GAA shows The way

tsarbomb

"Eid marks the end of a month of fasting from dawn to sunset, as well as spiritual reflection and prayer. ."

Wikipedia

Lent (Latin: Quadragesima, 'Fortieth') is a solemn religious observance in the Christian liturgical calendar that begins on Ash Wednesday and ends approximately six weeks later, before Easter Sunday. The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer for Easter through prayer, doing penance, mortifying the flesh, repentance of sins, almsgiving, and self-denial.

wikipedia
There's ritual fasting in Buddhist and Hindu traditions too. Shure, all the religions are the same so....

McSlaggart

There's ritual fasting in Buddhist and Hindu traditions too. Shure, all the religions are the same so....
People of the Book/Scripture (Arabic: أهل الكتاب‎ ′Ahl al-Kitāb) is an Islamic term which refers to Jews, Christians and Sabians.[1][2] It is also used in Judaism to refer to the Jewish people and by members of some Christian denominations to refer to themselves.

The Quran uses the term in reference to Jews, Christians and Sabians in a variety of contexts, from religious polemics to passages emphasizing the community of faith between those who possess monotheistic scriptures.

WIKIPEDIA

redneck

Ba mhaith liom comhgardeas a déanamh go dtí an CLG. Inné bíonn lán brodúil ann.

redneck

Hope yesterday's event might help encourage dialogue between Christians, Jews and Muslims over shared spaces.
The beautiful Hagia Sofia Mosque/Museum in Istanbul is another source of contention. I hope dialogue is used to reach a compromise.

tsarbomb

People of the Book/Scripture (Arabic: أهل الكتاب‎ ′Ahl al-Kitāb) is an Islamic term which refers to Jews, Christians and Sabians.[1][2] It is also used in Judaism to refer to the Jewish people and by members of some Christian denominations to refer to themselves.

The Quran uses the term in reference to Jews, Christians and Sabians in a variety of contexts, from religious polemics to passages emphasizing the community of faith between those who possess monotheistic scriptures.

WIKIPEDIA
Wikipedia. What exactly are you struggling to say?

Buchaill Dana

No, just that the Aramaic ones pray to the same god as they are from the same place using similar rituals. All as alien as each other

tsarbomb

No, just that the Aramaic ones pray to the same god as they are from the same place using similar rituals. All as alien as each other
Aramaic ones? The Jews would love to hear that!

Are you seriously so deluded as to think that Islam isn't totally foreign to this country? Christianity has been here for 1,600 years and has established deep roots. Islam is a recent arrival and sticks out like a sore thumb.

McSlaggart

Are you seriously so deluded as to think that Islam isn't totally foreign to this country? Christianity has been here for 1,600 years and has established deep roots. Islam is a recent arrival and sticks out like a sore thumb.
Is that all? We have had religion on the island for around 9,000 years.

MsDaisyC

So it's the length of time a middle eastern, Bronze Age, fairy story peddler has been here that makes it acceptable? Christian proselytisers invaded, stole and bastardised pagan and celtic rituals to do so. It's makey uppy superstition that stuck.

tsarbomb

Is that all? We have had religion on the island for around 9,000 years.
I have no problem at all with pre Christian paganism. It obviously had a lasting effect long after Christianity came.

So it's the length of time a middle eastern, Bronze Age, fairy story peddler has been here that makes it acceptable? Christian proselytisers invaded, stole and bastardised pagan and celtic rituals to do so. It's makey uppy superstition that stuck.
Saint Patrick didn't invade Ireland.

MsDaisyC

I have no problem at all with pre Christian paganism. It obviously had a lasting effect long after Christianity came.

Saint Patrick didn't invade Ireland.
He was a foreign invader.

bactrian

I don't agree, but I'm not surprised at this happening. Just another sign of Ireland losing it's Gaelic nature and becoming, well... less Irish. This sort of thing will continue.
Cultural Purity is what we need , just as Brian Boru intended when he kicked those damned Danes out of Ireland. We should be all wearing kilts, dancing at cross roads and aitin spuds(none of them furrin spaghetti or MacDonald Burgers )

Christianity has deep roots here and I'm not necessarily a fan, but Islam is totally alien.
They are both invaders > Druidic consumption of Magic Mushrooms has been banned by these invaders. "Bring Back Getting High With The Gods"
It's totally alien to Irish culture in a way that many forms of Christianity just aren't. This is really obvious too
What is "really obvious too" is that this "Christianity is as invasive as Japanese Knotweed and just as destructive to our Celtic heritage!!

The religions are completely different. Different liturgy, moral values, religious texts etc
Quite right : Ban both "religions".

tsarbomb,Just thought I'd help you with insane ranting!!

redneck

Here is a story, last Easter I watched the Papal mass from Rome. It was in 3 languages, Greek, Latin and Italian.
I thought I was hearing and watching an Islamic ceremony. One of the Deacons had a big black bushy beard and It was great, but the closer Christianity gets to the Middle East imho, the more it looks and sounds like Islam.
The further it gets from Jerusalem, the more Westernized it is.

Sync

Lot of people calling him the welsh virus.

tsarbomb

Saint Patrick was not Irish!
He was Roman!

Cultural Purity is what we need , just as Brian Boru intended when he kicked those damned Danes out of Ireland. We should be all wearing kilts, dancing at cross roads and aitin spuds(none of them furrin spaghetti or MacDonald Burgers )

They are both invaders > Druidic consumption of Magic Mushrooms has been banned by these invaders. "Bring Back Getting High With The Gods"

What is "really obvious too" is that this "Christianity is as invasive as Japanese Knotweed and just as destructive to our Celtic heritage!!

Quite right : Ban both "religions".

tsarbomb,Just thought I'd help you with insane ranting!!
You're trying too hard to be funny. You must be a teacher.

Here is a story, last Easter I watched the Papal mass from Rome. It was in 3 languages, Greek, Latin and Italian.
I thought I was hearing and watching an Islamic ceremony. One of the Deacons had a big black bushy beard and It was great, but the closer Christianity gets to the Middle East imho, the more it looks and sounds like Islam.
The further it gets from Jerusalem, the more Westernized it is.
Well, it's certainly true that Orthodox Christianity has had to coexist with large Muslim populations for centuries, so it may be the case with them.

With the other branches of Christianity that are practiced here though, it's clear as day that they are miles apart in most respects and any similarities they do share are wafer thin.

MsDaisyC

He was Roman!
Well, it's certainly true that Orthodox Christianity has had to coexist with large Muslim populations for centuries, so it may be the case with them.

With the other branches of Christianity that are practiced here though, it's clear as day that they are miles apart in most respects and any similarities they do share are wafer thin.
Is it?

Last edited:

bactrian

He was Roman!

A bit piqued are we? Not getting the attention and respect we think we deserve??

Poor you .

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom