Gael-Taca - Thank God the property market has collapsed

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
Cork-based Irish language marketing organisation Gael-Taca have a free service to property developers to come up with names i nGaeilge for new residential developments. Thanks largely to the Gael-Taca free service there is a significant number (significant in my view being around 10%) of new residential developments being named i nGaeilge in every county in the Republic today over the last five or so years bar in Dublin, Wicklow and Kildare (in Kildare it's around 5% which is arguably albeit to a lesser extent significant also). In several counties there are a large number of new residential developments being named in Irish- 30%+.

The "main man" in Gael-Taca was Pádraig Ó Cuanacháin who died in March of this year. He was clearly (although largely unknown) the best Irish language activist in the country. You can read an article about him from The Irish Times here.

Pádraig was the marketing man in Gael-Taca. Although other people have skills to keep the show on the road Gael-Taca was in many ways a one man show. He once for example was involved with marketing in Barry's Tea and knew the sector. Gael-Taca have advertised a position to fill Pádraig's place although the chances of them getting anyone as good or as dedicated as Pádraig are between slim and none.

So, in this recession we are in and with the property market having collapsed we can be encouraged to know that there are one group of people down in Cork who are not under any pressure today to name new residential developments in Irish!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DJP

Website
Twitter
Interesting but what was their business model? How did they generate revenues if the service was free?
They were funded by the Dept. of the Gaeltacht and a couple of city/county councils. They also occasionally were given money by business people.

Supermanpolitician

They were funded by the Dept. of the Gaeltacht and a couple of city/county councils. They also occasionally were given money by business people.

So our tax money paid for this "free" service.

If businesses needed a company to come up with maes for their products they should pay.
I have no problem with local authorities spending my tax money like this, but private enterprises should not get subsidised for a service they should be paying for themselves.

DJP

Website
Twitter
I have no problem with local authorities spending my tax money like this, but private enterprises should not get subsidised for a service they should be paying for themselves.
Yes but at very least a significant number- if not a large number- of developers would not avail of the Gael-Taca service if they had to pay. Thereby there wouldn't be as many names i nGaeilge around the country.

Supermanpolitician

Yes but at very least a significant number- if not a large number- of developers would not avail of the Gael-Taca service if they had to pay. Thereby there wouldn't be as many names i nGaeilge around the country.
And thus is capitalism! If they don't pay, they don't pay. You can't prop up a market for any service jsut by subsidising it. This has been proved time and again.

DJP

Website
Twitter
And thus is capitalism! If they don't pay, they don't pay. You can't prop up a market for any service jsut by subsidising it. This has been proved time and again.
The service is working in every county in the Republic bar the two or three I mentioned.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Exactly. It is working because our tax money is paying for it. Tax away the tax support and if it works, yipee. If it doesn't....tant pis and the French say.
So you are or you are not happy that your taxes are paying for this initiative?

Supermanpolitician

So you are or you are not happy that your taxes are paying for this initiative?
No. I pay enough taxes for supporting the Irish language already.
I pay for school teachers. I pay for Radio na Gaeltachta. I pay for Irish language newspapers. I pay for TG4.

Should there be a bottomless pit of money to support the Irish language? No.

Common sense is needed.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Should there be a bottomless pit of money to support the Irish language? No.

Common sense is needed.
Yes. You should be able to differentiate between good successful initiatives (which this one clearly is) and one's that aren't though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor Meldrew

Wasn't Taca Zanu-FF's (admitted to) fundraising arm? strange choice of name or hiding in plain sight???? :rolleyes:

DJP

Website
Twitter
Came across this thread again the other day and thought about it and realised I should clarify somthing in the OP. I said during the property boom there were a significant number of new rew residential developments named in Irish in every county in the Republic bar Dublin, ,Wicklow and Kildare and in several counties a large number.
What I know is that in (in no particular order) a large number were named in Irish in Galway, Donegal, Clare, Westmeath, Longford, Waterford, Leitrim, Kerry and county Cork (few in the city). A signficant number was named in Irish in most others. So what I am trying to say is that there could be a couple of more counties where there were proportionally few named in Irish on top of Dublin, Wicklow and Kildare. There maybe upto five more counties where there was less than 10% of new residntial developments named i nGaeilge during the property boom. So 18-8 or 18-14 on the island. If anyone is interested we can go into the counties where there weren't as much of a significant number if you want! :shock: :shock2: :evil:

Tea Party Patriot

The service is working in every county in the Republic bar the two or three I mentioned.
I think people would far prefer their taxes in thier pockets that supporting a language that is largely out of use for the last 200 or more years.

What the Irish language extremists don't seem to get is that if it can't survive on its own without bribing people to use it, then the demand for Irish is only artificial.

deise go deo

I think people would far prefer their taxes in thier pockets that supporting a language that is largely out of use for the last 200 or more years.

What the Irish language extremists don't seem to get is that if it can't survive on its own without bribing people to use it, then the demand for Irish is only artificial.
And what some Gaeilge-phobes need to realize is that paying for services to be provided to Irish speakers through their language of choice is not bribing people to use it.:rolleyes:

Paying for Irish in schools when time and again the vast majority of people say they want Irish in schools is not Bribery.

Giving people the choice of using the Irish language is not artificial, forcing them to use English by only providing a service in English would be artificial.

(Not aimed at you) Making up ridiculous stories about mountains of money being 'wasted' on Irish, despite no evidence to support the claims and repeating it often enough, does not make the claims true.

Dub guy

I would have thought that an organisation like Conradh na Gaeilge would have been only too happy to provide Irish language name suggestions to developers, if they were asked.
I don't see the need for a taxpayer funded agency to do this.

deise go deo

I would have thought that an organisation like Conradh na Gaeilge would have been only too happy to provide Irish language name suggestions to developers, if they were asked.
I don't see the need for a taxpayer funded agency to do this.
Most Irish language Organisations will do this if asked, Gael-Taca just seem to promote it specifically as a service they provide.

Gael-Taca is not really a Taxpayer funded 'agency' as such. They, along with most other Irish language organisations like Conradh na Gaeilge and Gaillimhe le Gaeilge etc are volunteer organisations that the state supports through grants, much like the state supports sporting organisations, theater groups, youth groups and even the Orange Order:eek:

clonycavanman

Taxpayer choses to support an Irish State; maith oiribh

It's a worthwhile (ie low-cost, and long-lived) investment in the Irish character of the State.
I have no problem with that.

New Threads

Most Replies