GAA row over Sinn Féin meeting in Donagh, Fermanagh

Glenshane4

It is strange that so many non-GAA people are so interested in GAA Clubs allowing other organisations to use the Club's premises.

Did any of these people object when the Cooley Kickhams GAA Club of County Louth allowed their grounds to be used for an anti-Sinn Fein demonstration? If not, why not?

CastleRay

It is strange that so many non-GAA people are so interested in GAA Clubs allowing other organisations to use the Club's premises.

Did any of these people object when the Cooley Kickhams GAA Club of County Louth allowed their grounds to be used for an anti-Sinn Fein demonstration? If not, why not?
The GAA receives so much public funding it is not surprising it attracts interest from outsiders when they see the GAA's shenanigans and dancing on a pin to justify what it gets up to.

Northsideman

The GAA receives so much public funding it is not surprising it attracts interest from outsiders when they see the GAA's shenanigans and dancing on a pin to justify what it gets up to.
I think you will find the vast majority of GAA members don't want any party political events in their clubs and will be quite open about that and won't be dancing on any pins, I for one will not.

CastleRay

I think you will find the vast majority of GAA members don't want any party political events in their clubs and will be quite open about that and won't be dancing on any pins, I for one will not.
The vast majority as you describe is either not true or their powerless within the GAA.

D

Deleted member 39930

And yet, it's only you, glensham and Nagasaki boy who seem to care. That should tell you something.

CastleRay

And yet, it's only you, glensham and Nagasaki boy who seem to care. That should tell you something.
Nobody cares so it's not news at all. Oh wait, 3 people cause the news.

Btw, you should re-read my view on this. Page of one.

GDPR

Global Justice showed that Glenshane4 is for real- he knew him personally I think.

I like Glenshane4, he is one of the more interesting and at times insightful posters here.

Cruimh

The Ulster Council of the GAA has previously taken decisive action on preventing political parties using their venues.

In May 2012 a Sinn Fein advice clinic due to take place in an Armagh GAA was moved to an alternative venue after the Ulster Council intervened.

The Wolfe Tones club in Derrymacash had given Upper Bann Sinn Finn representatives permission to use its facilities for the event before the Ulster Council became involved following complaints.

But it was moved elsewhere as the club would have been in breach of the GAA's Official Guide.
It states that: "Party political questions shall not be discussed at its meetings, and no committee, club, council or representative thereof shall take part, as such, in any party political movement."
When is a Sinn Fein meeting not a Sinn Fein meeting? When it's a gathering of party officials in GAA club - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Glenshane4

No sporting club received more funding from the taxpayer than the Linfield soccer club - even during the period when it had a "no Catholics" employment policy.

The GAA does not have to justify anything to Prods. The Prods have waged war on the GAA. When BBC radio (Northern Ireland) was established it refused to transmit GAA football and hurling results.

CastleRay

No sporting club received more funding from the taxpayer than the Linfield soccer club - even during the period when it had a "no Catholics" employment policy.

The GAA does not have to justify anything to Prods. The Prods have waged war on the GAA. When BBC radio (Northern Ireland) was established it refused to transmit GAA football and hurling results.
It's not about prods or cafflics, it's about the use of taxpayers' money that causes the interest. Otherwise nobody except gaa folk are interested in gaa.

D

Deleted member 39930

It's not about prods or cafflics, it's about the use of taxpayers' money that causes the interest. Otherwise nobody except gaa folk are interested in gaa.
Ah right. The contention now is that the sneaky shinners are having meetings at the tax payers expense? Quite a stretch, no?

cricket

Some years ago I met a guy I knew coming out of a hurling match in Thurles, think it was a Munster final but not sure. He was from a strong unionist background but his work brought him south very often. He told me he loved hurling but would only attend a game south of the border. If any of his community saw him going to a game in the north, he feared it would have serious consequences. That afair was in the late 90's, haven't met him for about 10 years, would like to think things have changed for the better since.

McSlaggart

Are you saying that political parties should not use halls that receive public money?

Glenshane4

Some years ago I met a guy I knew coming out of a hurling match in Thurles, think it was a Munster final but not sure. He was from a strong unionist background but his work brought him south very often. He told me he loved hurling but would only attend a game south of the border. If any of his community saw him going to a game in the north, he feared it would have serious consequences. That affair was in the late 90's, haven't met him for about 10 years, would like to think things have changed for the better since.
The word "only" is in the wrong place. It should be immediately before the word "south."

D

Deleted member 39930

Anyhow... Of more import is the fact that Antrim are back as a division one hurling team next season. Aontroim abú...

Northsideman

The vast majority as you describe is either not true or their powerless within the GAA.
This has been raised by me on other threads previously in relation to politicians in Dublin using the GAA to seek electoral gain. Specifically one who was a know all independent who had all the answers but who has since been appointed a minister and has done feck all proving he is just a tosser.

The GAA is vast organisation and it's hard to police everything, it should be investigated and sanctions applied if neccessary, again I wiĺl say the vast majority want FA to do with party politics in their clubs.

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom