for that. If an individual did the wrong thing and that individual is terminated, you'd want to see the money unblocked.

And even if the governance team have done wrong and the money is permanently stopped, you'd hope it's redirected to other similar organisations.

What you don't want is for the people the money helps to be put out.

Casablanca

Which is correct. It's a tricky thing. If the Organisation (I.e: a large number of the governance team) incorrectly used money to cover up sexual abuse, there's got to be consequences for that. If an individual did the wrong thing and that individual is terminated, you'd want to see the money unblocked.

And even if the governance team have done wrong and the money is permanently stopped, you'd hope it's redirected to other similar organisations.

Generally funding taken from a specific organisation will be re-directed to another doing similar work as the source funding is from a funding stream for that purpose.

It's worth repeating that the suspension of funding may not be as a result of any financial misdeeds, but rather not adhering to other aspects of the SLA such as HR, Child Protection or Policy failures. SLA's are fairly robust and detailed.

Cruimh

The money to Misean Cara hasn't been stopped by the State - the Funding for this project for been stopped by Misean Cara to the St John of God Order.

McTell

Twitter
No
The Irish Times is reporting that Funding has been suspended to the St John of God Order ///

It must be impossible that an order inspired and guided by the god that created the whole universe could not know of such a thing.

Volatire

The Irish Times is reporting that Funding has been suspended to the St John of God Order for a project in Malawi following allegations of child abuse against a former school principal and member of the order. The gist of the article is that the Funder Misean Cara, which gets funding from the State’s overseas development programme Irish Aid, said it was “extremely concerned” about issues raised involving Brother Aidan Clohessy. It said it had requested “a number of clarifications” from the order. It seems that Brother Clohessy was moved to Malawi after claims were made against him in 1985 of serious child abuse.

The suspension in Funding is in line with the Service Level Agreement entered into by the Order. An SLA covers not just the use of the money provided, but also the governance, HR practices and general operation of the funded organisation. I'm sure that everybody will be pleased that SLA are being enforced in the cases of organisations not complying with the terms of the Stat's Funding.

The full article is here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/funding-suspended-to-st-john-of-god-order-in-malawi-1.3379832
Irish taxpayer euro used to fund and cover up child sex abuse at a religious order carrying out charitable work in Africa?

Golly, imagine that. Who'd a thunk it?

McTell

Twitter
No
Irish taxpayer euro used to fund and cover up child sex abuse at a religious order carrying out charitable work in Africa?

Golly, imagine that. Who'd a thunk it?

It sounds really, really bad.

Not just that a charity is involved, but also hard-earned Taxpayers' money, going to a religious order that holds to the highest standards of human behaviour.

It sounds so unlikely that I'm sure writs will follow for defamation at the very least.

Old Mr Grouser

The money to Misean Cara hasn't been stopped by the State - the Funding for this project for been stopped by Misean Cara to the St John of God Order.
But why is taxpayers' money for one charitable organisation going to them by way of another?

Cruimh

But why is taxpayers' money for one charitable organisation going to them by way of another?

That is an issue in itself. If you have a look at the Misean Cara website you'll see that it is a "coalition" of a large number (91) of Catholic Orders and organisations that do Charitable and Missionary work abroad. Should the state in any way be funding Missionary work? I have no problems with the charitable works being done.

I suppose this story can be looked at in a positive light - One Catholic Group has self-policed by suspending funding to one Order for failing to live up to the SLA.

Obviously the Brother Clohessy issue - the allegations he faced, and why he was shipped off to Africa, is a matter for the St. John of God Order and the gardai.

Old Mr Grouser

That is an issue in itself. If you have a look at the Misean Cara website you'll see that it is a "coalition" of a large number (91) of Catholic Orders and organisations that do Charitable and Missionary work abroad. Should the state in any way be funding Missionary work? I have no problems with the charitable works being done.

I suppose this story can be looked at in a positive light - One Catholic Group has self-policed by suspending funding to one Order for failing to live up to the SLA.

Obviously the Brother Clohessy issue - the allegations he faced, and why he was shipped off to Africa, is a matter for the St. John of God Order and the gardai.
It's probably just me being a nasty old man, Cruimh, but I have seen a bit of life and having one religious charity allocating tapayer's money to other religious charities is wrong.

It can lead on to other things. though I'm not saying that it ever has.in respect of these charities.

Beachcomber

"Incorrectly used money to cover up sexual abuse"?

Is there a correct way to use money for that purpose?

McTell

Twitter
No
Set up in 2004, Misean Cara sounds thoro, takes in €15m pa from the state (that's us) and spends about €1m pa on 18 staff (905k in 2015).

1 paid 80-90k pa

1 paid 90-100k pa.

That's bargain basement, less than 10%. Of course the govt salaries here are not included, nor some in africa. Funding seems to be just about all from the state.

Doled out to dozens of orders.

http://www.miseancara.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Final-Misean-Cara-2016-Annual-Report.pdf

Numbers start at page 29, salaries about p43.

Board cost 39k (ouch), part of governance 121k. p42.

Hospitaller order of john of god got €536,000 in 2016; page 38.

.... this translates into 465m in the local coin of malawi, part of the Malawi unit's gross income of 2.3 billion "MK". About 20%, m'kay?

http://www.sjog.mw/admin downloads/SJOG 2016 Service Annual Report.pdf

(no page numbers as such, but figs about 3/4 into the doc).

McTell

Twitter
No
Click, it's that John of god charity... gotta pay good staff well.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/the-sense-of-betrayal-we-feel-is-intense-parents-of-children-at-st-john-of-god-special-needs-school-furious-over-salary-topups-34865219.html

The charity is now subject to a HSE probe after it emerged that that 14 senior managers in the organisation shared in a payout of €1.64m in 2013.

The payments varied between €50,000 and €250,000 at the tax-payer funded charity.
Furious families of students attending St Raphael’s special school in Celbridge, Co Kildare, demanded that the charity reveal who received the money.

“I am disgusted that some executives in St John of God are lining their own pockets while my son and many other children and adults who attend the school/services in St Raphael's suffer cuts,” said Aisling McNiffe, whose son Jack (11) attends the school.

Catalpast

Urgent need of reform there IMO at SJOGs

I am sure there are many decent people in the organization and in fairness overall they have done a lot more good in this world than harm

However as I have said many times before:

Charity begins at Home...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
So we have public money being handed to what appears to be a clearing house for a number of RCC organisations, some at least appear to have been somewhat profligate with handouts to senior staff.

I wouldn't mind seeing an explanation for those amounts of between £50k and 250k distributed to some of those charity staff members.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies