• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gaels in Ireland... and Gaill (Meiriceánaigh)

DJP

Reading and debating on this thread I started yesterday about the all-Irish naming policy possibly coming into Fingal I have been struck again by the anti-Irish language attitude some have. But hardly any of them are West-Brits. They are more Anglo-American culturally and probably don't have many if any distinctive Irish traits but they are probably more influenced by American culture than English culture (although ironically on the matter of naming residential developments we have been influenced a lot by strict English culture). If they don't like the Irish language or don't think that it is a desired language generally I would say that they are not true gaels. You don't have to speak fluent Irish to be a true gael in my view (and I am not even totally fluent either) but I think that if you don't like the Irish language and do not consider it desirable to be able to speak it and you are Irish that you are a gall. You could say a colonised Irish person except that today you are colonised by Anglo-American culture as distinct from Anglo culture. So perhaps the term should be a 'gall Meiriceánach'?

Considering that the term West-Brit does not apply to hardly anyone in Ireland (even the English people in Ireland have more interest in indigenous Irish culture then the nihilistic Gaill Meiricéanaigh do) it holds no water when you throw it at people. So again, perhaps we should use the term gall Meiriceánach a lot more often.

Last edited:

Sync

You should try and pass a law mandating that people are referred to like that. People love being told how to speak, it'd really make the phrase popular.

Sync

Sure. We certainly need another moronic phrase to replace an older moronic phrase. Now we've settled that, let's think of a new word for Honky.

DJP

The universe doesn't like a vacumn as M. Scott Peck said and the people I am talking about never or generally never express any pride in being Irish or have any respect for Irish culture so they should not be surprised when they are termed gaill-Meireánaigh or Anglo-Americans.

Sync

It's this sort of bollixology that stands in the way of language revival IMO.
It's like any minority cause unfortunately, the zealot loons always take away from the main discussion.

ne0ica

Sure. We certainly need another moronic phrase to replace an older moronic phrase. Now we've settled that, let's think of a new word for Honky.
Now Sync I have read some of your posts on the Fingal tread regarding the Irish language. I wouldn't describe you as a West Brit as such. I would say you have more of an inferiority complex about being Irish.

Sync

Now Sync I have read some of your posts on the Fingal tread regarding the Irish language. I wouldn't describe you as a West Brit as such. I would say you have more of an inferiority complex about being Irish.
How hard did you read my posts in the Fingal thread?

4horsemen

The universe doesn't like a vacumn as M. Scott Peck said and the people I am talking about never or generally never express any pride in being Irish or have any respect for Irish culture so they should not be surprised when they are termed gaill-Meireánaigh or Anglo-Americans.
Oh I have enormous respect for and take delight in Irish culture - especially the work of Swift, Joyce,Yeats, Shaw, O'Casey, Beckett, McGahern, Seamus Heaney, Colm Tóibín and many more. It is a particular pleasure that their work is a beacon of Irish culture across english speaking world. I suppose I must be a gaill-Meireánaigh .

DJP

Oh I have enormous respect for and take delight in Irish culture - especially the work of Swift, Joyce,Yeats, Shaw, O'Casey, Beckett, McGahern, Seamus Heaney, Colm Tóibín and many more. It is a particular pleasure that their work is a beacon of Irish culture across english speaking world. I suppose I must be a gaill-Meireánaigh .
I am sure you could be a gall-Meireánach and a gael. Do you see yourself as being a gael as a matter of interest?

DJP

I would be friends with some people who wouldn't see themselves as being gaeil. I don't have a problem with people who come moreso from Anglo-American stock. In relation specifically to Irish nobody in their family may never have spoken it and so it is not easy to expect them to. I do not like the hatred though by an element of the same people. Most of them don't come from traditional Anglo-Irish stock in the classic cultured sense though. I think they have long forgotten where they came from, if they ever knew. They have no interest in history. So what I am saying is that I don't like the hate-filled cranks or people against the promotion of policies promoting the Irish language if they are deemed to be necessary.

Riadach

Darren, you really know how to lose sympathy. I wonder is it something someone is tainted with by Fine Gael membership?

DuineEile

Drivel of the highest order. Gall means non Gael, not Anglo. You may have heard of the Gall Oglaigh or Gallowglasses. They, for example were Scottish.

As an enthusiast for Irish, you are nearly putting me off. God knows what you are doing to neutrals.

D

Cato

Darren, you really know how to lose sympathy. I wonder is it something someone is tainted with by Fine Gael membership?
Doesn't he? He also seems to exhibit extreme black/white thinking. What of those who have little knowledge or interest in Irish but do not draw their influences primarily from English or American sources?