Future Referendums: Which side of the argument should have Yes or No?

Destiny's Soldier

Could the outcome of any Referendum, on any subject, put to the people be influenced by the word "Yes" ?

Yes is associated with being positive, agreeable and being something good. People who would say yes are generally helpful and likeable.

No is associated with being negative, disagreeable and being something bad. People who would say No tend to be difficult and disobliging.

Should the question put to the people in future referendums be notated as Vote A or B , Vote X or Y, Vote Option 1 or Option 2.
Even Y would signify Yes.

Would the outcome of the Abortion Referendum be different if the Pro-Lifer's had the side YES (I want to retain the 8th) and No (I want to delete it)

Selling the word "No" for deleting the 8th might prove more difficult to sell. The margin of victory might not have been so high.

Together for Yes was a nice marketing slogan for young dating couples. (The opposite being you're isolated Separated or single for No) "Together for No" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

The next referendum is only around the corner. The Govt will be selling Yes to you for something you may not like and be majorly opposed to.

You don't want to be difficult now and be advocating a No.

Shouldn't the options put to the people be emotionally neutral in wording?

Destiny's Soldier

owedtojoy

Could the outcome of any Referendum, on any subject, put to the people be influenced by the word "Yes" ?

Yes is associated with being positive, agreeable and being something good. People who would say yes are generally helpful and likeable.

No is associated with being negative, disagreeable and being something bad. People who would say No tend to be difficult and disobliging.

Should the question put to the people in future referendums be notated as Vote A or B , Vote X or Y, Vote Option 1 or Option 2.

Would the outcome of the Abortion Referendum be different if the Pro-Lifer's had the side YES (I want to retain the 8th) and No (I want to delete it)

Selling the word "No" for deleting the 8th might prove more difficult to sell. The margin of victory might not have been so high.

Together for Yes was a nice marketing slogan for young dating couples. (The opposite being you're isolated Separated or single for No) "Together for No" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

The next referendum is only around the corner. The Govt will be selling Yes to you for something you may not like and be majorly opposed to.

Maybe there should be 3 options:

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Shure, whatever you are having yourself

silverharp

its an interesting idea, any evidence from anywhere that this is a consideration? i dont think it would change a lot of votes though, you would have to be terribly feeble minded for this to be enough to flip your vote

Destiny's Soldier

Maybe there should be 3 options:

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Shure, whatever you are having yourself
I thought you might have a peer-reviewed, link-to study ready to go.

The Nal

The blasphemy law will be voted out big league. The collapse of the Catholic Church in this country is spectacular and total.

silverharp

The blasphemy law will be voted out big league. The collapse of the Catholic Church in this country is spectacular and total.
odds on the muslims would be the first to take advantage of it

Catalpast

Article 40.6.1(i) states "the publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law".
The constitutional provision garnered international headlines when it emerged gardai were investigating statements made by actor Stephen Fry on the Gay Byrne Meaning of Life show.

They didn't - another Hoax along the lines of Tuam & Savita

I cant see why this would be removed as its clear from the wording that its the Law what decides what is or is not blasphemous or not

The Law is decided by the Dáil

- this is pretty well along the lines on what we just voted on that abortion will be governed by Legislation

Article 41.2 states that the State "recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved".
It goes on to say that; "The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home."

The key word is Mothers

- if this is removed in its entirety then what is the point of the Mothers Allowance?

As with the Abortion Referendum

- be careful what you wish for...

redhead

:lol: Of all the bullsh1t reasons being trotted out the past 24 hours on here why the 8th was repealed with such a staggering majority, from ballot fixing to people not really understanding what they were voting for, this has to be the funniest.

Destiny's Soldier

Ireland 2040

Welcome to Dublin now Twinned with Amsterdam (Pot, SSM, Abortion, Prostitution)

Welcome to Cork now Twinned with Hamburg (with Reeperbahn like district)

Catalpast

:lol: Of all the bullsh1t reasons being trotted out the past 24 hours on here why the 8th was repealed with such a staggering majority, from ballot fixing to people not really understanding what they were voting for, this has to be the funniest.
I've already met them!

Destiny's Soldier

I'm not saying Repeal wouldn't have passed - but the result might have been say 58% in favour of repeal.

Even the word Repeal is associated with "change" rather than in legal terms meaning Delete or Annul.
Would the Pro Choice people have been as successful with Delete the 8th?

MsDaisyC

I'm not saying Repeal wouldn't have passed - but the result might have been say 58% in favour of repeal.

Even the word Repeal is associated with "change" rather than in legal terms meaning Delete or Annul.
We've had 36 referenda now and it's always been a question with a Yes/No answer. "Do you want to change the constitution?"

Would you have worried so much over the wording and response on the ballot to put the 8th amendment in the constitution in the first place?

redhead

Maranatha

You make several very reasonable points and thank you for laying them out so clearly. The recognition of the equality of the life of the mother and the unborn was voted in the affirmative in 1983. An honest 36th Amendment would have simply stated "The eighth article of amendment to the Constitution of Ireland is hereby repealed". It would have forced people to consider the equality of the mother and her unborn. Instead the focus was on the regulation of termination of pregnancy with no mention of the rights of the unborn at all.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies