G[ibraltar 3] A A...

Ex celt

The Band of the Royal Anglian Regiment will be there to play a few numbers including Did I clock you around the Rock and Bombs Away.

raetsel

Oh, I can deal with everything on this site very competently. I'm just laughing at you pal and your obsessional need to start a new thread at every opportunity winding up your fellow loyalists and any republicans mad enough to take you seriously.
Get a job, ya sad pr1ck! Or is that beyond your abilities now that equal employment is a reality? :)

AhNowStop

Oh, I can deal with everything on this site very competently. I'm just laughing at you pal and your obsessional need to start a new thread at every opportunity winding up your fellow loyalists and any republicans mad enough to take you seriously.
Get a job, ya sad pr1ck! Or is that beyond your abilities now that equal employment is a reality? :)
The goat riding fool would have a wee job only for those “Pesky McBride principles” :?

death or glory

You're too modest,
BTB is the second best thread starter on this forum..

He's the man.

theloner

Great OP title, I see what you did there.

between the bridges

Maybe someday moi'll wind ye up enough to bite, oh wait, Duh, lmfao...

making waves

The assassinations of the three IRA members in Gibraltar must be condemned - it was state sponsored murder.

However, the approach of SF must also be criticised - they are commemorating the deaths of three volunteers who were planning to plant a no-warning bomb - there was a second car in Marbella packed with 141lbs of semtex with a timer set for 11.20am waiting to be activated. A car bomb to be planted at a ceremony and when it was due to blow up the three IRA volunteers would have been back in Spain without any knowledge of how many people - and who these people were - standing beside that car bomb when it exploded.

Furthermore, there is no commemoration for Gillian Johnston a 21 year-old Protestant woman, who was shot dead (and her fiance seriously wounded) in an IRA attack in Belleek, Co. Fermanagh on the night of the Milltown cemetery attack . The IRA immediately attempted to excuse the murder (of an unarmed) Gillian Johnson by claiming their target was her brother who was a UDR member - except the Johnson family refuted the allegation that any member of the family was in the UDR.

For the IRA their biggest 'failures' were their biggest successes - the failure to blow up the ceremony in Gibraltar turned into a propaganda coup for the IRA when three of its members were murdered by the SAS.

For the IRA their biggest 'successes' were their biggest failures - like the indiscriminate bombing in Enniskillen that was a spectacular success in that it killed 12 innocent people in a no-warning bomb (like the one intended in Gibraltar) - yet it was their biggest political failure given the massive community wide reaction against it.

It is the nature of the tactic of individual terrorism - and a demonstration of its failure.

vivabrigada

The assassinations of the three IRA members in Gibraltar must be condemned - it was state sponsored murder.

However, the approach of SF must also be criticised - they are commemorating the deaths of three volunteers who were planning to plant a no-warning bomb - there was a second car in Marbella packed with 141lbs of semtex with a timer set for 11.20am waiting to be activated. A car bomb to be planted at a ceremony and when it was due to blow up the three IRA volunteers would have been back in Spain without any knowledge of how many people - and who these people were - standing beside that car bomb when it exploded.

Furthermore, there is no commemoration for Gillian Johnston a 21 year-old Protestant woman, who was shot dead (and her fiance seriously wounded) in an IRA attack in Belleek, Co. Fermanagh on the night of the Milltown cemetery attack . The IRA immediately attempted to excuse the murder (of an unarmed) Gillian Johnson by claiming their target was her brother who was a UDR member - except the Johnson family refuted the allegation that any member of the family was in the UDR.

For the IRA their biggest 'failures' were their biggest successes - the failure to blow up the ceremony in Gibraltar turned into a propaganda coup for the IRA when three of its members were murdered by the SAS.

For the IRA their biggest 'successes' were their biggest failures - like the indiscriminate bombing in Enniskillen that was a spectacular success in that it killed 12 innocent people in a no-warning bomb (like the one intended in Gibraltar) - yet it was their biggest political failure given the massive community wide reaction against it.

It is the nature of the tactic of individual terrorism - and a demonstration of its failure.
Two of Britains biggest "successes" during the period were monumental disasters for them, internment and trying to criminalise Republican prisoners.
The Anglo Irish Agreement was signed a year and a month after the IRA attacked the British Tory Government.
There's a lot more to history, Y'know.

tokkie

Two of Britains biggest "successes" during the period were monumental disasters for them, internment and trying to criminalise Republican prisoners.
The Anglo Irish Agreement was signed a year and a month after the IRA attacked the British Tory Government.
There's a lot more to history, Y'know.
I'm not sure if the British would classify either as being successful. They tried and failed, but being British they had to persevere to ensure they saved face. The fact they are a bit stupid, when it comes to understanding Ireland and the Irish doesn't help.

I imagine they classify Loughgall as a success. They probably see their infiltration of the Republican movement as a success too.

tokkie

You're too modest,
BTB is the second best thread starter on this forum..

He's the man.
BtB is a decent wind up merchant.

But his obsession with the GAA is a bit weird. We know he's not man enough to play hurling, but he's welcome to wash jersies, if he really wants to be involved.

vivabrigada

I'm not sure if the British would classify either as being successful. They tried and failed, but being British they had to persevere to ensure they saved face. The fact they are a bit stupid, when it comes to understanding Ireland and the Irish doesn't help.

I imagine they classify Loughgall as a success. They probably see their infiltration of the Republican movement as a success too.
I meant they triumphed them at the time but all they did was galvanise Nationalists and Republicans.
Attacking funerals was eventually another disasterous policy.
No doubt they viewed killing Republicans and infiltration as successes but they still knew they would have to do a political deal
Republicans carried out infiltration too.

tokkie

I meant they triumphed them at the time but all they did was galvanise Nationalists and Republicans.
Attacking funerals was eventually another disasterous policy.
No doubt they viewed killing Republicans and infiltration as successes but they still knew they would have to do a political deal
Republicans carried out infiltration too.
They were always going to triumph them. It was part of their face saving exercise. That sort of propaganda is to be expected. The fact they thought they were good ideas to begin with is the stupid part.

Niall996

Now other than professing to be a sport for all and non party political, moi wouldn't know much about city based GAA clubhouses...

But given the above event and Shin flakes involvement and support...

Surely some clarification on the rules of non party politics tis required?...

answers from the GAA over the event staged at Michael Davitts GAC - which has received more than £1.3m in funding from the Lottery and Belfast City Council - on the Falls Road.

"I think it is only right that the GAA clarify for the benefit of the wider community if they believe the hosting of events which glorify the actions of the IRA should be held on their premises," he said.

"Failing to rid the GAA of this baggage will undoubtedly put the spotlight on GAA sponsors and the award of public funding and other funding to GAA clubs who host events like this on their premises."

"The GAA should state clearly that events glorifying terrorism have no place on club premises."

A flyer advertising the event hosted by veteran republican Joe Austin was posted on the club's Facebook page on March 2.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/gaa-event-honouring-gibraltar-three-angers-dup-club-got-15m-lottery-cash-36726729.html

In a statement, Ulster GAA said: "The GAA is a non-party political organisation.

"This is specified in the rules of the GAA and any breaches of rules are treated seriously and may incur suspension."

Now that statement would suggest some action will be taken, such as waiting until tis no longer news and doing nathing...
Is a commemoration of fallen British Army veterans in the UK a party political thing? I see all sorts of collections, flower sales, fund raising events etc for veterans here in the UK with various parties involved and no one bats an eye. What's the issue?

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies