GAA row over Sinn Féin meeting in Donagh, Fermanagh

Cruimh

GAA denies breaking rules by hosting Sinn Fein meeting - The Fermanagh Herald

A SF meeting in the clubhouse, followed by a candlelit vigil for Martin McGuinness.

The GAA is supposed top avoid Party Politics.

A rather lame response from the club that it wasn't a SF meeting, despite being advertised as such, and they were investigating information for grants - which begs the question as to why Sean Crowe was on the panel.

A reasonable point that the club is entitled to lease it's premises for meetings - so I'd have to say the Club wasn't breaking the rules.

hollandia

GAA denies breaking rules by hosting Sinn Fein meeting - The Fermanagh Herald

A SF meeting in the clubhouse, followed by a candlelit vigil for Martin McGuinness.

The GAA is supposed top avoid Party Politics.

A rather lame response from the club that it wasn't a SF meeting, despite being advertised as such, and they were investigating information for grants - which begs the question as to why Sean Crowe was on the panel.

A reasonable point that the club is entitled to lease it's premises for meetings - so I'd have to say the Club wasn't breaking the rules.
It's a fair point, cruimh, and a grey area which is exploited all over the country, by most parties. Often, (and I know this to be the case in donagh) the gaa club is the only suitable venue for these things in the locality. That said, the gaa is meant to be apolitical in a party sense, so some clarity around the rule needs to be brought.

cricket

That has all the hallmarks of a SF gig. Unfair of them to put the GAA club in the firing line.

hollandia

That has all the hallmarks of a SF gig. Unfair of them to put the GAA club in the firing line.
Labour would never use a GAA hall. A phone box would suffice these days...

Minister for Older People Maire Hoctor's assertion that last Saturday's public meeting in Nenagh on the planned HSE withdrawal of certain services from the local hospital amounted to "a Labour Party rally" has been dismissed this week by the Hospital Action Group and the Labour Party.
The sports hall at the MacDonagh Park GAA complex was packed to capacity for the meeting and hundreds huddled in the rain outside to hear speaker after speaker express fears, reservations and in many cases downright opposition to the moves by the Health Service Executive to withdraw 24-hour accident and emergency services, acute care and critical care services from Nenagh hospital.
The PRO of the Hospital Action Group, Labour Party Senator Alan Kelly, put the numbers attending the meeting at approximately 2,000 but other estimates sought from people attending the event put the figure at no more than 1,000.
Minister Hoctor said she did not attend the meeting because it was "in effect a Labour Party rally" where people could expect "a display of Labour Party trumped up spin in which I certainly will not participate".
http://www.alankelly.ie/blog/2009/02/02/save-nenagh-hospital-rally/

Hypocrite.

between the bridges

Gaa/sf....

CastleRay

The gaa is an Irish Nationalist organisation and in Northern Ireland, Irish Nationalism is mainly represented by Sinn Fein. There's nothing surprises me in Sinn Fein and the GAA being cosy. What's the story here??

Levellers

There is no row. Only the minority unionists attempting to dictate how cultural events they don't like are undertaken.

Roy Feen

If there's one euro/pound in it for them, the GAA will be all over it.

between the bridges

There is no row. Only the minority unionists attempting to dictate how cultural events they don't like are undertaken.
Ach didmumz tis just a pity the paper running with it tis a 'nationalist' paper! Obviously no wan is surprised but technically tis and was against the grab all assets rules...

hollandia

Ach didmumz tis just a pity the paper running with it tis a 'nationalist' paper! Obviously no wan is surprised but technically tis and was against the grab all assets rules...
I think cruimh had pointed out in his op, that it was also not in breach of the rules. Sort of a Schrödinger's rule, both not broken and broken at the same time...

But these grey areas are how things work. You'll see that I've posted that "labour" have broken this particular rule also. No doubt fianna fail also. In fairness, FG meetings are likely to be held in the local yachting club or gymkhana...

hollandia

Not in wonderful Fermanagh .....

The Fermanagh Juan (I wonder if his freedom was discussed at the meeting?) will be along shortly to explain .....
If he's oppressed, then no doubt he's top of the agenda. However, any ensuing equality might break him. (terms and conditions apply, your home may be at risk if you do not keep up repayments etc etc)

Glenshane4

It's a fair point, cruimh, and a grey area which is exploited all over the country, by most parties. Often, (and I know this to be the case in donagh) the gaa club is the only suitable venue for these things in the locality. That said, the gaa is meant to be apolitical in a party sense, so some clarity around the rule needs to be brought.
The rules of the GAA do not bestow on its units the aims of promoting rugby or soccer. Was the leasing of Croke Park to the IRFU or FAI ultra vires its aims? I merely ask.

I am also aware of instances where the local Catholic Church was closed for repairs and Sunday Mass was celebrated in the local GAA hall - for more than a year. Was that ultra vires the aims of the GAA?

And I aware of another instance where the GAA club allowed its premises to be used for a fund raising event to help put a new roof of the local Church of Ireland. Was that ultra vires the aims of the GAA?

In September 1991, there was another incident. The grounds of the Cooley Kickhams GAA club of County Louth was used for an anti-Sinn Fein demonstration after the IRA had claimed responsibility for the killing of a Mr Tom Oliver. Was that use of the premises ultra vires the aims of the GAA?

Does an organisation have a right to allow its premises to be used by other organisations? More to the point, is it wise to do so?

hollandia

The rules of the GAA do not bestow on its units the aims of promoting rugby or soccer. Was the leasing of Croke Park to the IRFU or FAI ultra vires its aims? I merely ask.

I am also aware of instances where the local Catholic Church was closed for repairs and Sunday Mass was celebrated in the local GAA hall - for more than a year. Was that ultra vires the aims of the GAA?

And I aware of another instance where the GAA club allowed its premises to be used for a fund raising event to help put a new roof of the local Church of Ireland. Was that ultra vires the aims of the GAA?

In September 1991, there was another incident. The grounds of the Cooley Kickhams GAA club of County Louth was used for an anti-Sinn Fein demonstration after the IRA had claimed responsibility for the killing of a Mr Tom Oliver. Was that use of the premises ultra vires the aims of the GAA?

Does an organisation have a right to allow its premises to be used by other organisations? More to the point, is it wise to do so?
Tbh, no one really cares.

Cruimh

If he's oppressed, then no doubt he's top of the agenda. However, any ensuing equality might break him. (terms and conditions apply, your home may be at risk if you do not keep up repayments etc etc)
How do you repossess a sheugh?

(Only our sheughs run free etc etc)

Word is that after the successful poaching of the TV Show Strictly, dJarry is to launch choccies that are sound on the national question - Equality Street....

hollandia

How do you repossess a sheugh?

(Only our sheughs run free etc etc)

Word is that after the successful poaching of the TV Show Strictly, dJarry is to launch choccies that are sound on the national question - Equality Street....
Hey, lets not get bogged down in entrenched positions, eh? We wouldn't want bridges to ditch his principles. It may prove too draining. Anyway, I heard the chocs were going to be called Green and not black...

New Threads