GAA The Masks Slips Yet Again.

death or glory

I honestly have not noticed any less Tyrone flags about. I actually have not seen that many up yet.
And they burn, burn, burn....

death or glory

Mickeymac

Hope it keeps you happy.

As I have said, many times before, how can people, who profess Christianity hate real Christians who believe in peace, justice and equality for ALL?

The OO and their associates need to get off the stage, or, attend Church services conducted by the Revends Lattimer and Goode.

shutuplaura

The GAA is a reflection of the society in which it exists, quite obviously. It is a different beast in Dublin compared to Tipperary, and in Northern Ireland compared to most of the south border counties possibly excepted. So I would expect the Ulster GAA to be just like it's community. And everyone in Ulster loves to troll the opposite community as far as I can see. Doing otherwise or, God forbid looking for compromise, is seen as a sign of weakness.

My Ulster Scots missus has no problem with me bringing the kids (one catholic and one Presbyterian) to the local GAA club on a Saturday. But then, being a Dublin club it doesn't do anything controversial like organizing a blitz named after a IRA hunger strike from 1981.

SgtBilko

The GAA is a reflection of the society in which it exists, quite obviously. It is a different beast in Dublin compared to Tipperary, and in Northern Ireland compared to most of the south border counties possibly excepted. So I would expect the Ulster GAA to be just like it's community. And everyone in Ulster loves to troll the opposite community as far as I can see. Doing otherwise or, God forbid looking for compromise, is seen as a sign of weakness.

My Ulster Scots missus has no problem with me bringing the kids (one catholic and one Presbyterian) to the local GAA club on a Saturday. But then, being a Dublin club it doesn't do anything controversial like organizing a blitz named after a IRA hunger strike from 1981.
That's a fair enough post. The Ulster GAA wishes to be considered all inclusive but, seemingly, misses the point that no unionist will want anything to do with it whilst it honours dead terrorists.

Those defending it's actions and the actions of its players and members need to think on if they are to be considered non sectarian.

McSlaggart

That's a fair enough post. The Ulster GAA wishes to be considered all inclusive but, seemingly, misses the point that no unionist will want anything to do with it whilst it honours dead terrorists.

Those defending it's actions and the actions of its players and members need to think on if they are to be considered non sectarian.
FYI:

The Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) is Ireland’s largest sporting organisation. It is celebrated as one of the great amateur sporting associations in the world.

It is part of the Irish consciousness and plays an influential role in Irish society that extends far beyond the basic aim of promoting Gaelic games.

It was founded on November 1 1884 at a meeting in Thurles, Co. Tipperary, by a group of spirited Irishmen who had the foresight to realise the importance of establishing a national organisation to make athletics more accessible to the masses and to revive and nurture traditional,indigenous sports and pastimes. At that time, it was largely only the gentry and aristocracy who were allowed to meaningfully participate in athletics.

Until then all that was Irish was being steadily eroded by emigration, intense poverty and outside influences.Within six months of that famous first meeting, GAA clubs began to spring up all over Ireland and people began to play the games of Hurling and Gaelic Football and take part in Athletic events with pride.

SgtBilko

FYI:

The Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) is Ireland’s largest sporting organisation. It is celebrated as one of the great amateur sporting associations in the world.

It is part of the Irish consciousness and plays an influential role in Irish society that extends far beyond the basic aim of promoting Gaelic games.

It was founded on November 1 1884 at a meeting in Thurles, Co. Tipperary, by a group of spirited Irishmen who had the foresight to realise the importance of establishing a national organisation to make athletics more accessible to the masses and to revive and nurture traditional,indigenous sports and pastimes. At that time, it was largely only the gentry and aristocracy who were allowed to meaningfully participate in athletics.

Until then all that was Irish was being steadily eroded by emigration, intense poverty and outside influences.Within six months of that famous first meeting, GAA clubs began to spring up all over Ireland and people began to play the games of Hurling and Gaelic Football and take part in Athletic events with pride.

What is your point? Posting up a bit of GAA historical propaganda means little in the context of whether Ulster GAA is sectarian or not. They honour DEAD terrorists = FACT. Players from clubs in Ulster shout sectarian abuse = FACT.

It's undeniable.

Last edited:

McSlaggart

What is your point? Posting up a bit of GAA historical propaganda means little in the context of whether Ulster GAA is sectarian or not. They honour DEAD terrorists = FACT. Players from clubs in Ulster should sectarian abuse = FACT.

It's undeniable.
Yes you are correct the GAA does have republicans as members. In fact republicans are the largest nationalist party in Northern Ireland. Martin Mc Guinness a well known IRA man was leader of you wee country.

SgtBilko

Yes you are correct the GAA does have republicans as members. In fact republicans are the largest nationalist party in Northern Ireland. Martin Mc Guinness a well known IRA man was leader of you wee country.

If you're trying to sell Uster GAA membership to me..... you're failing big time with the sales pitch. That's a bit like telling me I should send my kids to a particular school where Ian Huntley was a teacher. 🙄

McSlaggart

If you're trying to sell Uster GAA membership to me..... you're failing big time with the sales pitch. That's a bit like telling me I should send my kids to a particular school where Ian Huntley was a teacher. 🙄

I honestly think the GAA is better off without you as a member.

You could send any children you have to one of their many very popular summer activities.

death or glory

Do you think the Gaa is sectarian
It's a simple question and its asking your opinion.

We all know why you won't answer.

death or glory

You
I honestly think the GAA is better off without you as a member.

You could send any children you have to one of their many very popular summer activities.
Sure have you forgotten already.
Us Unionists are banned from the Gaa.

Like you could join the Apprentice Boys, all you have to do is lie and sign the form.

McSlaggart

You

Sure have you forgotten already.
Us Unionists are banned from the Gaa.

Like you could join the Apprentice Boys, all you have to do is lie and sign the form.
How would the GAA know if someone was a unionist or not? That particular club I know has "Prodestants" ...... More to the point the Prodestants have sent their children to the summer scheme last year and are going to do so again.

Itsalaugh

Galway sort of came from nowhere to win a football All Ireland in the 90s after a 30 year famine with a very young panel. It was by pure chance that the Manager who later went on to be a FG td in Mayo agreed that a documentary crew could film the teams exploits, motivations and personal.commitments from the depths of hard slogg winter training on freezing wet nights until their championship exit. I really can't give enough kudos how brilliant this documentary was. If it's equivalence had have captured the sacrifices and ultimate triumph of a professional rugby team or say Sheffield Utd making it to the premiership the Guardian, Beeb, The Times would have lauded it with acclaimation. Unfortunately I cant recommend it to yourself or your sons given the sensitivites you expressed because the tribesmen most promiently Michael Donnellan from a very well known east Galway FG lineage - and others such as Padraig Joyce, Micheal Meehan from strong FG FF lineages, constantly courted to be candidates - give a rousing, spontaneous rendition of the IRA version of 'Fields of Athenry' after they shocked a fancied Mayo side.

Last edited:

death or glory

How would the GAA know if someone was a unionist or not? That particular club I know has "Prodestants" ...... More to the point the Prodestants have sent their children to the summer scheme last year and are going to do so again.
McFly,
Well if they sign a form to say they want a United Ireland, that makes them not Unionists.

Now please answer the simple question, do you think the Gaa is sectarian.

death or glory

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom