Gaa & psni

McSlaggart

A senior member of the Ulster Council of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) has said players should be able to join the PSNI without impacting their membership at a club.

Provincial secretary Brian McAvoy was speaking at a GAA conference on Wednesday.
The conference was attended by a number of police officers.

PSNI job 'should not impact GAA membership' - BBC News

Successful management of change is crucial to any organisation/society/... The GAA is at least trying to deal with the issue of the failure of the PSNI to gain acceptance in the Nationalist community. At the last Tyrone V Derry match in the city of Derry I did not see a single officer on duty. In the 12 july Newtownstewart when it was held in Newton in Tyrone the place was full of PSNI officers. I think the urgently need to bring back 50:50 recruitment.

statsman

A senior member of the Ulster Council of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) has said players should be able to join the PSNI without impacting their membership at a club.

Provincial secretary Brian McAvoy was speaking at a GAA conference on Wednesday.
The conference was attended by a number of police officers.

PSNI job 'should not impact GAA membership' - BBC News

Successful management of change is crucial to any organisation/society/... The GAA is at least trying to deal with the issue of the failure of the PSNI to gain acceptance in the Nationalist community. At the last Tyrone V Derry match in the city of Derry I did not see a single officer on duty. In the 12 july Newtownstewart when it was held in Newton in Tyrone the place was full of PSNI officers. I think the urgently need to bring back 50:50 recruitment.
Why would your job affect membership of a sports club? And yes, 50:50 recruitment was a very good idea.

CastleRay

This response from a GAA council member in 2017 is to be welcomed but it is very little and very late.

I don't support discrimination so I don't support anything other than the merit principle in recruitment. If the CNR community is to be represented properly in the police service then that community needs to get its own act together that prevents those from within it joining the PSNI e.g. it needs to openly support the law and policing of it, and it needs Political and community leadership with regard to this.

hollandia

Why would your job affect membership of a sports club? And yes, 50:50 recruitment was a very good idea.
It shouldn't. And Brolly's article recently was what is driving this. AFAIAC, if your on a sports team, your job is left at the door.

hollandia

I meant the metaphysical long run, not the temporal variety.
Yes. Quite.

However, two things are important here. Regardless of your position on rule 21 - as a GAA person I was delighted it was lifted, but i understand the historical and political reasons it persisted so long - it is gone. There is no bar to membership, and under the rules of the association - and more importantly its ethos - the team is the team. Those making any club a "cold place" should be disciplined.

The second thing, as a GAA person hailing from an underachieving county, I want as many people as possible playing the game. Ideally, I want every protestant/unionist in my county to at least have the experience. It may not be for them, but that is true of all sports. I do not want any barriers, real or imagined put in their way of that experience. The association will be richer for it.

statsman

Yes. Quite.

However, two things are important here. Regardless of your position on rule 21 - as a GAA person I was delighted it was lifted, but i understand the historical and political reasons it persisted so long - it is gone. There is no bar to membership, and under the rules of the association - and more importantly its ethos - the team is the team. Those making any club a "cold place" should be disciplined.

The second thing, as a GAA person hailing from an underachieving county, I want as many people as possible playing the game. Ideally, I want every protestant/unionist in my county to at least have the experience. It may not be for them, but that is true of all sports. I do not want any barriers, real or imagined put in their way of that experience. The association will be richer for it.
The association, the community and the country will all be richer for it.

McSlaggart

Being a member of the PSNI should not stop one from being a member of a GAA club. That is an issue for the GAA to address and deal with the best way they can.

The PSNI have an issue when they are not representative of the community which they serve. It is virtually impossible to successfully police a community if your not part of it.

McSlaggart

I don't support discrimination so I don't support anything other than the merit principle in recruitment.
In Northern Ireland their is a onus on a firm to reflect the social cultural balance in its workforce. This does impact on recruitment for jobs.

hollandia

In Northern Ireland their is a onus on a firm to reflect the social cultural balance in its workforce. This does impact on recruitment for jobs.
Well, in a roundabout way, I'd agree with Ray. Socially we aren't at that place though where we can employ people solely on merit.

McSlaggart

Well, in a roundabout way, I'd agree with Ray. Socially we aren't at that place though where we can employ people solely on merit.
I equally prefer the merit criteria but in a situation in which you have 2 candidates equally good for a job and one will balance your workforce better then often the decision will be taken on that final criteria.

statsman

This response from a GAA council member in 2017 is to be welcomed but it is very little and very late.

I don't support discrimination so I don't support anything other than the merit principle in recruitment. If the CNR community is to be represented properly in the police service then that community needs to get its own act together that prevents those from within it joining the PSNI e.g. it needs to openly support the law and policing of it, and it needs Political and community leadership with regard to this.
I equally prefer the merit criteria but in a situation in which you have 2 candidates equally good for a job and one will balance your workforce better then often the decision will be taken on that final criteria.
There's merit in being representative of the community.

hollandia

Legally speaking Fair employment legislation dictates that a workforce should be representative (within certain parameters) of the community. But in a solely merit based recruitment regime, it would be anyway. That said, the historical reasons for this are well aired at this stage.

AhNowStop

the Patton 50:50 recruitment policy was an excellent idea and should most certainly have been retained ... Unionists obviously complained about it and got it binned .. How the feck was that allowed to happen btw? :roll:

if something doesnt change soon we could slip back to pre peace process stats .. and that spells disaster..

One sure fire way to ensure that NI doesnt (no matter what) slip back into troubles is to ensure a decent split in the police ... a "proper" police force would not allow it, and certainly wouldnt/couldnt promote & collude in it..

hollandia

the Patton 50:50 recruitment policy was an excellent idea and should most certainly have been retained ... Unionists obviously complained about it and got it binned .. How the feck was that allowed to happen btw? :roll:

if something doesnt change soon we could slip back to pre peace process stats .. and that spells disaster..

One sure fire way to ensure that NI doesnt (no matter what) slip back into troubles is to ensure a decent split in the police ... a "proper" police force would not allow it, and certainly wouldnt/couldnt promote & collude in it..
It wasn't binned. It reached it's target, then by default moved off the stage. Nothing to do with unionist complaints at all.

AhNowStop

It wasn't binned. It reached it's target, then by default moved off the stage. Nothing to do with unionist complaints at all.
Are you sure ? .... Im fairly certain that Unionists lobbied strongly for it to be ended and it was a Tory SOS who ended it.. they (unionists) never liked it in the first place ...

it was "supposed" to get to a stage where is was reflective of the population .. I believe it got to 29/30% which is not reflective .. better than 8% of course but you know what I mean..

personally I believe its "vitally" important to the future of this place ... a 70-30 split is NOT good.. and that split no doubt gets much higher the higher up you go..

New Threads

Most Replies