GAA shows The way

bactrian

In many ways it is a small thing, indeed many might ask "Why wouldn't they".

I think it is important

The GAA opened up it's headquarter stadium to the Islamic Community.

We have had previous instances of Croke Park being used for (Roman) Catholic celebrations , and therefore they should not be averse to any other Faith .

Unfortunately in recent times we have all been disgusted by the Sectarian, Racist and Xenophobic rantings of a certain person and her followers.

I'm going, I know, to express this in an awkward, cack-handed way (please forgive me). The GAA are not to be praised for not being Sectarian, Racist or Xenophobic. My praise is for them knowing that they have already and will get more Sectarian, Racist and Xenophobic abuse and not giving a damn!

de valera's' giddy goat

It is my belief that sports grounds should not be used for religious events no matter what faith it is.

bactrian

It is my belief that sports grounds should not be used for religious events no matter what faith it is.
Deep in the philosophy of the GAA is the idea of "Community", "Including Everyone*". The GAA has not always lived up to this ideal (as I am sure some posters will illustrate),but, in the present instance they have.

BTW : I'm not a great fan of Religion

* Yes the GAA used to have a rule excluding the RUC, British Army etc(Rule 21 which was repealed in 2001)

Sync

It's empty 90% of the year. It's a perfect place for this sort of thing. Worked for the pope a few years ago, worked here today.

Glenshane4

I think it is important

"We have had previous instances of Croke Park being used for (Roman) Catholic celebrations , and therefore they should not be averse to any other Faith."

Who gave you the right to dictate what the GAA should or should not be?

"Unfortunately in recent times we have all been disgusted by the Sectarian, Racist and Xenophobic rantings of a certain person and her followers."

How do you know that you all have been disgusted?

"The GAA are not to be praised for not being Sectarian, Racist or Xenophobic."

What could be wrong with being Sectarian, Racist and Xenophobic? If there have been stricter immigration control in the 17th century, my life would not have been ruined by the descendants of the immigrants from the Scottish Lowlands.

recedite

How much are they paying?
If they are paying the full commercial rate to hire the stadium, I see no problem.
No religion should be subsidised or endowed by the GAA.

StormWarning

It's empty 90% of the year. It's a perfect place for this sort of thing. Worked for the pope a few years ago, worked here today.
Not sure the point your making. Usually between paddies day and late september it's used every weekend and often twice a week. Thats 6½ months which means in calender year it gets more use then 99% of sports stadiums in Europe.

Well done to the GAA for forging ahead on inclusivity.

de valera's' giddy goat

Deep in the philosophy of the GAA is the idea of "Community", "Including Everyone*". The GAA has not always lived up to this ideal (as I am sure some posters will illustrate),but, in the present instance they have.

BTW : I'm not a great fan of Religion

* Yes the GAA used to have a rule excluding the RUC, British Army etc(Rule 21 which was repealed in 2001)
The best way for the GAA to include everyone is to encourage and invite people from minority backgrounds to play their games, which is happening around the country. Once you enter a GAA ground it should not matter what religion you are. And it mostly doesn't. Although I wonder what would happen in the unlikely event of the orange order seeking permission to hold an event in the stadium.

McTell

They have come on in the past 50 years - no member could play a "garrison game", no pop music allowed in clubs, no jazz in the 1930s, it was perfect for our decades of looking back in anger.

Then we stopped all that, and the Gah has changed with the times as well.

Buchaill Dana

I don't see the big deal here. Anyone can hire Croke Park. They built conference facilities and a hotel specific.

The slightly intersting thing is the pure, visceral hatred online.

Buchaill Dana

Is it though? How much does it cost to hire the stadium, and did they pay?
You think the notoriously hungry GAA gave the place over for free?

I have been to a half dozen events in Croker from Xmas work parties to full trade conferences. The place has something on every day. Yesterday was Eid and probably two other events

McSlaggart

Is it though? How much does it cost to hire the stadium, and did they pay?

Revenue generated from seven concerts in Croke Park this summer will reap a €5m windfall for the GAA.

How much this event would have cost I do not know.

Wasmanormouse

The best way for the GAA to include everyone is to encourage and invite people from minority backgrounds to play their games, which is happening around the country. Once you enter a GAA ground it should not matter what religion you are. And it mostly doesn't. Although I wonder what would happen in the unlikely event of the orange order seeking permission to hold an event in the stadium.
I suppose it would depend on the nature of the event. Setting fire to a big pile of pallets would hardly go down too well.

TakeitAll

I think it is important

The GAA opened up it's headquarter stadium to the Islamic Community.

We have had previous instances of Croke Park being used for (Roman) Catholic celebrations , and therefore they should not be averse to any other Faith .

Unfortunately in recent times we have all been disgusted by the Sectarian, Racist and Xenophobic rantings of a certain person and her followers.

I'm going, I know, to express this in an awkward, cack-handed way (please forgive me). The GAA are not to be praised for not being Sectarian, Racist or Xenophobic. My praise is for them knowing that they have already and will get more Sectarian, Racist and Xenophobic abuse and not giving a damn!
All been disgusted by who? I have been disgusted by Islamist terrorism beheading innocent people, running over innocent people, bombing & shooting innocent people meanwhile you are disgusted by someone having a different opinion than yours and having the balls to say what many think.

I am sure most of those praying in the middle of a pitch are peaceful people but why not just pray at home or out in a field, bog etc instead. It is all for show, a show of power and this kind of thing should not be allowed.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom