GAA shut gyms but open bars

CatullusV

Wear a mask.

The virus is not transmitted via sweat.

Change at home.
The equipment will be drenched in particles. While there is a suggestion that sweat can actually act as a barrier to viruses, heavy exercise will still expel more particulates. A mask is a barrier, but is not impenetrable. By that I am in no way suggesting that they should not be worn; I have been using them for months. It is just that they are not a 100% prevention.

Remember that a lot is still being learnt about the virus. There is now a sugestion that it can be transmitted in semen, although it is early days.

Buchaill Dana

There are approximately 2k gaa clubs which have to self finance
so of course profits and revenue streams are important

some clubs field 6-8 teams across all age and genders
some dual clubs in Dublin or cork will field more adult teams that there are clubs in Sligo or Leitrim or Fermanagh

running a senior club is big business
So is running a football or rugby club, but they have kept bars closed.

Buchaill Dana

I know...which was my point
So why have the GAA priortised opening bars in the future, and all indications are it will be another month, as opposed to gym facilites last month? Surely sport is the priority?

neiphin

So is running a football or rugby club, but they have kept bars closed.
I be that football clubs should have kept their. Doors shut
what soccer clubs do is their own business
I must confess that there is a lovely pint of Guinness in dalymount

neiphin

So why have the GAA priortised opening bars in the future, and all indications are it will be another month, as opposed to gym facilites last month? Surely sport is the priority?
Public health is the priority

Buchaill Dana

I be that football clubs should have kept their. Doors shut
what soccer clubs do is their own business
I must confess that there is a lovely pint of Guinness in dalymount
Which you can't have. Its a valid comparison

neiphin

Which you can't have. Its a valid comparison
In the interest of the public good,iam prepared to wait
more looking forward to the connacht final in Croker

CatullusV

My understanding is that profits play a large part in centralised GAA decision's...
I dunno whether you have been involved in running a sports club, but it is generally a hand to mouth existence, and a bar is an enormous part of the equation. Sports clubs from various codes have been deprived of a vital revenue stream for some months now. The bars are ,ot simply used ny playing members but also by pavilion members.

In the meantime the club and grounds must be maintained. No play does not lead to no pay. Groundsmen and others need to be retained.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The equipment will be drenched in particles. While there is a suggestion that sweat can actually act as a barrier to viruses, heavy exercise will still expel more particulates. A mask is a barrier, but is not impenetrable. By that I am in no way suggesting that they should not be worn; I have been using them for months. It is just that they are not a 100% prevention.

Remember that a lot is still being learnt about the virus. There is now a sugestion that it can be transmitted in semen, although it is early days.
Semen? That might see the use of face coverings increase.

Re gyms - these are generally cleaned down in any event...

GrimReefer

Financially, I have paid up front for my gym membership, as have all other members.

Keeping the gym shut is not affecting revenues, and there have been no noises about refunds, which I know is going to be another issue looking forward, this is a strong risk factor for businesses that get paid up front before delivery; it's tempting to get paid up front (and the spend the cash!), you may have to refund later.

I expect my local club to, at the very least, discount 2021 fees, but I am not holding my breath (and not for public health reasons).

In my case, the gym was fairly quiet, with at most another person there in the mornings, and plenty of wipe down materials available just before total closure. A "common sense" approach would have been to allow members to pick hours, even bi-weekly if it comes to it, to keep the numbers in the gym low.

As commercial gyms are reopening under public health guidance, there is no reason to presume that GAA gyms are unable to open, unless we must presume that the GAA cannot count on providing volunteer support for cleaning guidelines which staffed gyms would provide. I get the impression from the statements put out that the GAA is seeking to avoid at all costs the association of GAA and contracting COVID.

My local gym is in a sparsely populated area where there are no / few cases of COVID currently or historically, even in the region, and the usage of the gym is very low in any case. The GAA leadership however is making decisions as if we all lived in Dublin. There are times when I think the Healy-Raes are really on to something when they say "it's different down here".

between the bridges

I dunno whether you have been involved in running a sports club, but it is generally a hand to mouth existence, and a bar is an enormous part of the equation. Sports clubs from various codes have been deprived of a vital revenue stream for some months now. The bars are ,ot simply used ny playing members but also by pavilion members.

In the meantime the club and grounds must be maintained. No play does not lead to no pay. Groundsmen and others need to be retained.
Yes, and no Bar, sponsorship, fundraising and begging get us through...

Round tower

Yes, and no Bar, sponsorship, fundraising and begging get us through...
With pubs and bars close, GAA, Soccer and rugby clubs has being hit badly on lotto sales, i know most clubs are now doing online lotto sales but the pub sales is very important source of lotto sales

between the bridges

With pubs and bars close, GAA, Soccer and rugby clubs has being hit badly on lotto sales, i know most clubs are now doing online lotto sales but the pub sales is very important source of lotto sales
Which brings us back to the reason I said bars are open before gyms...

neiphin

You know yourself that there approximately 50 clubs in mayo, 3 have bars and none of them could depend on that, even the mighty Mitchell’s 5/6 good days , for an hour ( or 3 if the dubs are in town),

neiphin

You know yourself that there approximately 50 clubs in mayo, 3 have bars and none of them could depend on that, even the mighty Mitchell’s 5/6 good days , for an hour ( or 3 if the dubs are in town),
Knockmore = the Clubhouse pub or the church, (And neither of them have had a crowd in a long time)

bang bang

A lot of club bars are only open on occasions for functions and so on, it being unprofitable at other times.
There's a rugby club not far from me that has decent bar that's open 3 or 4 nights a week.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom